What is your favorite third party m mount lens in 21~28mm, f2.8 and wider

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Zeiss ZM Biogon 25mm f2.8 is my default lens in this range. I have also tried 7artisan 28mm f1.4 and TTartisan 21mm f1.5. I should mention I had Leica MATE 28-35-50 f4 e49 but was stolen. 

7A 28/1.4 is heavy, and need to stop down to f2 or 2.8 to make sense, TTA 21/1.5 is similar, need to stop down to f2.8, both does not show significant value if at all at the side of ZM 25mm, so I gave them away, MATE @ 28mm worked better than ZM 25 due to the lens compensation, but it’s gone and I have not found one worth to buy back yet. Recently released Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron type II sound attractive, but there is lack of convincing objective data and review. 

So I am inviting comments based on personal taste and experiences on lenses in this range. 

My 21/2.8, 28/2 and 28/2.8 are from Leica and my other UWA's (Leica 24/3.8 - CV 15/4.5, 21/3.5 & 21/4) are slower. The new CV 28/2 could interest me as a compact lens for digital CL but it is only 5mm shorter than the Leica 28/2. Not sure if its focus stick and 39mm filter size will sway the decision. FWIW.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the V1 Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2 and couldn't fault it apart from it being (understandably) a bit larger than the 28mm Elmarit ASPH.

The Ultron is superbly made and although it doesn't quite match Leica's optical performance the difference is so small as to be invisible in real-life shooting. As the nice Mr. Rockwell put it when he compared the Ultron V1 with the 28 Summicron ASPH;

"...99% of the time the images will be the same if you're worried about the picture and not the pixels..."

I haven't tried-out the V2 Ultron for myself but it's hardly likey to be a poorer performer than the V1.

Philip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Konica Hexanon Dual 21-35.

So much I ended up with two of them.

Saw one of those up for sale on FM, and thought, "I should grab that", but didn't.  Wish I had...

Edited by Danner

Next to the above mentioned Zeiss Biogon 2.8/25 is my favourite non Leica lens the Zeiss Distagon 4/18, it is extremely sharp and free of visible distortion. Meanwhile difficult to find because production has stopped, however used ones are occasionally available at reasonable cost.