What is your favorite 75 mm lens - why do you like it?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, adan said:

Dr. Mandler considered it his greatest optical achievement.

And he was right. Some people find it heavy and bulky, and I prefer not too big lenses on my M. But with this lens I have no problems at all because it matches somehow very well with the M body. I like to hold it on the lens and less so on the body. A 90 Summicron feels less natural on an M to me. Perhaps because of the weight I can still have sharp images with 1/45, or 1/30 in a good mood. 
I once owned the CV Color Heliar 75/2.5 and sort of regret having sold it. It has a very nice drawing and is not very present in your bag when climbing the Sacre Coeur, very nice for street portraits.

Edited by otto.f

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, lct said:

A 75mm lens at f/1.4 has almost exactly the same DoF as a 90mm lens at f/2. 

At the same subject distance yes.  For the same field of view the DOF wide open is even closer to the 50 f/0.95 Noctilux range than to a 90 at f/2.  

I like the 70 lux a lot, but due to impaired eyesight I mostly use it with an EVF.

Edited by Stef63

Posted (edited)
vor 3 Stunden schrieb Stef63:

At the same subject distance yes.  For the same field of view the DOF wide open is even closer to the 50 f/0.95 Noctilux range than to a 90 at f/2.  

I like the 70 lux a lot, but due to impaired eyesight I mostly use it with an EVF.

For the same field of view (e. g. close-up portrait) DOF is more or less completely determined by the f-stop of the lens (i. e. does not depend on focal length). Only more or less because DOF also depends on the optical design of the lens (e. g. compare Summicron M 50 with Summicron M / SL APO).

A longer lens just magnifies the bokeh, but does not mean that the ‚zone of sharpness‘ is extended.

Edited by FrankX

5 hours ago, robb said:

Used to own the 75 1.4 for about 5-6 years and thought it was a great lens for me with B&W film on my m6.  Not the easiest to focus and I wouldn't call it razor sharp, but great moody images and lovely transitions and bokeh with it.  Also thought it was great on the M8.2

Sold the 1.4 and added the 75 f2 apo a year after.  Loved that lens even more than the 1.4 on the M9P and M-P typ 240.  Still not that easy to focus on my M cameras with the viewfinder.  So slower to shoot portraits but doable.  Loved its size and sharpness though.  Loved the colors from it and the bokeh also.  Sold it after a few more years because EVF on M240 wasn't very good or easy to nail focus for me.  Needed a quicker combo.

Shot with the 75mm 1.25 noct on my SL2 with the adapter for an hour.  Nice feel.  Great look.  Sharp.  Easy to focus on Sl2.  Could not afford the entry fee to its ownership with all the other SL glass on my shopping list.

Just ordered the SL 75mm APO summicron...  Amazing image quality and size with ibis and AF...  Sold.  Although I would definitely try the M Apo Summicron on the SL2 again... 

Robb

Although historical, did you try the eye-piece magnifier when having difficulty focusing your short tele-lenses? I bought, and occasionally use, a 1.4x version and found it made a positive improvement. It is fiddly, especially if swapping lenses for wider versions. But it certainly makes for more accurate focusing.

9 minutes ago, adan said:

Adan's Law (a variation on Godwin's Law):

"if you mention "Depth of Field" within a photo discussion thread, you've automatically ended whatever discussion you were taking part in."

;)

In another photography forum I enjoyed discussing with a member who had the following signature :

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience"

Unfortunately he passed away some years ago.  He was a nice guy and I deeply miss his humor.

DOF 😇

assumed

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M(typ 262), Apo-Summicron-M 75mm

Later on with Summarit-M 2.5/75mm

seen here

M10, 75 + Elpro VIIa

On 1/7/2022 at 2:21 PM, wda said:

I bought, and occasionally use, a 1.4x version and found it made a positive improvement

+1

I like using the 1.4 magnifier with my .95/50 and my longer M-Lenses. It brings more accuracy, but you need an adapter to use it on the M10-series

On 1/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, robb said:

Just ordered the SL 75mm APO summicron...  Amazing image quality and size with ibis and AF...  

I had the opportunity to test the SL 75 for a week-end. I loved its sharpness, even wide open. But its bokeh can be a little nervous and is far from the painterly OOF rendering of the ‘lux 75.

2 different beasts !

one shot with the SL 75

I have both the 75 SL and the 75 Noctliux - both stellar, the SL makes it so easy to get a great photo it is like cheating, the Nocti is more of a character lens and a meditation to use. This was taken with the Nocti on the SL2 

This was taken with the 75 SL/SL2. You can get WAY closer to the subject with the 75 SL.

My only 75 experience is the 75 APO Summicron M. Right now it lives on my SL because my M10 is out for a rangefinder adjustment. I really like it on the SL and I'm tempted by the 75 Summicron SL but will probably go with the 90 Summicron SL as to not duplicate focal lengths.

'lux 75 is my only lens of this focal length.
With staggering prices on the second-hand market it may help finance an M12 or M13 in a few years' time.

1 hour ago, akiralx said:

also had the (non-APO) Summicron but couldn't tell the difference in results so sold the latter.

In the context of 75mm lenses (see thread title) - there is no such thing as a "(non-APO) Summicron."

There is the pre-APO Summilux. (1980-2006)

And there is the APO-Summicron (2004-today)

And there are the misc lenses that aren't either - 75 Summarits, 75 Voigtlander Heliar/Nokton, etc..

1 hour ago, akiralx said:

I agree with other posters that the 75mm f/2.5 Summarit is a very good lens - I also had the (non-APO) Summicron but couldn't tell the difference in results so sold the latter.

What's a non-apo Summicron, do you mean a 90/2? Just curious as i thought that all Summicron 75 are/were apo.