Officially announced: discontinued!

It has worked on this forum for decades - the only thing to do is to stay within your own moderation limits and to call in a colleague when needed  In about fifteen years I only made one mistake  by mixing up my hats - And Andreas corrected it generously. 😃

2 hours ago, elambo said:

Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

As an aside: "Posts in blue bold font are made as a moderator" -- I've moderated many forums and never been afforded the opportunity to post as myself. Always in official capacity, which keeps me honest but is also constricting when it comes to latitude of opinion. In fact, I've never seen a forum where the moderator could jump in and out of his official uniform. If it works, I'm glad to hear that, though I wonder if forum members, reading posts, are actually able to separate the two roles. Separate usernames (which reference each other in their signature) has worked for some.

Jaap's uniform has velcro fasteners so fast change is easy, and I would argue that's not difficult to tell which Jaap you are corresponding with!

28 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Quite the overreaction. 

Or deep despair of someone forced to use a camera he adores for 6 more years? Just kidding but in 6 years we will see arriving the M12 and a more compact SL hopefully, not to mention a possible EVF-M. Hope is life :).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found this camera and its lenses very good for travelling. With the two zooms 18-56 and 55-135 it was possible to do everything.
I thus completed the kit with the other lenses and various accessories.
Now that the system is being abandoned, what should I do with the camera, lenses and accessories?

38 minutes ago, kengai said:

I found this camera and its lenses very good for travelling. With the two zooms 18-56 and 55-135 it was possible to do everything.
Now that the system is being abandoned, what should I do with the camera, lenses and accessories?

Do what I’m doing - use this great camera and lenses everyday and pity the poor people that will never be able to buy them….

It is the end of Leica’s ambition into being the 3:2 aspect ratio company :

1 inch 2,68x crop. 
3:2 cropped m4/3 2.2x crop. 
APS-C 1.5x crop. 
24x36 full frame 1x crop. 
30x45 small MF 0.8x crop. 

I generally eschew the urge to editorialize in these types of threads but I'm going to add a few more cents to the gratuity.  I fully understand business models change and we're in a rapidly developing world that demands adjustment to survive.  My problem with the entire situation is not Leica's decision to discontinue the system but the way they've gone about the process; its their lack of candor with consumers. The memo clearly leaves the disclosure open to lower tier employees and only suggests "guidance".  That creates a minefield of potential inaccuracies or even po'ssibly withholding the information altogether from a buyer.  A less informed consumer could easily find themself in a situation of seeking out an enduring brand such as Leica only to discover the $8000 investment they made had a 6 year shelf life.  Shifting this responsibility away from management is questionable at best and indicates a willingness to less than forthright.  Personally, this strikes me as an arrogant dismissal of Leica's consumers with a cavalier air of contempt for the peons that purchase APSC products.  Perhaps Leica should quickly release a Marie Antoinette Commemorative Edition CL with embossed images of torte as a parting gift; it's doubtful I'm going to spare them the guillotine. 

1 hour ago, kengai said:

Use them?

2 hours ago, kengai said:

Continuing to use them until they are dead😂

2 hours ago, kengai said:

Now that the camera, lenses and accessories obviously have stopped working, they have become useless and degenerated into mere decoration. Best you make a gift of them to the closest museum that will take them.

Posted (edited)

The best hope for brand loyalists is that Leica releases a truly compact full-frame camera with sufficient megapixels for APS-C crop lenses too.

Panasonic has done that.  Sony has done it for a long time,  most recently with the A74, the A7R4 and the A1.  I have bought an A7R4 and thoroughly enjoy it so far.  It's a welcome change from the small, enclosed world of Leica concerns -- where Leica no longer seems to have capacity to service their customer's expectations.

Edited by rob_w

5 hours ago, kengai said:

Contax pulled out of the camera market but their 645 cameras and lenses are still in use and command surprising prices. Predicting the future is always tricky but equipment is intended to be used .....

My CL works fine, as does my Wife's. I use mine mainly with Voigtlander M lenses & will continue to do just that. I also use it along with some very nice Sigma L-mount glass. I'll continue to use it until I either sell it or it falls apart. The other option is to get mine converted to IR. nothing lasts forever so enjoy it while you can.

3 hours ago, rob_w said:

The best hope for brand loyalists is that Leica releases a truly compact full-frame camera with sufficient megapixels for APS-C crop lenses too.

Panasonic has done that.  Sony has done it for a long time,  most recently with the A74, the A7R4 and the A1.  I have bought an A7R4 and thoroughly enjoy it so far.  It's a welcome change from the small, enclosed world of Leica concerns -- where Leica no longer seems to have capacity to service their customer's expectations.

Better they do not in my view. Why bother with anything else from Leica when you know you and whatever will be abandoned sooner than later like the T,TL,TL2 and digital CL was. Better to buy from another brand which will be longer lasting, much cheaper, and most likeley even better. Don

Hi Don.  In part I do agree. OTOH Leica have been quite agile in adapting to and even anticipating market direction.  They are not the only manufacturer to throttle back their APS-C investment, although total abandonment is pretty harsh.  It would be great if they could rediscover their 'compact and high quality' genetic origins, but will they?  Sony are the modern inheritors of that goal: all their camera designs have emphasised compact and small, apart from a few prestige lenses which could be used as weapons.

Posted (edited)

One more hat in the ring: 

Not sure how to react to this. On the one hand, disappointed, not only as a consumer and user (looking at my several L lenses) but also for Leica, as this venture represented a very interesting path that doesn't seem to have worked out for them. Or at least not now.... maybe it was successful, and they changed direction, or maybe things shifted. Hard to know. 

Then another part is mad at Leica for yet again, offering a direction and then deciding it didn't work. Had a DMR some time ago, an M8 too, and none too happy about how they unfolded. That said, also now have an M10M, and couldn't be more delighted with its excellence. Does one accept the gambles as part of the process to get to something better? Maybe that's just life in the big leagues. 

And then there is the issue of discontinued. Well... I've been driving 1950s cars all over the country for some decades, and they certainly were discontinued a long time ago. And had Rollei gear that was also discontinued (or not, depending on a small group of individuals trying to keep it alive and service it). But I can't imagine motherboards for older electronics being newly made. Has anyone tried to service a 10 year old washer machine in the US? And I'm told its a major effort to get brake hoses for a 10 year old Italian exotic car. You think we have problems? Try owning one of those cars - which were designed for efficient production, not long term service. 

All said, I can't say the sky is falling with this news. One could (!) look at it as simply news, and not get bent out of shape. Gee, its not like we didn't know this was coming. And customer relations? Thats an office only partially occupied at Leica, sometimes generous, sometimes empty. They don't owe me an announcement of their production strategies - I simply bought a camera and lenses, not ownership in the company. 

Am I disappointed? Yes, because I like the camera and the lenses. Its a neat approach and well done. And I wish the products, the company and even us the users more satisfaction and further success, so it hurts a bit. But there are other problems in the world around us, other than the introduction, success, and then conclusion of a camera line. 

Just my .02$. 

Edited by geoffreyg