Brightin Star XSLIM-M 28mm f/2.8 M Mount Lens

DennisPT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Brightin Star 28mm, scale focus at f/8 with M9-P. Auto adjust with C1. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

28mm Summicron ASPH version 2, scale focus at f/8, shot with M9-P. Same auto adjust with C1. 

Edited by DennisPT

Brightin Star 28mm, f/8, zone focus, M9-P, auto adjust with C1. 

28mm Elmarit version 2, f/8, zone focus, M9-P, auto adjust with C1. 

3 lens lying side by side. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Huss said:

By 'scale focus' you mean you focused using the RF?

By the way, if you look at the sky area in your pics, it looks like your M9 has sensor corrosion.

Thanks for your response.  I meant zone focus, sorry for the confusion.
Regarding the spots in the sky area, I believe it’s from a dirty sensor.  Sensor ID is 15 and I hope it stays healthy. 

Still not available on their Amazon site...  Dennis - interesting that you have been able to buy it but it does not seem that they have ramped up production to make it more readily available.

I love tiny lenses like this, it makes M cameras so much more fun to use.  And easy to slip under a jacket or put into a large pocket.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:23 PM, DennisPT said:

Regarding the spots in the sky area, I believe it’s from a dirty sensor.  Sensor ID is 15 and I hope it stays healthy. 

I'd check into it.  That is a huge amount of dust spots if that is what it is.  It looks just like the sensor corrosion I had.

4 hours ago, cboy said:

Could the OP share their initial impression on the lens? i.e handling, IQ, comparisons to other same fl lenses. It looks like a fun lens to get for street photography and cheaper than the ms optics lens.

He has posted pics above vs a Summicron 28.

Thanks for your comments and sharing of your thoughts. 

@Huss I bought it from a Chinese retailer so I have no clue about the production run and factory information. Regarding my M9P sensor, I am not very good at wet cleaning so I reckon some dirts became rather difficult to remove after a few subpar wet cleans. To be honest, I don’t want to risk breaking the sensor glass by trying too hard and I have learnt to live with the spots. 

@cboy The only issue I have with this lens is the locking mechanism that I mentioned in my first few posts. I have reflected this issue to the retailer and I’m hoping he can tell the factory to do something about it. The focusing is rather smooth and aperture operation is on par with any lens of this size. I don’t have a suitable filter nor do I have a shade. I just use the screw down lens cap when the camera is in my bag and take the cap off when I take photos. I think putting a lens shade on may make changing aperture a bit difficult. The DOF at f/2.8 is shallower than I expected and I didn’t check if there is any focus shift. All and all, I am pleased with what this lens gave me (particularly it’s the only 28mm pancake lens of my knowledge that has 0.7m closest focusing), it has a modern look as shown in the photos that I took. At f/16, corner smearing became minimal (though still visible when enlarged) but consider the compact size, I can live with it. Of course, YMMV. 

Edited by DennisPT
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenhilltony said:

The corners are still awful and plastic like at F8…

I am looking at the full size comparison shots Dennis posted above  - the Summicron vs the Brightin at f8 - and do not see what you are seeing.  At all.

Full enlargement, looking at the corners.

Edit - if you compare the last two pics - the Brightin vs the Elmarit - and check the bottom left corner, the Elmarit is much blurrier.

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1