Q3 Grip - Official or 3rd Party

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 hours ago, Aram Langhans said:

I notice no one has mentioned the Really Right Stuff grips.  I have used them on 4 Nikons over the years and my Q2.  Just got a Q3 and contacted them about a grip/L plate for it.  Here is their reply:

"As of right now, we are in the early process of designing a plate. We are currently waiting for CAD information from Leica, as well as a physical camera, to bring into our office. As soon as we get a plate design made and approved, it will get started in the manufacturing process. At that point, we would know a more specific time frame for manufacturing and anodizing. For the time being, all the news is that a plate will be made soon!"

Since I use a tripod a lot, I need an L bracket vs just a bottom with a grip.  The Q2 model was very well made and fit my hand perfectly.  The are not cheap, however. Well, maybe my Leica standards they are not so bad.

This is good news.  It was originally reported that they weren't going to make one.  I loved the RRS grip for the Q2.

6 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

This is good news.  It was originally reported that they weren't going to make one.  I loved the RRS grip for the Q2.

That is what they told me. Maybe the sales success of the Q3 has caused a revision of plans. Meanwhile very happy with IDS grip.

Wilson

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

That is what they told me. Maybe the sales success of the Q3 has caused a revision of plans. Meanwhile very happy with IDS grip.

Wilson

Just received my IDS with African wood, looks great. I notice on the left hand side a little lug, I guess that is to help locate it properly on the Q3 is yours like that too? Looking at a picture of the botton on an ePhotozine review the marked lug sits between the Leica baseplate screw and the 3 contacts 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by idusidusi

My IDS grip also has the locating pin. I too would not have minded a larger wooden grip, as after 35 years of psoriatic arthritis, the middle joints of the fingers of my right hand don’t bend nearly as far as they used to. I have a small lump of Lignum Vitae left over from making a replacement model traction engine axle bearing, which even my modest woodworking skills might be able to shape into a larger grip. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

If anyone else wants to make a bigger grip, there is a cheap source of genuine Lignum Vitae, not the inferior Argentinian variety.  All older lawn bowls balls are made from it and a ball that is too battered to be of bowls use can be had from your local bowls club. Mine from Barcombe, cost me a pint of Harvey’s bitter. After making the 1” diameter bearing, over half remains. 

Wilson 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought the IDS grip in the end and it arrived fast, within a week, well packaged and looks lovely too. I went for the Africa Black Wood.

Pro's:

Looks perfect

Fits perfectly, without any wobble

Its as light as a feather

Its very thin on the bottom and hardly adds anything to the height of the camera

I think you can take off the grip part if you want to - I might in future

TRIPOD PLATE 😁

Con's:

A little expensive, but not bad really

It doesnt seem the sturdiest

Its a small grip

Edited by JTLeica
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JTLeica said:

I bought the IDS grip in the end and it arrived fast, within a week, well packaged and looks lovely too. I went for the Africa Black Wood.

Pro's:

Looks perfect

Fits perfectly, without any wobble

Its as light as a feather

Its very thin on the bottom and hardly adds anything to the height of the camera

I think you can take off the grip part if you want to - I might in future

TRIPOD PLATE 😁

Con's:

A little expensive, but not bad really

It doesnt seem the sturdiest

Its a small grip

Snap, I bought exactly the same with exactly the same delivery and several emails with Henry at IDS. Brilliant service. Maybe the grip is a bit small, only time will tell.

• Like 1

After having the newly designed JJC handgrip on order, it arrived yesterday. It is an excellent grip. Very well designed with no "extra bulk" making it look very much like part of the Q3. The front grip part matches the Q3 colour and texture perfectly with the grip size substantial enough to allow your fingers to get a good hold, but not too bulky to appear mis-matched. The base is really well done, with full access to all "doors" so no need to remove the grip for battery change, card change etc. Then there is the bonus of the inbuilt Arca-Swiss compatible dove-tail that allows attaching to any Arca-Swiss style quick release mount. I was able to obtain this via Amazon Australia and it was under $80 AUD delivered - considerably less than some other brands/offerings.

Paul

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 12:25 AM, Ozymandias said:

After having the newly designed JJC handgrip on order, it arrived yesterday. It is an excellent grip. Very well designed with no "extra bulk" making it look very much like part of the Q3. The front grip part matches the Q3 colour and texture perfectly with the grip size substantial enough to allow your fingers to get a good hold, but not too bulky to appear mis-matched. The base is really well done, with full access to all "doors" so no need to remove the grip for battery change, card change etc. Then there is the bonus of the inbuilt Arca-Swiss compatible dove-tail that allows attaching to any Arca-Swiss style quick release mount. I was able to obtain this via Amazon Australia and it was under $80 AUD delivered - considerably less than some other brands/offerings.

Paul

Do you have a picture of how it looks?

• 2 months later...

THe IDS grip. The lightest one I've tried since receiving the Q3 (2 weeks back).  The recharging Leica grip is best handling, together with Leica finger ring.  The JJC is the best value and the IDS most stylish.  The lack of Arca swiss makes the Leica grip the least useful for me.

Leica's grip with finger loop

IDS grip with Arca Swiss support.

• Like 4

On 9/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, Ozymandias said:

Paul

At the jjc bottom, near to the battery compartment, there is an opening where u can slot in the peak design quick release.

Edited by My1stLeicaCam

7 hours ago, paul chiu said:

THe IDS grip. The lightest one I've tried since receiving the Q3 (2 weeks back).  The recharging Leica grip is best handling, together with Leica finger ring.  The JJC is the best value and the IDS most stylish.  The lack of Arca swiss makes the Leica grip the least useful for me.

Leica's grip with finger loop

IDS grip with Arca Swiss support.

Too bad they don't all incorporate the screw spot for the finger loop.  I tried all three grips, but settled on the Leica one, just because of the loop.  A MOST important feature for me in my track use.  I'll admit that the charging base alone would not have convinced me to go this way.  Cool look, by the way!  The gold trim.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 3:25 AM, Ozymandias said:

Paul

I too have the JJC handgrip for the Q3 and it is perfect. I had originally purchased the IDS and dislike it for two reasons. First, I dislike the cutout where my fingers reside. The straight edge is not that comfortable. Second, and this was my main reason for giving up on it, when you loosen the screw at the bottom, it falls out. Huh? What kind of a design is that? I can imagine losing that screw in the field. i contacted IDS, and frankly, they were rather blasé about my concerns. I have JJC handgrips on both my Q3 and Q2 Monochrom with no issues.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 7:29 AM, Dr. G said:

Receive this from RRS.  You can preorder the RRS Q3 grip now to be shipped in late February.  I ordered mine today.

We have the Q3 plate available for preorder right now! Here's a link to the site:

PRE-ORDER Leica Q3 Custom L-Plate w/ Grip (reallyrightstuff.com)

I've sent back the JJC grip. I liked the idea to have the Arca Swiss plate incorporated, and on the pictures it looked very good, however in direct comparison with the Leica branded one, it looked somewhat cheap (which is more than fair, it costs only a quarter of the price) and the bottom plate sticked in my hand. I will keep the original one or even use the Q3  only with the thumb grip like I used to do on my M11. 

• 2 months later...