Q3 Grip - Official or 3rd Party

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Morning all,

When I had a Q2 and Q prior, I bought a cheap grip, similar looking to the current one, and it had a tripod plate build into it, which is priceless for me.

The new charging grip almost looks like it has an arca plat poking forwards from the base, can anyone confirm?

Also, had anyone seen / found another 3rd party grip that has a plate built in?

I might run without one, and with just a standard plate this time but I am not sure yet.

Thanks

Hi,

unfortunately no acraswiss in the wireless-grip.

However I bought this one; it is light weight, thin, ergonomic, stabile, very good handcrafted, modular and very important: Access to SD and battery!

Also in black and other wooden materials….

But it isn’t cheap. After 10 days it arrived in Germany from Hongkong. 

I found it in an article on LeicaRumors.

https://idsworks.store/en-de/pages/ids-grip-for-leica-q3-features

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ChrisGA
  • Like 2

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Living as I do in the far south-west of the UK, Leica dealers are essentially non-existent in terms of being within easy reach, and I therefore often need to buy "blind". Having briefly used a Q2 with its matching Leica grip, and much preferring an Arca-Swiss fitting to the baseplate, the IDS has interested me for my (hopefully soon to arrive!) Q3. The hand grip itself does however appear to be significantly shallower (ie from base plate to top plate direction) than the Q2 grip, which I found comfortable. Have people with the IDS or similar third-party grips found this to be a problem?

I would happily try to source a Q2 grip if I could be certain that it fits the Q3 accurately, but the more I look, the more conflicting opinions arise. I apologise for opening this issue up again, but can anyone in my position give a definitive undertaking that the Q2 grip fits accurately, rather than just adequately?

On 8/19/2023 at 3:05 AM, ChrisGA said:

Hi,

unfortunately no acraswiss in the wireless-grip.

However I bought this one; it is light weight, thin, ergonomic, stabile, very good handcrafted, modular and very important: Access to SD and battery!

Also in black and other wooden materials….

But it isn’t cheap. After 10 days it arrived in Germany from Hongkong. 

I found it in an article on LeicaRumors.

https://idsworks.store/en-de/pages/ids-grip-for-leica-q3-features

I thought about this one and may still get one. I have one of the Lim's Q3 half cases on the way (it has a grip and Arca Swiss plate built in). I'll report back once I try it. I also recently acquired a Leica Thumb rest and don't feel I even need a grip with the thumb support. The Leica branded version is ridiculously priced...big surprise. I noticed Lim's now has a thumb support that looks nearly identical and much cheaper. I already had the Leica one or would have gotten theirs. These are all personal preference things but thought I'd at least mention these options.

Edited by MindsEye
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Woodstock said:

I would happily try to source a Q2 grip if I could be certain that it fits the Q3 accurately, but the more I look, the more conflicting opinions arise. I apologise for opening this issue up again, but can anyone in my position give a definitive undertaking that the Q2 grip fits accurately, rather than just adequately?

The Q2 grip fits the Q3 perfectly.  Check out the video at the 8 minute mark…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am using a cheap JJC Q2 grip on my Q3. It does have a battery removal hole but the card removal hole is not quite right, meaning the grip has to be removed to access the card. I will probably buy an IDS grip in due course. The ability to change batteries quickly IMHO way outweighs wireless charging. I have a KamerKraft grip on my M10-R which is beautifully made but they don't do a Q3 grip. 

Wilson

I returned the wireless charging one and bought the IDS version a while back. I'm very pleased with the IDS grip. I found the stock one to be incredibly bulky and if you're someone who every needs to swap SD cards or batteries you need to take it off. If I had to nitpick the IDS grip, it would be that the actually grip part is a bit small. Otherwise, size and weight are great and I've taken advantage of its arca-swiss compatibility multiple times.

Another option is LIM'S Q3 half case (I wrote a short review with photos) which is made with a lightweight aircraft aluminum + grip (Arca Swiss dovetail) with really nice leather for protection and full access to battery, SD card, ports, and tilting screen. I use a Leica thumb grip also. The combination is very stable, comfortable, and rather lightweight and svelte.

I've only had mine a few days. Because I like the compactness of just the camera, I may not use it all the time but one could certainly leave it on all the time.

Edited by MindsEye

1 hour ago, Dr. G said:

Does your SD card cover open easily with the IDS grip?  I have to play with it a little bit to get it to open each time.

It opens without issue. The first time I tried to open the hatch it was a little finicky but I haven't any issues since. Check the alignment of the base on the camera, perhaps it's possible for small offset.

Edited by clifak

I have received a very odd message today, purporting to come from DHL Express, asking me to confirm my address for a shipment, as they cannot locate the address shown on the package. When I click on the tracking link, again it appears to take me to a DHL tracking page but then wants my DHL account password, which never having had a DHL account, I cannot enter. I suspect the whole thing is some sort of phishing attempt but just to check, the only outstanding shipment I am waiting for at present, other than Amazon orders, is the IDS Q3 grip. I sent a query to IDS and in super efficient fashion, within ten minutes I had an answer back from Henry Tse, that they are checking with their shipper. Can't ask for better customer service than that. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have received a very odd message today, purporting to come from DHL Express, asking me to confirm my address for a shipment, as they cannot locate the address shown on the package. When I click on the tracking link, again it appears to take me to a DHL tracking page but then wants my DHL account password, which never having had a DHL account, I cannot enter. I suspect the whole thing is some sort of phishing attempt but just to check, the only outstanding shipment I am waiting for at present, other than Amazon orders, is the IDS Q3 grip. I sent a query to IDS and in super efficient fashion, within ten minutes I had an answer back from Henry Tse, that they are checking with their shipper. Can't ask for better customer service than that. 

Wilson

Lesson one, don’t click links in any text, WhatsApp, email, ever. That is 100% not from dhl, can you imagine… if it were them, they are only sending what you have bought to the address they were given by the sender, their customer, they aren’t taking down a different address from a random mobile phone number and altering the shipping address.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb wlaidlaw:

Wilson

IDS-Informations arrived only via E-Mail…

• Thanks 1