Anyone figure out why the 240 freezes up?

dant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just had my third lockup. The menu wouldn't go away when the camera was turned off, and of course I couldn't take a photo till I took the battery out and put it back in.:mad: I was not using the EVF. I was shooting indoors in 70 degrees F temperature, low humidity.

• 2 weeks later...
Mine has frozen twice since getting it in January. Both times in normal environmental conditions for the UK, while taking a series of shots in S mode - but not exceptionally quickly. I had to get the battery out. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 card. I'm an amateur, so I can live live with it, but it's a fault and it shouldn't happen, full stop.

Edit: I was shooting in DNG only, I don't have the EVF, and I wasn't using LV. And I have the .11 f/w.

This is exactly the experience (same card and firmware but I take both DNG and JPG) I have in the last couple of weeks started to have with a replacement M240 from last December (both lugs fell off the first one). And I had freeze ups in very hot weather in Namibia when I was using the EVF last November. Like you I am an amateur, so it is not life threatening...

Guest Nick932

I had mine for a few days it was shot 167. After taking the last shot the red light stayed on and the camera was inoperable. I used class 10 SD card. I had to take the battery off to make it work again. No EVF was used, autofocus assist could have been in Auto.

I returned and exchanged the camera. It is sad, everything else works great. I hope the new firmware will fix this issue.

I've had mine since September/October last year. I had a few freeze ups and then upgraded the firmware.

Since then it has been completely reliable without a single problem. That includes with and without EVF and in over 40°C temperatures.

Same for me but I started in Dec last year. It was very bad for me at one point with the camera freezing up every 10-50 shots.

Shot 2000-3000 shots over 2 weeks in May and didn't have it freeze up once.

• Like 1

I have latest firmware 2.0.0.12, Samsung 16GB SD card (my Leica dealer gave it to me). I am shooting in A with Live View.

I encounter reliable lockups in continuous mode. Maybe every fifth shooting session.

Weather conditions:

fine sunny day with temp. around 14 Degree Celsius. Moderate clouds, no wind. Both feet planted on ground, elbows firm.

Seems, my M 240 does not like Continuous mode too much. Waiting for new firmware release. Hope the best…

falk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick932

I had two lock ups with two different cameras; both brand new.

The first one after about 160 shots. The red light continued blinking the camera was completely inoperable. I had to take the battery off.

The second camera I was performing the Dust Detection and after the shot the camera LCD became black and would not do anything; no buttons would work. I just had to turn it off.

Both cameras came from a Premier Dealer and was discovered that he was selling used equipment for new. I do not know if the cameras were new or used.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes continuous mode and LV after camera goes to sleep a few times it will lock up...pull battery and your back, unfortunately you've missed the shot? Add that to missing the focus on some shots and camera metering missing the shot and a few other errors and your so happy when you see a picture that you nailed. ?Firmware Fix?

Had mine not only lock up but after battery removal/insertion the EVF decided to stay so very dark that it was not possible to see anything even though I was in bright sun light, often a rare event in St. Mere Eglise. Turned camera off and on two more times before EVF started working with100% battery and 80% fast 64GB Sandisk Extreme SD card.

YES,we need a FW update providing Leica knows how to fix this problem, which after one year of this problem for me, I doubt they a capable of a fix.

I have latest firmware 2.0.0.12, Samsung 16GB SD card (my Leica dealer gave it to me). I am shooting in A with Live View.

I encounter reliable lockups in continuous mode. Maybe every fifth shooting session.

Weather conditions:

fine sunny day with temp. around 14 Degree Celsius. Moderate clouds, no wind. Both feet planted on ground, elbows firm.

Seems, my M 240 does not like Continuous mode too much. Waiting for new firmware release. Hope the best…

falk

Similar to me - I have the feeling that high ISO does grow the fail-rate.

This missing reliability is why I'm looking forward to an firmware update..

Ciao Axel

Yes continuous mode and LV after camera goes to sleep a few times it will lock up...pull battery and your back, unfortunately you've missed the shot? Add that to missing the focus on some shots and camera metering missing the shot and a few other errors and your so happy when you see a picture that you nailed. ?Firmware Fix?

same here

If I shoot in single shot my hit rate is terrible, but in cont. shot the hit rate is like 85% I fire appx three shots for every image that's the only way I am able to get the focus (faces) don't worry I can focus on a tree with a tripod but I still bracket. But like I mentioned the camera will freeze sporadically...and its always in the good part!

On another note do you think anyone at Leica ever thinks about fixing whats wrong? before they release a new model, because if they do then we will always be looking for better and newer technology instead of buying a just released OLD M240 as fast as we all did.

The camera M240 we purchased came with 5 year old software and hardware we knew that going into the deal, but no we had to have it. Then we dream that after we purchase the camera, send the whole kit... body and lenses for a quick trip to Solms for calibration and a promise of nailing the focus hope, while all the time we are waiting for the next firmware just to make the camera do what we were dreaming it should of done before we bought it. Just saying the fact Leica has a new factory does it help take better pictures? Does the museum help us roll with the latest firmware updates? NOPE in case you didn't know the answer.

