Anyone figure out why the 240 freezes up?

dant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

May be it is really related to the SD card.

I had lock ups several times, changed to SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64GB 95 MB/s to increase the startup time.

Since that time I never had a lockup. (Change of SD card was already with the old FW, for ~1 or 2 Months, and now with the new FW is still ok)

Hope it'll stay like that. (NOT using EVF, nor LW)

For some weird reason, the 16GB cards seem to give faster start up and writing than the 32 or 64 GB cards. My guess is that the camera checks the FAT sector and Master Boot Record on the card as it starts up and before it writes to the card. In the 32 and 64 GB cards, these sectors may be larger and take more time to read and check. Otherwise I don’t have a clue why the 16GB would be faster. On the above basis, you would think that the 8GB would be faster still but it isn’t.

Wilson

For some weird reason, the 16GB cards seem to give faster start up and writing than the 32 or 64 GB cards. My guess is that the camera checks the FAT sector and Master Boot Record on the card as it starts up and before it writes to the card. In the 32 and 64 GB cards, these sectors may be larger and take more time to read and check. Otherwise I don’t have a clue why the 16GB would be faster. On the above basis, you would think that the 8GB would be faster still but it isn’t.

Wilson

My smaller cards have been slower on speed, so I can't compare them.

But the mention one is really good - wakeup time ~1.5sec.

Wilson

It was explained to me that speed and size are not always the limiting factor, but that the problem can be with the controlling chip of the card.

• Like 3

In other words, I focus on delivering, rather than complaining about the problems.

Agreed. But in this world, if not enough people complain about a problem then the problem does not exist.

And if the problem does not exist, it will not be fixed.

... but this is still offtopic ;)

Is a big chunk of my $7000 worth at least an official explanation of why my camera is still freezing ?

Guest Nick932
Have you asked Leica to provide you with a card that works with your next copy of the M?

Just a thought.

Another thought. Please let Leica observe you how you use and break their cameras.

That should give you and them some clues, I would think.

As a matter of fact the last card was provided by Leica. On this note they replaced the camera immediately.

The next one that they gave me after 115 shots it a kind of stop but it started going. I turned the camera off and the writing indicator came on. I turned the camera off and the indicator was going off except that nothing else worked except the light meter. I removed the battery and reset the camera.

Since the battery indicator was showing 25% left; I recharged the battery with the thinking that it might need more power. After the battery was charged to 100%, It seemed that all was working fine. I turned the LV off and the shutter release would not work. Effectively the shutter release does not work if the the LV is off.

That is why if it freezes more likely it means that you might have more issues!!! So the best action is to take the camera to them.

It is unacceptable to push their problem to an SD card. The camera tells you if there is no card or if the card is full. If it is the card in error why the camera does not say the error or the issue that has. It is ridiculous to blame the issue on a card this is poor design and more likely it is an issue that they cannot deal because it would require a substantial redesign which they cannot offer unless they change this part. IN effect this could be another camera.

Edited by Nick932
  • Like 1

Guest Nick932

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would be nice to know what are the official details before we dive in and give help or thoughts about his issues. I'd like to see the repair slips or return information especially from Leica, if there is any.

Sure Leica is going to give you their records!!!

As a matter of fact the last card was provided by Leica. On this note they replaced the camera immediately.

The next one that they gave me after 115 shots it a kind of stop but it started going. I turned the camera off and the writing indicator came on. I turned the camera off and the indicator was going off except that nothing else worked except the light meter. I removed the battery and reset the camera.

Since the battery indicator was showing 25% left; I recharged the battery with the thinking that it might need more power. After the battery was charged to 100%, It seemed that all was working fine. I turned the LV off and the shutter release would not work. Effectively the shutter release does not work if the the LV is off.

That is why if it freezes more likely it means that you might have more issues!!! So the best action is to take the camera to them.

It is unacceptable to push their problem to an SD card. The camera tells you if there is no card or if the card is full. If it is the card in error why the camera does not say the error or the issue that has. It is ridiculous to blame the issue on a card this is poor design and more likely it is an issue that they cannot deal because it would require a substantial redesign which they cannot offer unless they change this part. IN effect this could be another camera.

Many thanks for your explanations. Much appreciated.

I am enjoying my M9 after initial troubles and learning to work around them.

Despite my M9 experiences I was going to buy the M240.

However after having to wait for a year and reading about these issues on LUF I changed my mind.

I am still interested in getting a followon model to the M240.

But only if Leica improves their electronics in a major way.

To me it looks like getting an M is too much of a gamble.

One might get a relatively reliable copy or a lemon.

I'll just wait and see how the followon model turns out to shape up.

Guest Nick932

However after having to wait for a year and reading about these issues on LUF I changed my mind.

I still like the M240. The images are amazing but putting £5100 to such unreliable product is very hard decision.

