When will S3 be available? {merged}

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Jesse, I have used the S for some film digitizing, but the X5 is still better and easier. At least for me. I think this is an area where Phase has a clear lead, but they are geared towards institutions, and their prices are eye-watering (as far as I can tell, the list price for Capture One Cultural Heritage software alone is 6000 dollars). I am hoping someone figures out a solution such as a film scanning station that allows you to plug in your own camera and lens, preferably with auto-stitching etc, without needing a dedicated copy stand, lightbox and so on. Based on the camera scanning I have done, it is easy to get good results for the web or small prints, but to get something that challenges a drum scanner or X5 is quite demanding. Single capture needs to start at 60mp or more, and stitching is hard because it is not as easy to do with film as it is with, for example, a landscape in nature etc. The programs have more difficulty with skies on a negative and so on. That said, I agree that camera based scanning is the future, and also that the likelihood that Hasselblad is going to update FlexColor is pretty similar to the likelihood that Leica is going to put out the S3 for 10,000 euros and introduce a 1.4X teleconverter and 350mm prime. 

In any case, don't mean to derail! 

P.S. If you want to deal with color negs without scanner software, there is a German program called Color Perfect which gives amazing results with color negs...the best I have seen from any software. It is, however, a rather counterintuitive and complicated interface to learn. That said, it gets the job done, and likely will do a much better job than you will if you just try to remove the orange mask with curves. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson

9 hours ago, xiaubauu2009 said:

The XD series is sweet camera but it has really rubbish control and firmware. Feel like they didn't even test the camera enough before releasing. Slow and lousy lens selection. Pity really. Of all the small sensor MF on the market, it has the most potential with their design. They might opt for no shutter at all in the future as there might be full frame electric shutter down the path that won't have any rolling shutter effect. It's 17mm flange is really good for adapting anything! Sigma 105mm f/1.4 + X1D.... sweet....

Then it will be the best Mirrorless camera on the market. They have just register a x1D Mark II. I hope it will be better this time around with DJI money...

That is my thinking, too. Sometimes it may be ok to at least get the foot into the door with something. The software of the X1D is much like booting a Linux box ... 

9 hours ago, Photon42 said:

That is my thinking, too. Sometimes it may be ok to at least get the foot into the door with something. The software of the X1D is much like booting a Linux box ... 

I only try to use it about 3 times. Every time, it feels good in the hand, but the minute I start to use the menu and actual shooting... it really feel like an old old camera from the early 2000... slow and buggy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 4:30 AM, helged said:

For the most updated description of the S3 (at least as far as I can tell), see David Farkas blog at the Reddotforum: https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2018/09/photokina-2018-the-leica-s3/. The body is as S007, but with a new 64 mp sensor, new colour filter array, altered processing to avoid heating, but with the same Maestro II processor.

I love his reporting but DF is hardly independent or objective when it comes to Leica, and especially Leica S series reporting...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterv said:

Anyone seen this yet? Now I’m not saying this is the same sensor as the upcoming S3, but if this is true and the S3 sensor is anything like the one in the Q2,  it sure looks promising!

Seems like more of a test of exposure latitude than dynamic range.

Jeff

19 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Who is the first who will sell his car to get the new S3?

Half way done selling my GFX50S system and getting my Leica S lenses repaired....in anticipation of the S3. (but they have to fix the tethered plugin first, before they see my credit card)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think they are saying July or August now (Spring comes late in Wetzlar). I am kind of slowly losing interest - there are no teasers, no sample images and it is half a year after the "intro" at Photokina now. Shooting with the S007 now but missing Capture One tethering and file conversion. And yes, I could use better AF, that's for sure. My money may yet stay at home.
Btw, I hope that the first "tester report" will not be by a certain amiable English gentleman who usually shoots hedge rows and pet dogs, but by a pro photographer who's been given the opportunity to test the camera in the intended use scenarios, including in the studio, tethered, with strobes etc.

17 hours ago, albireo_double said:

Btw, I hope that the first "tester report" will ...but by a pro photographer who's been given the opportunity to test the camera in the intended use scenarios, including in the studio, tethered, with strobes etc.

What if it is by someone who works on location with available light? Does that make the report invalid?

Jesse

I don't think it invalidates it. But the wonderful gentleman referred to would admit right away that he is an amateur photographer and is interested in taking pictures primarily of his life, family and the places he visits. I would be happy to hear his take, as he is a good reviewer, but I think the post above has a point, in that the S is heavily intended for pros or for amateurs who are not looking for a "casual" camera. While I don't do a lot of photography of models myself, I am using the S in studio with strobes for artwork reproduction, camera based scanning, macro photos hooked up to a view camera, alongside my landscape and art photography, which is often done in bad weather conditions, at night and so on. I would also be interested in hearing about the video, and how it works with an external monitor. For example, did they fix the problem in the 007 where you could not record 4k to an external monitor because the HDMI standard they used was too old? I sure hope so, but seeing as the body is based on the 007, that is a big question. Personally I would find a review helpful if it addressed all those things. I doubt one might, but I can see why it might be less helpful to have a review that is a bit more focused on candids and vignettes from trips and so on, as nice as they might be. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 1