Q3 Grip - Official or 3rd Party

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, JTLeica said:

Lesson one, don’t click links in any text, WhatsApp, email, ever. That is 100% not from dhl, can you imagine… if it were them, they are only sending what you have bought to the address they were given by the sender, their customer, they aren’t taking down a different address from a random mobile phone number and altering the shipping address.

I know that, having worked with computers since 1962. I just used the tracking numbers they supplied and went direct to the courier's websites, one of which wanted a password and the UPS one did not recognise the number. 

Wilson

6 hours ago, LarsOtium said:

Just got Leica Q3 grip today. Fit and finish are excellent. Wireless charging on a charger we have for phones seems to work fine.

No access to card/battery as pointed out; however, a couple quick turns on release removes plate easily.

Time will tell how it will work in real world.

Oh I dont think I quite understood that before. No access to battery and card? Thats annoying. And no tripod plate. Hmm.

Do you think you will keep? I guess its a grip first and foremost

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adrianh said:

I love the Q3 grip. As said before, fit and finish are top. With wireless charging (or USB-C on the side) and Fotos APP , I  don't need to access the battery or card  usually. 

Kinda, definitely want access to the card though. And I would rather swap out a battery than trying to charge with a cable while using it.

• Like 1

I have now had the original Leica Q3 grip and used it for a month. Finish is ok and charging with an ordinary phone charger works.
BUT the grip seems "loose" at the top. It's not stiff enough. A lot of plastic. I definitely don't think it will break, but it moves 1-2 mm at the top when you use it.

So I will choose another solution when I get home from vacation.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

I have now had the original Leica Q3 grip and used it for a month. Finish is ok and charging with an ordinary phone charger works.
BUT the grip seems "loose" at the top. It's not stiff enough. A lot of plastic. I definitely don't think it will break, but it moves 1-2 mm at the top when you use it.

So I will choose another solution when I get home from vacation.

Interesting to hear. Yes definitely not for me, wireless charging seems pointless to be honest. Plus, wireless charging creates lots more heat that over time is supposed to hamper the longevity of the battery. 

Edited by JTLeica

On 8/19/2023 at 11:05 AM, ChrisGA said:

Hi,

unfortunately no acraswiss in the wireless-grip.

However I bought this one; it is light weight, thin, ergonomic, stabile, very good handcrafted, modular and very important: Access to SD and battery!

Also in black and other wooden materials….

But it isn’t cheap. After 10 days it arrived in Germany from Hongkong. 

I found it in an article on LeicaRumors.

https://idsworks.store/en-de/pages/ids-grip-for-leica-q3-features

FYI - I bought an IDS Grip. Looks top notch and the only one currently designed for it, that has a plate which is important to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2023 at 12:58 PM, wlaidlaw said:

I am using a cheap JJC Q2 grip on my Q3. It does have a battery removal hole but the card removal hole is not quite right, meaning the grip has to be removed to access the card. I will probably buy an IDS grip in due course. The ability to change batteries quickly IMHO way outweighs wireless charging. I have a KamerKraft grip on my M10-R which is beautifully made but they don't do a Q3 grip. 

Wilson

The JJC HQ3 has now been released, just bought mine from Amazon. The HQ2 had been on my Q2 since the start and is basically indestructible. The HQ3 has better cutouts to fit the Q3

56 minutes ago, summarity said:

The JJC HQ3 has now been released, just bought mine from Amazon. The HQ2 had been on my Q2 since the start and is basically indestructible. The HQ3 has better cutouts to fit the Q3

Oh balls, just spend 200 quid on an IDS one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 2:31 PM, Pierre69 said:

I have the same problem with my Q3 IDS grip.

1 hour after ordering and mentioning this issue I received this response from Henry: "it's mainly caused by the friction between the screw head and the bottom plate. As many hold the top of the camera turn it upside down and apply the screw (the screw may bring the plate to shift slightly).

Hold the edge when the plate and body contact make sure the cut out are kept aligned while turning in the screw. "

I hope that helps - I will definitely try to hold it by the edge and watch the alignment when I get mine and the Q3.

4 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

1 hour after ordering and mentioning this issue I received this response from Henry: "it's mainly caused by the friction between the screw head and the bottom plate. As many hold the top of the camera turn it upside down and apply the screw (the screw may bring the plate to shift slightly).

Hold the edge when the plate and body contact make sure the cut out are kept aligned while turning in the screw. "

I hope that helps - I will definitely try to hold it by the edge and watch the alignment when I get mine and the Q3.

I try and there is no more problem.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 2:35 PM, summarity said:

+1 Perfect access to both battery and SD-card. Only downside is the different upholstery ... 🤔

• Like 1

Just received my JJC grip for the Q3, all grand! Cutouts are perfect, removing of card and battery works flawlessly, only the hex for the mounting screw is a smaller version than standard, I will try to find a standard size screw. 

I paid 50€ on Amazon, which I think is as much as such a thing should cost. 

one niggle might be that the grippy part is covered in kind of a leatherette, which is not found on the Q3

really highly recommend!

Edited by geesbert
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 7:06 PM, TDK said:

The Q2 grip fits the Q3 perfectly.  Check out the video at the 8 minute mark…

I use the Q2 hand grip on my Q3, and it does fit perfectly.

However, at the 9 minute mark you can see next to the three electronic contacts on the Q3 a little hole, which looks like it accepts a locating pin to ensure that everything stays aligned.

The Q2 grip has no pin, and I have found that the Q2 grip will sometimes rotate slightly. I should not need to overtighten the attachment wheel just to keep the grip rocksolid and in place.

I hope that the Q3 grip has that locating pin. I've just received notification from Leica Melbourne that mine is now available for collection, so I'll know the answer soon.

As for the need to remove the grip to replace card or battery; I don't shoot video, nor do I shoot massive continuous bursts, so with a large card I've never been close to needing to change cards while out, and if I have to change a battery, it really doesn't take long. I had the grip, often with finger loop, attached to my Q3 on most days during my last trip and it made the camera feel much more secure in the hand (although I still kept a safety strap around my wrist)

I notice no one has mentioned the Really Right Stuff grips.  I have used them on 4 Nikons over the years and my Q2.  Just got a Q3 and contacted them about a grip/L plate for it.  Here is their reply:

"As of right now, we are in the early process of designing a plate. We are currently waiting for CAD information from Leica, as well as a physical camera, to bring into our office. As soon as we get a plate design made and approved, it will get started in the manufacturing process. At that point, we would know a more specific time frame for manufacturing and anodizing. For the time being, all the news is that a plate will be made soon!"

Since I use a tripod a lot, I need an L bracket vs just a bottom with a grip.  The Q2 model was very well made and fit my hand perfectly.  The are not cheap, however. Well, maybe my Leica standards they are not so bad.