Survey Autofocus 05/2024

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update 2024-05-22: Survey is closed – Thanks to all participants!

Here is a survey about how you use the autofocus of your camera by Katharina, who works for Leica Camera and is writing my Master's thesis.

Please support her by taking the survey!

My name is Katharina,

I am an employee of Leica Camera AG and I am currently writing my Master's thesis.
The aim of the survey is to statistically record the usage behaviour of customers when using autofocus cameras.

The only condition for participation is that you photograph with an autofocus camera, as this survey is about your experience of using autofocus.
It can be answered independently of the manufacturer.

For my master's thesis, I would like to know which settings are used and whether the camera is used for videography or photography.
The survey consists of questions with predefined answers and open questions.

I would be delighted if you could take 5-10 minutes to answer these questions.
Please imagine a specific scenario that can be captured with a specific camera and lens.

Participation is anonymous and the results will be kept strictly confidential.

Thank you very much for your support!

» Take the survey

• Like 4

I agree, hard to choose - multiple answers should be possible.

Fact is I am not happy with C-AF of my SL2-S and therefore even bought a Canon R3 for sports photography.

I hope Leica catches up. S-AF works pretty fine IMO.

• Like 1

There is a problem with the question about video focusing. The choices are all autofocus variants except for 'follow focus', a specific form of manual focus. There is no option for simple 'manual focus', which is my typical practice. I ticked 'follow focus' although that is not what I do.

Posted (edited)

Poorly worded, and the there is no "event photography" under what type of photography we do. Why even include the S5 Iix cameras if your question later asking how AF is set up directly corresponds only to Leica AF options?

Edited by Geoff C. Bassett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andreas,

Simply put this feels like a survey that did not include a pre-stage discussion with photographers about how they use the camera, their preferences, and priorities. You should then be able to write the survey in a form that photographers understand from that pre-learning. As it is the questions are hit and miss and this will impact both the number of respondents and the quality of the output.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Done ...... but I fear the survey design will not return results that are that meaningful  ..... no doubt that will become apparent when the thesis is submitted for critique .....

I am just reading ' May Contain Lies' ( https://maycontainlies.com/ ) which should be mandatory for anyone doing research or data analysis.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I would hope for Katharina's sake that Leica looks at the comments here and gives Katherina a second attempt to look at how to modify her survey so a) her Master's thesis has sound methodology and process behind it and b) Leica can learn something of value from the results.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Well as for a Master's thesis, a poorly designed survey IMO.
Seems she is an "outsider" / foreigner within the field of photography / video.

It would have been better to first speak in depth with some people in the field of photography / video.
And in more detail, also with Leica itself about what they want to achieve with it.

From there set up questions. (And first also discuss these questions and survey with the people who have been consulted).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All this criticism is a bit harsh IMO. I picked out what looked like a bug rather than a systemic fault, but had no trouble answering most of the questions based on my most common practice. A questionnaire that identified all the possible options for those with multiple ways of doing things would have been so long it would risk losing participants. I've seen far worse than this - on this forum, from Leica.

• Like 1

The questions are answerable . If you use comments, “it depends” and “other” quite a bit. But with all due respect, I agree the questions sound as not coming from a lot of practical background.

• Like 2

I think the challenge with a survey of this type is that for most photography, the answers are contingent. Night? Day? I chose landscape but I photograph both at night and during the day. I think being able to rank answers (as was possible in some sections) is a fundamentally more accurate way to survey. For example, I use manual focus in video as well, primarily, but I use AFc when I need to film a person or animal. I am sure she can pull some data out of this, but I also felt as though the large majority of the questions were "it depends". And not in the sense of I use Program mode 97% of the time and Aperture Priority 3% of the time, but truly 40% P, 30% A, 9% M and 1% S. So just choosing one is not particularly instructive as a data point.

• Thanks 1