I Love My M10! {merged}

Paulus

Yes th

So they have come as close to classic film M design as this.  My wallet is going to be soooo sore.

Wait, am I seeing this correctly?  Does the screen/back of the body protrude outwards from the line of the top plate?

Yes the screen protrudes from the camera body by quite a bit

• 1 month later...

About the top plate being brass.   Well I'm using the old m7 strap on the m10. Turns out I got a slight wear near the lugs which was caused by the M7's strap (The plastic that covers the lug rings).  Showing through the paint looks silver to me. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.  Now I'm concerned if the top plate is really brass or not.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And here is mine  :wub: With a Luigi half case:

By the way: This picture was NOT taken with the M10.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Alex U.
  • Like 2

Is yours black? If so, it is black chrome... a black power coat covers the chromium plating atop the brass top.

About the top plate being brass.   Well I'm using the old m7 strap on the m10. Turns out I got a slight wear near the lugs which was caused by the M7's strap (The plastic that covers the lug rings).  Showing through the paint looks silver to me. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.  Now I'm concerned if the top plate is really brass or not.

Sorry, I do not know. It looks the same then my silver Summilux 35 Asph. It also looks not to far from my silver M7. The M7 seems slightly shinier.

Regards

Steve

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Would you mind posting a pic with your silver Summilux 35 on? Thx!

Is yours black? If so, it is black chrome... a black power coat covers the chromium plating atop the brass top.

Yes it is black.  Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I just noticed a sample picture on the Leia site which is the size comparison picture of the m4 and m10 together.   The m4 near its lugs shows the same silver like wear on my m10.

Leica uses various processes on their M cameras, depending on the model.

Black Chrome is applied onto a layer of Nickel plating. You only get to see the brass if you manage to wear through the Nickel, but it will start off by showing a silvery colour.

Black "paint" is different. It used to be a soft paint on brass, nowadays it is a more durable coating, but the brass will wear through fairly quickly anyway.

The material of the top and bottom is always brass, except for some special editions like stainless steel etc. and the M6 which used Zinc.

IMO it would be a good idea to start using more modern materials, like Carbon Fiber etc, but Leica has not progressed to that point yet.

a carbon fiber M10 body would indeed be a sweet camera. If Red Digital Cinema can build these 8k cameras in the USA out of CF...Leica should be able to do it in Wetzlar :)

• Like 1

Would you mind posting a pic with your silver Summilux 35 on? Thx!

• Like 8

Thank you Steve. Silver Summilux 35 looks good on M10.

I have the silver Summilux 50mm but I got the Summilux 35 in black. I am considering to get the Noctilux next and I think it will be a silver. A big lens like Noctilux in silver might not look as good as the black one though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I love my M10/ I looked and I don't understand why there isn't already a thread for this? Or are we only allowed to love our film Ms, which I do too?

Leica M10 Black Chrome with Silver Anodised 35mmSummiluxAsphFLE. Yes controversial I know, but no Leica's have any orange paint anymore (M7 discontinued was the last one) so why the orange paint on the black anodised lenses? So I went for Silver as it matches the silver bayonet that is quite visible on M10 and also the ft scale is red which matches the red on the M10. It also looks great on my Chrome film MP.

• Like 3

• jaapv changed the title to I Love My M10! {merged}