• Like 1

Last week at the Street Parade, I had 2 lockups. Extreme Pro 32 card, recently formatted in camera. Numbering scheme changed from L100 to M240 in camera. B&W basic jpegs with EVF and red focus lines. Outside temp around 25C. Firmware is 2.0.1.5

The "electronics" in the M240 (what ever that means) are fine. I know you do not own the 240 so, you are a limited resource on the discussion of the M240, but it is a wonderful camera and it is in all ways much advanced to your M9 (which I also owned).

Anecdotal internet reports really are no substitution to actually trying the camera and certainly are not really fair game for your quotes as to why you believe the M240 to be a lemon gamble (your words).

I sincerely suggest you personally give one a real try rather than relying on other's internet reports. Like the hoopla reported on the Sony A7 series, most of us that actually bought that over-hyped camera sadly had to sell it.

So, give the M240 a try, it really is a great little camera and I really believe you would appreciate it.

Rick

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 1

Missed a couple of shots because I my camera had to wake up. Easily solved by adding an extra battery and switching off the energy saving mode.

Missed a couple of shots because the camera was in LV mode. Leica solved that in a firmware upgrade.

In the same firmware upgrade they fixed the auto ISO of which I didn't even know how convenient such an option is from time to time.

To me, the M240 is by far the most enjoyable digital camera I ever had. Over 6,000 shots in a couple of months. Never had a single lock up to date.

Not a lemon, but a trusty companion I have with me 24/7!

• Like 1

Had 2 freeze-ups w/ a SanDisk 16gb 45mb card. Have shot approx. 4000 actuations. Both freeze-ups came with rapid fire in S mode.

Leica store, Miami , seems to recommend the Transcend Ultimate 600x 90mb card. I just put one in the camera and shot 26 rapid fire shots in the S mode. No freeze-up FWIW. ;)

Just fired 3 rounds of maximum exposures before camera stopped to buffer in C mode. High ISO 1600 and 2000. Shutter one round at 250th and the other 2 rounds at 125th. Using Transcend card. No freezes. FYI...

Edited by drdannn
add info
  • Like 1

Guest Nick932
At the outset, let me emphasize that what I say is with the greatest respect for you. I would not enjoy your ordeal.

From the outside (where I am) it would seem the one common element is you. Leica software and cameras are abundant in the wild, mainly working well. Logically I would be closely looking at how you use the camera, what settings, how rapidly you shoot, do you chimp while the card is still writing, that sort of thing. What Leica said about your card may be right. Have you tried a different one? All these test are the quickest and cheapest way, short of returning to Leica. :eek:

I don't have any other suggestions. I hope someone else can do better for you.

Five! There has to be a clue there. :cool:

Sure,

I told the camera "hey freeze...."

I pressed the shutter release and nothing happens...

I thought that the image was correctly exposed and the camera underexposed by 2-3 stops....

I bought the camera brand new, in Leica store ... carefully placed a lens in a fairly clean environment and the sensor had spots...

If you accept all these issues then good for you...It would be a very poor choice and disrespectful to myself to buy a product that can record images well when it works.

Your camera was replaced 5 times already:

- two times because of sensor spots

- one time because it was in used condition

- and the two remaining replacements were due to camera lockups if i understand well.

Now you're complaining about lockups, underexposure and a faulty shutter release on a 6th body.

It is not sure that a 7th body will suit you more at this stage so i would ask for a refund if i were you.

• Like 2

Guest Nick932
Your camera was replaced 5 times already:

- two times because of sensor spots

- one time because it was in used condition

- and the two remaining replacements were due to camera lockups if i understand well.

Now you're complaining about lockups, underexposure and a faulty shutter release on a 6th body.

It is not sure that a 7th body will suit you more at this stage so i would ask for a refund if i were you.

WOW you have it figured it out more messed up than it really was.

If you want to buy used for new is your right.

Also if you want to buy cameras that give you wrong is exposure is also your right.

Or you press the shutter release and no image is taken.

May be you are related to that retailer. Or you have such practices.

This is a joke, why are you defending something that has not work. I guess is your right.

You need to look deeper and find out "What is your problem"?

How bogus.

Edited by Nick932

Nick932 I think you need to read and understand both your own and lct's posts.

You have have made a number of statements regarding the cameras you have had and returned.

lct has observed you stated disatisfaction and offered his suggestion as a way to eliminate your problem. He has not been critical of you personally yet you imply he has a problem and accuse him of being 'bogus'.

This contravenes our forum rules which prohibit personal abuse. Please refrain from this style in future.

You may not agree with the opinion of others as offered, that is fine. Similarly they do not have to agree with you. Sharing disagreements is fine, abuse is not.

My M240 has not shown any bugs (latest FW) but ONLY if I have live view switched off & Video switched off.

In this setting my M240 works perfectly. I truly believe that the live view setting (even if you don't use it) is causing issues.

One of them is when I play a image and zoom in the image would change to kind of purple image. When I shoot without live view no problem.

I can repeat this error every time.

Maybe it helps.