Jump to content

SL3 Availability


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ken,  Leica Store Sydney called me today, said the SL3 is due in shortly and asked if I wanted one.  I declined the offer.  For me, I can not justify the need for a SL3 when the SL2 and SL2-S still meet or exceed my requirements.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Ken,  Leica Store Sydney called me today, said the SL3 is due in shortly and asked if I wanted one.  I declined the offer.  For me, I can not justify the need for a SL3 when the SL2 and SL2-S still meet or exceed my requirements.  r/ Mark

Sounds like a perfect excuse for my first visit to Australia!

My own dealer in the southeastern U.S. (non-Leica brand store) told me that the good news was that I am #5 on his wait list. But the bad news was that Leica was telling them absolutely nothing about delivery schedules.  <sigh>  As this is a "want", not a "need" I can wait for the new Leica...as usual.

Thank you.

Edited by KenTanaka
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 Mine should deliver by Monday. I thought today was Thursday and that their "next day delivery" would have see my Leica arrive by Friday but I am a day out of sync 😃

I don't think there are many cameras in this April shipment (Australia) and that it was a surprise the shipment arrived earlier than expected. There must be quite a demand so I guess "everyone" will receive part of the orders already in place.   

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I cancelled an order with Leica Store Sydney this week as I didn't need a third body. So there's one extra in the system. Kind of. :)

If you're in Oz, ring your local Digidirect. I bought my second body by walking in the door in Sydney and asking if they had one. No waitlist.

Gordon

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

Well, I cancelled an order with Leica Store Sydney this week as I didn't need a third body. So there's one extra in the system. Kind of. :)

If you're in Oz, ring your local Digidirect. I bought my second body by walking in the door in Sydney and asking if they had one. No waitlist.

Gordon

Some people have all the luck.😉

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

If you're in Oz, ring your local Digidirect. I bought my second body by walking in the door in Sydney and asking if they had one. No waitlist.

Alas, as at the time of posting, no stock either:

Leica SL3 Mirrorless Camera | digiDirect

A similar thing happened when the L-mount 35mm f/2 APO was released a few years ago.  Only a tiny handful initially made it to Australia, and everyone else had to wait 6 months or more. I placed a deposit on one ($700) and gave up after 11-weeks. By the time you could actually walk into a store and buy one I had lost interest because I realised the lenses I had been using in the interim turned out to be good enough.  $AUD 7K saved.

Not the end of the world of course. But it's almost as if Leica don't want to sell these things…

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, AZN said:

Alas, as at the time of posting, no stock either:

Leica SL3 Mirrorless Camera | digiDirect

A similar thing happened when the L-mount 35mm f/2 APO was released a few years ago.  Only a tiny handful initially made it to Australia, and everyone else had to wait 6 months or more. I placed a deposit on one ($700) and gave up after 11-weeks. By the time you could actually walk into a store and buy one I had lost interest because I realised the lenses I had been using in the interim turned out to be good enough.  $AUD 7K saved.

Not the end of the world of course. But it's almost as if Leica don't want to sell these things…

I would hazard a guess that while Leica are still trying to fill the Q3 orders and then get the SL3 out (because people were waiting). The limited SL3 release in March was for people who pre ordered. Leica made enough cameras to complete those orders and now the camera is in higher demand because their marketing strategy has worked perhaps and it's a very good camera.

So now the monthly supply of SL3's means it can be a slow wait, like the Q3 with in some cases maybe taking up to 12 months. I remember when the SL 601 came out and it was some time before I decided to buy and I missed all the pre rush drama. Back in April 2016 I received calls from two local Leica shops wanting to sell me the SL at a reduced price. I don't think Leica ever do that kind of marketing however it worked and myself and a friend received our copies after a few months. It seemed that they had an excess of 601's back then and they weren't selling?

As it turns out when word of mouth gets around and the orders increase exponentially, Leica are faced with the daunting task of making more cameras and this happens every time a new camera is released. I am sure Leica organisation have their mission statements about quality and so forth and they just don't want to expand their operations in order to sell more cameras. They have a different philosophy which can easily be misinterpreted as a company "not wanting to sell cameras"

Best

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I ordered mine from AllGoodFriendCamera.  I’ve bought a lot of equipment from them.  Quick turnaround and fair prices including trades.  Danny is a pleasure to deal with.  Also you need to pay sales directly yourself in whatever state you live in - ie final sales  are without sales tax. 
 

https://www.agfcamera.com/products/leica-sl3-mirrorless-digital-camera-10607-brand-new

Edited by rcusick
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am definitely enjoying the SL3 and was lucky enough to receive it within days of launch. I planed to sell my SL2 W/24-70mm but just have busy with work and not gotten around to it. So last Sunday I loaded up both the SL2 and SL3, 24-90, 90-280 and the Lux SL50...This jarred my memory and reminded me just how nice it is to have two bodies sharing lenses, years ago with SLR's I always used two bodies but one reason was they were loaded with different films...Now as a 'hobbyist' in the digital world, I cannot really justify a pair of SL3 bodies but it is tempting to trade my SL2 W/24-70mm bundle towards a second SL3 body...🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As luck would have it, I came across a non-U.S. dealer who had 1 SL3 in stock!  This is a dealer from whom I’ve purchased hard-to-find equipment several times over the past decade so I had reason to trust them. So FedEx says my SL3 is on its way to me.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh.  Adorama changed their estimated ship date of SL3s from 4/14/24 to 6/24.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...