The Summilux M 24mm f/1.4 thread - a tribute to a discontinued lens, let's see your images

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This lens is one of the most intriguing Summiluxes that the mighty Karbe team at Leica has created. Nested between the very wide 21 and the "classic" 28 lux, the lens is a big favorite of some (German fashion and portrait photographer Paul Ripke and British photographer Alan Schaller, whose work is a true monochrome poetry, both use it almost exclusively), yet at some point in 2020 Leica decided to discontinue it along with its magnificent but almost 3 stops darker sibling Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH.
Show us your images done with the 24mm Summilux... do you use it as Peter Karbe intended (wide open)?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There still seems to be a lot of confusion as to whom the 24mm focal length on a Leica M is dedicated.
It is not really wide enough to justify the use of an external finder. If you look around the OVF, you can frame a 24mm lens on a digital M body by using extreme edges of the finder on the fly. It is also a very fledgling focal length in the Leica universe, present only since '96 (the 24 Lux came 12 years after that and lasted for 12 years before being completely discontinued in 2020). Whereas the 24mm focal length became the gold standard on most wide-to-tele system zooms (Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.), it seemed not super popular on the M bodies as a prime. Some said it was too wide, others said it was not wide enough. It was also bypassed on both M Tri-Elmars (WATE and MATE).

Edited by Al Brown

45 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

There still seems to be a lot of confusion as to whom the 24mm focal length on a Leica M is dedicated.

Not confusing to many here.  Maybe you’ll want to take the discussion to any of the other various threads, or start another, as the OP wants pics here.

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/272595-which-would-you-choose-21-mm-24-mm-or-28-mm/

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265721-21mm-vs-24mm-lux/#comment-3133084

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/307484-24mm-the-lost-lenses-of-leica-m/

And the black Elmarit M 24 f2.8 entered the catalogue in 1996 (chrome version in 1998).

Etc....

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

22 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

the OP wants pics here.

Funny you should mention that, as I am also the OP.
Thanks for putting the links here though, it makes it easier to find relevant information to those who search and stumble upon this thread. Always a good thing.
Leica Wiki states the production era of 24/2.8 Elmarit as 1998 (see attachment) and so does Mr. Rockwell... But 1996 is right.

• Haha 3

Funny... I didn’t cross-reference the posts.  You’re in charge!

Also interesting that Leica made a big deal of introducing a SL 24-90 zoom rather than the typical 28-75, and presumably an SL 24 Summicron to come. I would guess that 24 will be reintroduced to the M line at some point, but I have no facts to support.

I’ll credit the late Me. Puts for the M catalogue date information.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That Summilux bokeh tho...

• Like 6

Love this lens...

• Like 11

The Lux 24 is my "standard" lens. Either with the Monochrome or the M240 I love the signature it produces.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Ray Vonn said:

One of those lenses where I think if only one could get close than the 1m focusing distance. The results on other systems where you can do that (the Fuji 16mm F1.4 for example) are magical.

@Ray Vonn There is a quick and cheap solution for this - getting one of the Chinese made $30 extension tubes (Roxsen, Quenox) available in 8mm and 10mm (or Novoflex tubes at $250, or even the original Leica OUFRO 16469 used, but the prices have skyrocketed from $25 all the way to $200).
With the 24mm lens you can get fairly close with the 10mm extension tube - I remeber someone tested it with 24 Elmar and got in the 1:2 magnification realm (1:2.2 or something) at close focus (where magnification is largest). That's fairly close, right?
You lose the RF coupling, 6-bit coding (although I have seen the adapters with blank 6-bit slots to code yourself), infinity and there is some light loss, but Live View or EVF is the norm for such type of close-up work anyway.
Of course there are many other solutions getting closer focus (like close-up lenses, bellows, macro M lenses, using third party macro lenses with adapters etc.), but this one is by far the cheapest.
Hope this helps.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

@Ray Vonn There is a quick and cheap solution for this - getting one of the Chinese made $30 extension tubes (Roxsen, Quenox) available in 8mm and 10mm (or Novoflex tubes at $250, or even the original Leica OUFRO 16469 used, but the prices have skyrocketed from $25 all the way to $200).
With the 24mm lens you can get fairly close with the 10mm extension tube - I remeber someone tested it with 24 Elmar and got in the 1:2 magnification realm (1:2.2 or something) at close focus (where magnification is largest). That's fairly close, right?
You lose the RF coupling, 6-bit coding (although I have seen the adapters with blank 6-bit slots to code yourself), infinity and there is some light loss, but Live View or EVF is the norm for such type of close-up work anyway.
Of course there are many other solutions getting closer focus (like close-up lenses, bellows, macro M lenses, using third party macro lenses with adapters etc.), but this one is by far the cheapest.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Al, yes i knew about the adapter, but for me RF means lining up the RF patch, all part of the experience/fun and if I were to compose and shoot through the back of the camera, a flip screen would be preferable. A subjective thing for sure, but that’s just me. I guess the image output of the lens on, say a Kolari modded Nikon Z for example, would work wonders.

Edinburgh 2012, M9, Summilux-M 1,4/24mm, f/1,4, 1/16s, ISO 800, Capture One Pro 21 - Last order 🥃 😁

• Like 5

ƒ/1.4, Summilux-M 1:1.4/24 ASPH., M10-P

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

SL + 24 1.4

M10P + 24 1.4

M240 + 24 1.4

Edited by JCR33
  • Like 15