When will S3 be available? {merged}

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, geetee1972 said:

And that's my point - how do you improve on the S? It's already sublime in so many ways that all that is left for you to do is increase the pixel count and the reason we are a bit 'meh' about that is becuse what we already have is exceptional.

If that AF is exceptional, it’s only in the same way as rare guano in a hard to reach bat cave is exceptional (and sublime for some uses!).  Perhaps some folks would like it to stay the same, but a simple ask would be to make AF great again, and to make every S lens focus consistently, especially the S100.

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1

It is kind of interesting that people do not get it. The large majority of artists and professional photographers I have talked about it with do. Once you see the output and the handling, it makes sense. In particular, I have found that artists who are attuned to natural color spot the difference very quickly. Certainly the handling is easy to grasp (literally) from the early moments of using it, but I think very few people have actually shot with an S camera, let alone given it a trial run. From the outside, however, it does not make as much sense, especially by people who are more driven by price and/or specs. I certainly want it to be cheaper as well, but we'll see.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Haha, Price 😉 Since rest of them are all pretty clear. 

Better not to be overly optimistic regarding the price, I guess...

An 'upgrade program' from (at least) S006 and S007 has been mentioned, but this remains to be seen. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, helged said:

Better not to be overly optimistic regarding the price, I guess...

An 'upgrade program' from (at least) S006 and S007 has been mentioned, but this remains to be seen. 

Yep. there is still last chance to make from neg to pos...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jan1985 said:

How much do we really know about the S3? And is the information of Leica Rumors valid? There were so many discussions in the last months about the S3 which was additionally powered by the delay. In the end we just can wait until it's there.

Info on the rumour-site is similar/identical to the official info when S3 was announced in Sep 2018 (I guess), so no surprises there.

Being a non-studio/non-video shooter, central unknowns for me/my shooting are: Improved AF reliably (compared to S006/S007); colour neutrality; high-ISO performance; shadow noise/banding; highlight clipping. And, obviously, price... ;).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, setuporg said:

If it's really the case they're stuck with Maestro 2 in S3 while the SL2 got the Maestro 3, the S line is the underdog.  Not fair.

I don't want this to sound antagonistic, but that's so patently not the case and if you think it is, I suspect you're not using the full capability of the S, which Stuart Richardson pointed out, is in it's colour reproduction. This is what I mean when I said the only way Leica could materially improve the camera would be to find a way of shoehorning in a piece of 4x5 transparency film. If you get the light just right, the S has the ability to capture the kind of tonal range you only see in medium format film. The clarity of the Phase One and big sensor Hasselblad's might still improve over the Leica but I've not seen any images from those cameras that improves on the tonal range and colour. The SL2 won't even get close in that respect, though it will nail focus more consistently and more quickly than the S.

You have to take your time with the S as you do any MF camera digital or film. I've not tried the Fuji offerings but I would not be surprised if the same methodical approach also applies. I've had great results shooting more candidly and spontaneously but that has always been in good light and small apertures, smaller than f/11. Anything bigger than that and you need to be slow and very precise. If you work that way, your AF will nail focus far more consistently. If you want the S to function more like the SL/SL2 then that's what that camera is for (and lucky you you have both!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@geetee1972 I absolutely agree with you, and find myself in a very strange situation where I fell in love with the S system in September and by December I have a complete system (i.e. the body and every single distinct lens made for it, except all without CS except for the CS 70.). The color is mesmerizing, the rendering is magical.  Now I find myself in a conundrum where I know that I enjoy carrying one or two lenses on a walk, at most three in a Hadley Pro, but any kind of travel calls for an M/Q2/SL2/X1D.  Furthermore I know that if I sell the system I won’t get it back, probably.  But every unique image justifies it.  This forum is in a very strange place compared to the vibrant and crazy M or SL ones, where new hardware and resale are driving factors.  I like the end of the world, 100 years of solitude feelings here, that almost from Marquez.:). Let’s see what the S3 brings, and whether it will be another 4-5 years, as Dr Kauffman had hinted.  The S-to-L adapter makes S lenses excellent cinema choices on the SL2.  I hope Leica opens up the S protocol so third parties can take advantage of it.  We do need better AF.

23 hours ago, geetee1972 said:

I don't want this to sound antagonistic, but that's so patently not the case and if you think it is, I suspect you're not using the full capability of the S, which Stuart Richardson pointed out, is in it's colour reproduction. This is what I mean when I said the only way Leica could materially improve the camera would be to find a way of shoehorning in a piece of 4x5 transparency film.

Yes, I think this is right. Digital isn't my first medium of choice but a colleague and I work regularly with a client's S system and we are always very impressed by the quality of the S files – especially the colour. (The reliability of the system is another matter as all three of the lenses we use have, at one time or another, failed and we are seemingly forever 'rebooting' the camera by removing the battery.🤨) At recent prices, it has been possible to buy an S body for less than the price of a used M240, and that has always struck me as a bit of a bargain if a digital SLR is your thing.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, setuporg said:

If it's really the case they're stuck with Maestro 2 in S3 while the SL2 got the Maestro 3, the S line is the underdog.  Not fair.

I'm not sure the big addition to the Maestro 3 was video related, which is not near as important in the S3?  

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 8:17 AM, setuporg said:

and with only a 2gb buffer for 70mb dng files?  who knows whats changed

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 4:44 AM, ZHNL said:

https://leicarumors.com/2020/01/20/new-leica-s3-medium-format-camera-pictures-and-technical-specifications.aspx/

Leica has one more change to surprise us :) and make it positive for S3.  

keep in mind that S3 user-manual DRAFT copy, from which they posted screenshots of specs is from 27th nov 2018

its perfectly possible that some things have been updated

• Thanks 2