I wouldn't even mind dumping some more money to Leica to get like a preferred customer firmware release and several other enhancements so I could get out of the M240 what I wanted in the first place. I guess I just fell for it too. Oh ya! Leica just incase you didn't know a gold plated M240 engraved with my name and a picture of my aunt Sally, red leather wrapped, misaligned and troubled firmware M240 just doesn't cut it if your reading this Leica.

By the way if you didn't already know there is no smoking on airplanes and you must fasten your seat belt, glad they told me that!

If I shoot in single shot my hit rate is terrible, but in cont. shot the hit rate is like 85% I fire appx three shots for every image that's the only way I am able to get the focus (faces) don't worry I can focus on a tree with a tripod but I still bracket. But like I mentioned the camera will freeze sporadically...and its always in the good part!

On another note do you think anyone at Leica ever thinks about fixing whats wrong? before they release a new model, because if they do then we will always be looking for better and newer technology instead of buying a just released OLD M240 as fast as we all did.

The camera M240 we purchased came with 5 year old software and hardware we knew that going into the deal, but no we had to have it. Then we dream that after we purchase the camera, send the whole kit... body and lenses for a quick trip to Solms for calibration and a promise of nailing the focus hope, while all the time we are waiting for the next firmware just to make the camera do what we were dreaming it should of done before we bought it. Just saying the fact Leica has a new factory does it help take better pictures? Does the museum help us roll with the latest firmware updates? NOPE in case you didn't know the answer.

I wouldn't even mind dumping some more money to Leica to get like a preferred customer firmware release and several other enhancements so I could get out of the M240 what I wanted in the first place. I guess I just fell for it too. Oh ya! Leica just incase you didn't know a gold plated M240 engraved with my name and a picture of my aunt Sally, red leather wrapped, misaligned and troubled firmware M240 just doesn't cut it if your reading this Leica.

By the way if you didn't already know there is no smoking on airplanes and you must fasten your seat belt, glad they told me that!

Weird. I never had to send my whole kit in for calibration, despite having owned/ owning two M8s, two M9s and an M240. Sometimes a lens, mostly an old one, sometimes a body after dropping it or such, that's it... And yet I nail focus in well over 90%. In single shot mode..

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong....:rolleyes: Actually it is even more weird - my cameras even do what they should do - take very nice photographs....

Btw, there is a considerable lead time from drawing board to delivery for all camera makers, indeed for all technical gear. You will always be buying old technology in that sense. So what. Do you always buy things " because they are new"?

Edited by jaapv

Another point. I have learned that the lead time from desiring to take good pictures and actually being able to do it is even longer than the development time of the camera design!

It is therefore wise to devote more time to practicing that talent than blaming the tools.

The tools do work well. Not perfect, and none I have ever come across are. The skill is in using them for what they are. If and when they improve, be grateful.

• Like 3

This does not make sense - I wonder whether either you are moving a little which corrects a slight focus shift (either the lens/RF or your visual acuity), or that the problem is camera shake and one out of the three shots on continuous have no/minimal camera shake.

Edited by MarkP

Mine did a few times in the beginning but has been reliable since then.

Go figure, it seems to have become more reliable in time. Now I don't have any issues at all.

I am completely 100% speculating here, but it appears that Leica are not doing sufficient burn in testing of their electronics and contacts etc prior to shipping that are causing perhaps some non-persisting infant failures, possibly relating to memory errors or something...

My camera experienced both the bulb count down when S selected, as well as a few freezes and shutter locks when I first received it. These issues went away after a couple of months of use. I'm glad I persisted with the camera because I *really* didn't want to have to send it back and wait 6 months to get a replacement at the time.

My 240 froze up twice or thrice in 2500 shots. No big deal, but would like to know if there is anything that causes the freeze up. Anyone figure it out yet?

Thanks

It is therefore wise to devote more time to practicing that talent than blaming the tools. The tools do work well. Not perfect' date=' and none I have ever come across are. The skill is in using them for what they are. If and when they improve, be grateful.[/quote']

60 pictures today, manual ISO, Sandisk 45mb/sec card formatted in camera, nothing fancy, single mode (and not shot closer together than 2 seconds), 70 degrees F. Five lockups including three battery outs.

Please identify the universe in which a user ever develops the skill "in using them for what they [M 240s] are" or in which lockups are part of the "experience?" Is it the same universe in which a $7k camera are allowed to take the command to shot as advisory? Is it one in which a photographer is clairvoyant in knowing when to take that last shot before lockup? Is it one in which photographers have telekinesis to make group photo participants all face the same way in a group shot? How about babies? You'd have to be a real sycophant to defend this type of failure.

The lockups are getting more frequent. I'd at least like to have an option to nuke and reload the firmware.

Dante

Dante, I have absolute sympathy for your described scenario. I hope you can see the difference between what I was describing, directed at an earlier rant and your clearly dysfunctional camera. If that happened to me (it has actually, with another camera) I would do two things. 1. Pull out my spare camera (assuming Pro situation) and 2. Send the offending bit of gear in for service/repair, pronto.

I have lived through all the above scenarios, multiple times, in 50+ years, with multiple cameras and other gear. It happens whatever you may say. Be prepared, and deal with it.

For a Pro, it is part of the work experience. For an amateur, it is bloody annoying. Maybe this is why I have 40+ cameras! ;)

Such is my universe.

Edited by erl
  • Like 2