Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Thank you for the kind comments. I also bought a 50mm Summilux however I have hardly used it as the Summaron is just an amazing small, retro styled little miracle. I can see myself loving this for a long time. 

The shot is of Port Philip Bay in Melbourne. Its taken near Brighton Baths. I live in Brighton and knew rain was coming so a minute drive to the beach to capture this front coming through. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments. I also bought a 50mm Summilux however I have hardly used it as the Summaron is just an amazing small, retro styled little miracle. I can see myself loving this for a long time. 

The shot is of Port Philip Bay in Melbourne. Its taken near Brighton Baths. I live in Brighton and knew rain was coming so a minute drive to the beach to capture this front coming through. 

I bought this lens too a few weeks ago. Great little lens but had a hard time getting a 34mm silver UV and CPL filter for it. Looks much better with silver than black filters. Happy vegemite now that I found them 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you score one from Camera Lane Ozy?

Hi Rodders,

I am actually based overseas at the moment. Probably for another year or two. In Australia you can get Fujiyama Silver 34mm UV filters (online) but I have not seen them advertising Silver Pls or CPLs

I managed to track down a NOS Fujiyama Polarizer and a Marumi silver UV filter in two shops. Last one in each shop. 

Have not been in The Camera lane since Carl left (that was a long time ago).

Don't want to start a UV filter battle, but it seems to me the Summary-M f/5.6 28mm lens is so far recessed that one would be hard pressed to damage it, even when not using the relatively deep hood. Hence, I see no need for a UV filter.

:) agree, no UV filter for "aron".

I go  further, I never use the biggist (beautiful, heavy, etc.) hood supplied with the 28mm Summaron.

Don't want to start a UV filter battle, but it seems to me the Summary-M f/5.6 28mm lens is so far recessed that one would be hard pressed to damage it, even when not using the relatively deep hood. Hence, I see no need for a UV filter.

i don't use the bulky hood. Also I have filters on all my lenses for protection.

Sometimes I take them out briefly to shoot then back on again.

Over the years I have had waves splashed over my camera (not the M10), heavy rain getting in my filter (otherwise my front element,) mud thrown at me and my camera at 4 wheel drive trips etc etc

I don't leave home without protection as I do use my camera to take photos regardless of the condition.

Ever been at the front of a boat on a windy day? Everything is covered in sea spray. Not very good for the front element

If you are very selective in your shooting conditions then filters are probably not necessary. 

And the Songkran festival in Bangkok is also a good time to have a filter on.

i don't use the bulky hood. Also I have filters on all my lenses for protection.

Sometimes I take them out briefly to shoot then back on again.

Over the years I have had waves splashed over my camera (not the M10), heavy rain getting in my filter (otherwise my front element,) mud thrown at me and my camera at 4 wheel drive trips etc etc

I don't leave home without protection as I do use my camera to take photos regardless of the condition.

Ever been at the front of a boat on a windy day? Everything is covered in sea spray. Not very good for the front element

If you are very selective in your shooting conditions then filters are probably not necessary. 

And the Songkran festival in Bangkok is also a good time to have a filter on.

I don't use the hood. A UV filter seems to me not really necessary but I should be very happy to find a IR filter E34 to use the Summaron 5.6 28mm. on the M8.

...I go  further, I never use the biggist (beautiful, heavy, etc.) hood supplied with the 28mm Summaron.

Have you seen any difference in an increase in flare when not using the hood?

...And the Songkran festival in Bangkok is also a good time to have a filter on.

Agreed, though I would do Songkran photography in Thailand with a digital-M, not even with an M10.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Edited by Guest

Have you seen any difference in an increase in flare when not using the hood?

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Some time ago, I used one original Summaron 2.8cm screw mount, and like the old rendering (soft with flare in contre-jour mainly).

So with the new Summaron-M  28mm, I wanted the same "flare in contre-jour" and succeeded in some pictures, not all.

For me flare is what I want (feature with no hood ;) ).

In normal light, it's just another 28mm modern lens, if pretty compact.

CORRECTION: Agreed, though I would not do Songkran photography in Thailand with a digital-M, not even with an M10.

sorry for going off topic here but just for a bit of fun attached is the lens' eye view of water hitting it. The filter saved the day, that's why I never leave home without a filter. Never know what happens in real life:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dresden

MM1, 28mm Summaron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3