Officially announced: discontinued!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

Seems to me that the issue will be the availability of electronic parts (which Leica do not make).  At some point they will run out of replacement sensors (or whatever). This will not be unique to Leica.

Some small car brands will have the same problem.  For a company the size of Leica, seems to me that the best they can do is get a statistician to provide a best estimate of future needs, and pre-order accordingly. Must be roughly the same with other manufacturers. With film cameras Leica can make a stock of parts – not so with electronics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

In practice there will be parts available for much longer time I presume. 

They clearly say "support for six years" To me that means that cameras will be returned unrepaired after that date. Otherwise they should have said "a minimum of"  The period is a matter of stock planning, which, as we have seen, may go wrong. But that is another matter (circumstances beyond our control,etc.)

the real problem is about the first T lenses from 2014 !! they are already out of the 6 years range. 

What's the problem ? the part inventory is already so low that Leica cannot commit to longer support ? crazy disappointing.

Ending APS-C line up is worst than I can imagine. 

Edited by nicci78

• jaapv changed the title to Officially announced: discontinued!

even worst, this is not a letter to the customers. It is intended to their employees around the world, about how to react... to distributors, customers or the media. 

Leica did not even have the dignity to make an official statement. They prefer to keep everybody in the dark

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 7

Then it's goodbye Leica.  Never again new leica L mount for me.

I will do what I can to warn new buyers against buying new L Mount. I bet the same thing will happen in a few years with FF Leica L.

Then L Mount is sigma and Panasonic ..

Guaranteed for 6 years.  From the date of acquisition.  

For me 2017 so I can get repaired for one more year spring 2023 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬.  That is totally unacceptable.  Why is it not for all 6 years ahead ???  😡🤬🤬🤬.

If Leica does not live the punishment of its customers, I do not understand.  

They do not even apologize for their handling of the case 😡😡

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I guess that the used market for Leica APS-C has crashed right now...

Hopefully I already sold all my L-mount stuff two months ago at a good price. 

I will never buy into L-mount ever again. It is a doomed mount, that already lost one leg. 

vor 41 Minuten schrieb gotium:

I think I’ll be looking to other manufacturers for all of my future photography needs

You certainly have an eye on the next Leica product 😍

Edited by M11 for me
  • Haha 1

My Olympus E-1 was first sold in 2003. I bought it used in 2007. I had it serviced, once, in about 2015 ... about two months before Olympus discontinued servicing the model because they had announced the end date for the service and suggested that if you were still using it, it would be good to let them check it out, renew the weather sealing, etc, one last time. Seven years later, it continues to work flawlessly, needs nothing, and I suspect it will keep going as long as I keep putting fresh batteries into it. I have Olympus HG lenses for the E-1 (and E-M1) cameras. They'll both work with both Olympus and Panasonic mFT bodies. 

I bought my Leica CL body in 2018. It has operated flawlessly for tens of thousands of exposures since, just like the E-1. I suspect it too will keep going until I no longer put fresh batteries into it. When it stops working, I'll just move to another camera. I have only Leica M-mount and R-mount lenses that I use with the CL ... and they'll be useful long after the CL body is pushing up daisies. 

So ... Okay, the CL is out of production. It's not a big deal to me, it's the course of things in this era of photographic equipment. I'll likely be using mostly Leica M cameras anyway, again, in another year: I'm loving what I get out of the M10 Monchrom, and will likely pick up an M10-R as well for a color camera. 

G

• Like 5