The Summilux M 24mm f/1.4 thread - a tribute to a discontinued lens, let's see your images

Al Brown

On 4/26/2021 at 8:33 AM, northernlights said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As is obvious from the above and other images in this thread, the 24mm Summilux (and the 28mm Summilux IMHO) just have magic in them...

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lofoten Januar 2019 - M10, 1,4/24mm, f/4

• Like 15

On 4/1/2021 at 8:19 AM, Al Brown said:

This lens is one of the most intriguing Summiluxes that the mighty Karbe team at Leica has created. Nested between the very wide 21 and the "classic" 28 lux, the lens is a big favorite of some (German fashion and portrait photographer Paul Ripke and British photographer Alan Schaller, whose work is a true monochrome poetry, both use it almost exclusively), yet at some point in 2020 Leica decided to discontinue it along with its magnificent but almost 3 stops darker sibling Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH.
Show us your images done with the 24mm Summilux... do you use it as Peter Karbe intended (wide open)?

I got my copy couple weeks ago.  I just had to try the Summilux 24, even though I sold my Summicron 28 (my first and only 28mm) because it felt too wide.  The Summilux 24 is a very magical lens; I don't know what it is exactly, but I love it.  It's hard to believe that out of all the possibilities, this is the lens that Leica decided to discontinue.  Is the 21 lux seriously more popular than this lens?  Are enough people actually using the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21?  I don't get it.

• Like 4

Hi. I have a question to the owners of the 24mm Lux. Is is easy to compose with it using the optical viewfinder? I'm guessing the viewfinder blockage must be significant. I would love to try this lens but the blockage issue stops me and I don't like using EVF.

2 hours ago, Yigal said:

Hi. I have a question to the owners of the 24mm Lux. Is is easy to compose with it using the optical viewfinder? I'm guessing the viewfinder blockage must be significant. I would love to try this lens but the blockage issue stops me and I don't like using EVF.

Currently, I'm using OVF(bare eye, no glasses) on my M10-P and M10M.

ITMW, I am considering the new EVF for some special scenarios and use cases if it's compatible with the M10 series as well.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yigal said:

I typically use the Live View when composing and focusing, but the OVF works just as it does with my other lenses (i.e., i don't have issues).  The viewfinder blockage isn't t hat bad actually; it's very manageable.  Here is some pictures with my cell phone; the first one is the Summilux 24, and the second one is the APO 35, both showing the 35mm framelines on M10-P.  

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

I forgot to mention, I can't remember where the focus was exactly, but with the 24 it shouldn't matter because it hardly moves, and I know the APO 35 was at or near infinity.

Thank you, that was very helpful!

10 hours ago, MrFriendly said:

I typically use the Live View when composing and focusing, but the OVF works just as it does with my other lenses (i.e., i don't have issues).  The viewfinder blockage isn't t hat bad actually; it's very manageable.  Here is some pictures with my cell phone; the first one is the Summilux 24, and the second one is the APO 35, both showing the 35mm framelines on M10-P.  

Does the lens come with a ring to screw on the front thread? I would probably remove the hood if I decide to buy that lens.

1 hour ago, Yigal said:

Does the lens come with a ring to screw on the front thread? I would probably remove the hood if I decide to buy that lens.

No, there is no ring; at least mine didn't come with a ring, and I bought mine used.  I always use the hood because the very flat front lens element is very exposed without it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found a used one and took it out for a walk this late afternoon. What a great lens! Very gentle tones, not harsh, a modern vintage look.

M10M 24mm Summilux at f1.4 yellow filter, general exposure adjustment only no other manipulation 

• Like 18

M10-P, SUMMILUX-M 24 f/1.4 ASPH.

• Like 9

SUMMILUX-M 24 f/1.4 ASPH., M10-P

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2021 at 2:19 AM, Yigal said:

The blockage issue has been blown out of proportion. From the physics, does that mean the M system has a fatal flaw that will follow for every lens that is relatively larger? I would imagine all summiluxes, noctiluxes would fall into this class. There is always imagination and the will. Else, one can always go for TTL camera systems or EVF. 

Thanks to everyone for sharing your photos. I've been out of the Leica loop for a while and was a bit sad to learn this lens was discontinued. I never admired this lens very much as the bokeh becomes a bit thready at middle-distance focus, which is where I tend to shoot. Which is also how the bloggers shot this lens, which might be why this lens was never very popular. But you folks show off how well it performs as a "right in front of me" lens, which, on reflection, is what a Leica M 24/1.4 ought to be made for. Gorgeous. No apologies. And it also falls back as a merely excellent general purpose wideangle lens. I never wanted this but I always liked that it was there, if only as a statement. But now I reflect on the design and wonder: was it a statement lens? Or merely a rush job with the 21/1.4 to make the cropped M8 more marketable? I'm liking to imagine that Mr. Karbe was a bit piqued at pushing out a lens calculation that had potential but wasn't quite there ... and I can hope that he is now setting the stage for a fast/wide design that has the rapid focus/unfocus transition which has become his signature.

At any rate, you folks have shown me that I did not adequately appreciate this lens, teaching me a bit of humility. Please do share more.

Or, don't. Then, when a new model is released, the value of these will momentarily crash as collectors sell off their speculations, before rising again as photographers, out of the echo chamber, see its true value.

• Like 3