M11 freezing with overheating

Fritz Fritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today my M11 froze, like many other times, requiring the battery to be pulled. That much isn't new.

What is new is that the camera was very hot to the touch -- every part of the camera was very hot -- lens, top plate, battery, etc.

After several minutes I realized I should document this, see pictures below. The ambient air temperature was 66F, and at the time of taking the photos (3-4 minutes after pulling the battery), the camera was still in the 90s. It was definitely 40+ degrees above the ambient air temperature when I noticed the issue.

What makes this more odd is that I hadn't taken any photos or even touched the camera when this occurred. I turned it on, expecting to use it at a function, and left it on a table. About 2 hours later, I found it like this. Nobody else had touched the camera, as it was within eyesight the entire time.

What makes this even more odd is that the camera just got back from being serviced for freezing from Leica New Jersey. Leica said they couldn't reproduce any freezing with my body. It freezes every time I use it, and now evidently overheats too. 

By the time I do get this resolved, I expect I'll be trading it in for an M12...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Fritz Fritz
  • Like 2

Mine did this once when in my bag, on standby, lying sideways, connected to fotos (eco mode). Took it out and it was frankly hot and had eaten about 60% of the battery. Some sort of wifi/bluetooth death loop was my guess. Fotos turned off until actually needed. Bloke in shop suggested that it was possibly repeatedly nudging the shutter button as I walked which was keeping in it on mode. Possible.

Not done it since.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Derbyshire Man said:

PS, what's that in actual temperature for the other 96% of us on the planet that use Celsius 🤣

Look here you. Everyone speaks 'merican and fills their truck tanks with acre-feet of "gas", and DEFINITELY uses fair-uhn-hi!-T for temperature. 

On that note, my day job is working as an electrical engineer and to see most folks here struggle with unit conversions, or struggle to visualize basic units like "how long is a meter?" is troubling. Just remember that the next time you drive across a bridge here in the states...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Derbyshire Man said:

Mine did this once when in my bag, on standby, lying sideways, connected to fotos (eco mode). Took it out and it was frankly hot and had eaten about 60% of the battery. Some sort of wifi/bluetooth death loop was my guess. Fotos turned off until actually needed. Bloke in shop suggested that it was possibly repeatedly nudging the shutter button as I walked which was keeping in it on mode. Possible.

Not done it since.

I had something similar with M10 Mono.  It was being carried in a small bag and I hadn't realised it was switched on.  When I took it out it was really hot to touch, but cooled down quite quickly.  I also noticed that the previously fully charged battery was down to about 20%.

When I checked the SD at home to download [what I thought was] a dozen photos, I found over 1,000 blank shots.  It must have firing continuously in the bag.  I have since been careful not to carry any camera switched on in a small compact bag.  Hasn't happened since.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/24/2024 at 2:11 PM, Fritz Fritz said:

Today my M11 froze, like many other times, requiring the battery to be pulled. That much isn't new.

What is new is that the camera was very hot to the touch -- every part of the camera was very hot -- lens, top plate, battery, etc.

After several minutes I realized I should document this, see pictures below. The ambient air temperature was 66F, and at the time of taking the photos (3-4 minutes after pulling the battery), the camera was still in the 90s. It was definitely 40+ degrees above the ambient air temperature when I noticed the issue.

What makes this more odd is that I hadn't taken any photos or even touched the camera when this occurred. I turned it on, expecting to use it at a function, and left it on a table. About 2 hours later, I found it like this. Nobody else had touched the camera, as it was within eyesight the entire time.

What makes this even more odd is that the camera just got back from being serviced for freezing from Leica New Jersey. Leica said they couldn't reproduce any freezing with my body. It freezes every time I use it, and now evidently overheats too. 

By the time I do get this resolved, I expect I'll be trading it in for an M12...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have had this happen twice, where the camera did not go into automatic standby and became extremely hot.  It has not happened in the last 6 or so months, so maybe it was addressed with the firmware update.  I was worried when it happened the first time, that it could have damaged internal components due to the extreme temp.  Unlike you I did not have a device to read the temperature readily available.  Just curious, do you really have a device that you carry to weddings to read temperature...that impressive.

I had it happen on an M10-R once. The camera was not turned off in my bag and the Live View got activated for an extended period of time. The camera was very hot when I found it.

3 hours ago, LikameLeica said:

I have had this happen twice, where the camera did not go into automatic standby and became extremely hot.  It has not happened in the last 6 or so months, so maybe it was addressed with the firmware update.  I was worried when it happened the first time, that it could have damaged internal components due to the extreme temp.  Unlike you I did not have a device to read the temperature readily available.  Just curious, do you really have a device that you carry to weddings to read temperature...that impressive.

Ha! In fact we were hosting this event, so I was able to grab this thermometer from the kitchen. But now that you say it, that thing is super fun, so maybe I'll put it in the camera bag...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I had something similar with M10 Mono.  It was being carried in a small bag and I hadn't realised it was switched on.  When I took it out it was really hot to touch, but cooled down quite quickly.  I also noticed that the previously fully charged battery was down to about 20%.

When I checked the SD at home to download [what I thought was] a dozen photos, I found over 1,000 blank shots.  It must have firing continuously in the bag.  I have since been careful not to carry any camera switched on in a small compact bag.  Hasn't happened since.

I have always made certain that my cameras are firmly in the "off" position when I put them in the bag. 

"On" outside the bag and ready to shoot, "off" inside the bag.  It's a simple way to avoid mishaps and overheating.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, LikameLeica said:

Mine are on the latest firmware so no, not addressed in firmware updates. Element of randomness I think. Nearly always the camera goes into standby but for some reason this occasion it kept itself busy in the bag!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 12:26 AM, Derbyshire Man said:

PS, what's that in actual temperature for the other 96% of us on the planet that use Celsius 🤣

so for the rest of planet, 96F is 35,5celcius :)

so basically the man M11 is having a slight fever - so a touch of Paracetamol might help . Or whatever they call it over the pond on 'murica.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/15/2024 at 11:40 AM, fotografr said:

My wife calls them hot flashes. Maybe the M11M has reached the menopause stage. 

My thought exactly. 

Perhaps the M11 cameras could benefit from estrogen replacement therapy; nothing else seems to work. 😟

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

M11 freezing in Heat with V 2.02:  I've owned my M11 since February 2022. Camera lockups were quite rare until recently and this story may be heat related. I took the M11 to Thailand and Vietnam in early March 2024. The daytime temperature was 98 degrees and 95% humidity. I was using my M 50mm APO, aperture mode, ProGrade Digital SDXC UHS-II V90 300R Memory Card (128GB). The M11 just started locking up repeatedly. Battery removal was the only solution. Since returning to Los Angeles 67 degree low humidity weather, I've have not experienced  any problems. This may not mean anything, but I just wanted mentioned it.

• Thanks 1

I use mine in Florida with high humidity and often around 90 degrees without a lock-up. Strange that 8 more degrees would cause lock ups, but it happened to you. Some SD cards are not environmentally friendly.

I only use Sandisk Extreme Pro 300/s 128GB cards ever since having trouble with my M10M using Sony Tough 128GB cards.