Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Swanage Piers

M9 / Summaron-M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 14

The local dealer ordered one when it was announced - it apparently has my name on it.  Still waiting ...

7 months !!??  Seems a bit long... have you been chasing him up ?

Mine has been on order from B&H since February and even they can't give me an update :)

When it does appear, I'll host a tiny lens party!

• 2 weeks later...

Took the dog for a walk on the beach.

TL2 with 28 Summaron-M 5.6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I'm of the same opinion and the reason is:

The scene is tranquil

The man in the doorway is still

The second man seems to be rushing - breaks the mood.

Mitch: as Exodies writes, really. I like the composition of the first photograph more, although the second photograph gives more information (the man seems to be working). Subjective, I know.

The first has a better composition and this subconsciously makes it feel better.

Composition is about the little things.

Upper window is uncropped and there is no unneeded chair in the lower left.

It looks like the same man, having cleared the table.

Exodies/Mike Rawcs/NB23/stephen.w - Thanks for looking and responding to my question on the preference for the first picture, on which you all agree. First, this is a restaurant called Da Conch Shack on Providenciales, an island in Turks & Caicos. The man in both pictures is the same waiter.

At first, when I examined in Lightroom the pictures shot that day, I instantaneously selected the second picture as the one to process (like selecting a frame from a contact sheet of a roll of 35mm film). After that I went on to process the first picture, which I liked less. However, when deciding which picture to post to my flickr site and here, I selected the first picture because I thought viewers would like it more, for the same reasons that you've stated: overall, it's a pleasing composition in terms of balance, the top window not being cut off, and giving more of what people often call a "sense of place" — it is also a prettier scene: I'm using the word "prettier" intentionally here.

Nevertheless, I kept on looking at the second picture and continued to feel that it's a better photograph: a more dynamic composition, and I liked the oranges in the sand, at the bottom of the frame, against the blues in the image; but most strikingly, I liked the gesture of the tree matching the gesture of the man, "gesture" in the sense of attitude in a "gesture drawing." For me, the second image says more and says it more forcefully — more meaning and more expression. In this sense, the chair in the left bottom foreground is helpful rather than unneeded.

Generally, my feeling is that, in judging images, our instantaneous first choice is, in most cases, likely to be the right one — the right one for ourselves, that is.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine