Leica Summaron-28 -image thread

helged

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO having the Summaron and not having to carry around all that weight and size is liberating !

When I first got it, I also was testing it out in challenging light situation and found that the combination of high ISO (1250) and slow shutter (here 1/30th), give perfectly acceptable results !

That being said, I'm sure I'll get an Elmarit one of these days :-)

All M9 - ISO 1250 - 1/30th - Summaron 28mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by ianman
  • Like 5

... and a couple more from that place (Coleton Fishacre in Devon, UK)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

This is so awkward.

All the iso 3200, 1/15th shots you're showcasing... wouldn't you feel liberated with an excellent elmarit or summicron?

Not at all. I have a Summicron 28 and am experimenting with the Summaron 28, a lens I rather like. In the last picture I posted on the previous page, for example, I was standing  about a meter from the painting's edge. Had I used a lens at f/2.0 or 28, the far right half of the painting would have been out of focus. Generally, I like the rendering of this lens, and like the perspective of the painting picture. The only problem is that I haven't had time to shoot enough. You may not like it, but that doesn't really concern me: reminds of recent correspondence on a book project that that I had with a photographer in Brazil. When I sent him my project I wrote that I was figuring out whether the world needed this book. He responded that a better question was whether I needed this book, rather than whether the world needed it.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

It has probably changed now but I ordered it the week it came out (late October IIRC) and it was for collection just before christmas. So roughly 2 months.

Because I was quite busy I didn't actually pick it up for another couple of months but that's another story :-)

• Like 1

It has probably changed now but I ordered it the week it came out (late October IIRC) and it was for collection just before christmas. So roughly 2 months.

Because I was quite busy I didn't actually pick it up for another couple of months but that's another story :-)

I ordered one about a fortnight ago from a London dealer, their allocation for June is two and both are taken, hopefully one will be mine !

Thank you both for that information. It looks as if I will have to enjoy the anticipation as a preparation for ownership.

Glad you like it. Every time I post an image here I am concerned that people cannot see the quality from the camera/lens.

When you start out with a DNG file and reduce it to a sRGB jpeg the size to fit this format, the file quality drops dramatically.

So what you see is just an "impression" of what is capable from the MM1/28 Summaron package.

Just like any other camera lens combination the image quality is hard to assess on the internet.

I will confirm however that the MM1/28 Summaron is a great combination, for size, handling, and image quality. 

• Like 1

Now I want one Summaron 28mm :p .

Even if I do use some 28mm (Summicron-M, Elmarit-M, Ricoh GR lens, Canon LTM and SLR lenses), if I can find one that's the question.

I do love Summaron in 35mm with that Summaron rendering second to none, sharp but not too much, just enough contrast to render lifeful images :rolleyes: .

What profile do you use for the 28 summaron on the MM1? Thanks.

As this Summaron of 2017 only issued with 6 bits coding, auto detect of Monochrom show "28/f/5.6" on info.

No manual selection for this 11695 item in MM1 even this is possible with M10.

When I use those old lenses (like Summar or Elmar, etc.), as I have found nothing in the menu, I just use them as "no lens detect", peace of mind.

And with each lens, their caracters remain intact include vignetting at wide open.

My photos with Summaron 35mm (LTM f/3.5 and M f/2.8) are film-like with MM1 as is, very rewarding for me.

Just remember to note which one if it's important to know.

• jaapv changed the title to Leica Summaron-28 -image thread