Officially announced: discontinued!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, Mark Brickley said:

You know I just bought my new CL after finding out it was discouninued, I figure I’m 57 now and let’s say I get unlucky and it fails just after the repair ceases then I get say 7 years from it. Let’s assume I live (and am well enough to use a camera) for another 30 years if I’m lucky then this will see me through a third of the rest of my photographic life. That’s good enough for  me! 

Mark

Well, almost a fourth (7 out of 30).  Then you can use a phone camera after that, and you will have a calculator, too. 😉

Jeff

23 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Well, almost a fourth (7 out of 30).  Then you can use a phone camera after that, and you will have a calculator, too. 😉

Jeff

In 15 years, 80% of current forum members will be using our portable device (whatever form it will take then) as our primary camera.

20 minutes ago, elambo said:

In 15 years, 80% of current forum members will be using our portable device (whatever form it will take then) as our primary camera.

I am using now a portable device as my primary camera, i.e. a camera. I haven't noticed it having any wheels or legs.

8 hours ago, lct said:

A portable device is supposed to telephone so if it does not telephone it cannot be portable, as simple as that :D.

Rember portable typewriters?

Posted (edited)
Am 29.6.2022 um 23:45 schrieb pop:

Not if it's the electronic board that needs repairs.

If he bought one new in 1998 (last production year of the M6) he had 24 Years of full service. Not too bad, i think.

Edited by Fotoklaus

9 hours ago, Fotoklaus said:

If he bought one new in 1998 (last production year of the M6) he had 24 Years of full service. Not too bad, i think.

If the control board in my new washing machine makes it 5 years I'll be thrilled. The last one hung on for 20.

We've had repair people out here several times, considering replacements of various things, and they ALL say "the newest ilk of electronic appliances are built to last just longer than your warranty. Ironically, we service far more new appliances than old ones." The phrase Built To Last didn't last.

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2022 at 1:08 AM, pop said:

Rember portable typewriters?

Yes, and I remember the Sinclair ZX-81, TRSDOS, CP/M, DOS 2.11,  and the machines that ran them.   I also remember daisy wheel printers!  They are all hopelessy outdated, and essentially useless.  Just like my Olympus Camedia E10 and my E-1.   I still have the E10, btw.  And in twenty years most of the early Leica digitals will be equally hopefully outdated and essentially useless including the CL.  Frankly about ten years will do it. 

Edited by hepcat

On 7/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, hepcat said:

And in twenty years most of the early Leica digitals will be equally hopefully outdated and essentially useless including the CL.  Frankly about ten years will do it. 

Outdated in 10 years? Certainly. Useless? I think hardly. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2022 at 1:10 AM, MJB said:

Outdated in 10 years? Certainly. Useless? I think hardly. 

The Olympus e10 was introduced in 2000. It was revolutionary.  Do you see any of them in use today?  Does it remain competent in todays world?   I have one.  You're welcome to it for postage.   All of the early Leica products are very similar.  And I don't believe most of them are in any demand or particularly competent in today's world.  Are you still using your M8 daily?

Edited by hepcat

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

The Olympus e10 was introduced in 2000. It was revolutionary.  Do you see any of them in use today?  Does it remain competent in todays world?   I have one.  You're welcome to it for postage.   All of the early Leica products are very similar.  And I don't believe most of them are in any demand or particularly competent in today's world.  Are you still using your M8 daily?

I’ve no experience with the Oly E-10, but you’re talking about a camera that was released at the very infancy of digital photography. IMO, very early digital cameras were technological novelties and produced barely passable images even when brand new - which is to say that the E-10 today is exactly as crappy as it was 22 years ago. 

I’ve never owned an M8, so not sure what you’re on about there. 

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

I still have my Digilux 2 which I bought in 2004 and still produces excellent images. See the dedicated thread in this forum.