Brightin Star XSLIM-M 28mm f/2.8 M Mount Lens

DennisPT

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

I just received my lens today, and I noticed that it doesn't click when being screwed on. Is this normal behavior? All of my Leica lenses click when properly mounted. I have never encountered a lens that doesn't do that, so before I potentially damage it by screwing it too hard, I wanted to check if yours behaves the same way.

Also, I noticed that the MP is not listed as a supported camera for this lens on Brightin Star's official website. When I asked their support via live chat, they confirmed that the MP is not supported. However, I was suspicious that the person didn't know and just confirmed what I saw on the website. Despite my doubts, I still ordered the lens and mounted it on my MP without any issues. However, I have not yet had the chance to shoot with it. Can anyone confirm whether this lens works fine with the MP?

Update: I noticed that Huss used his MP with this lens, so there is no doubt that it works.

Happy new year Hirohhhh!

Please see my #10 post on page 1.  The copy I have could be unlocked when I pressed the lens release button, without touching the lens.  Despite this, the lens did click and stayed on the camera when I mounted it. 
Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DennisPT said:

Happy new year Hirohhhh!

Please see my #10 post on page 1.  The copy I have could be unlocked when I pressed the lens release button, without touching the lens.  Despite this, the lens did click and stayed on the camera when I mounted it. 
Hope this helps. 

Happy new year Dennis.

Mine doesn't click, unlike every other Leica lens. With this one, I can fully screw it in and unscrew it without even touching the lens release button. It's pretty stiff, but I can manage to do it. I've never heard any click sound in either direction.

On my M10-R body, it doesn't click either, but it does secure it. On the MP, I can unscrew it by hand, no matter how much force I put into tightening it.

Update: It seems that I managed to fix it. I loosened the screw on the release button just a tiny bit, and now it secures it. I cannot unscrew it with my hands anymore. It doesn't click like my other Leica lenses, but at least it won't come off until I press the button. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that, but I saw the screw and thought, "screw it, let's do it!

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased this lens last September and shot it all over Italy in the Fall on my M-P 240 Safari, but also my CL with L-M adapter. Impressed with the build and image quality, and how compact it makes the kit, for the money. Really nice when you want low profile, easy to stow when desired. I also have the new Summaron version, but it's a 5.6 iris. It's probably the only China lens I'll buy. I usually stick to Leica and Voigtlander.  Currently shooting the BS on my new issue M6 film shooter. Love the clickless aperture for fine tuning exposure using the built in light meter.

Edited by NWPhoto
  • Like 1

Not the best lens in the world, but definitely great considering its compactness. I also adore the design, it's a work of art. Although I have many M lenses, I have kept this one mounted on my BP MP for the past two weeks since it arrived, and I now love my MP even more as it fits in my pocket and any pouch bag, which I previously had difficulty with using any other lens. The reason I keep this lens on the camera is its compactness, and the image quality on film is quite pleasing to me.

Oh, by the way, I have found a solution for the tiny lens cap, and I'm very happy with it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DennisPT said:

Nice way to hold the front cap 👍🏻

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, and it takes a second to insert and remove it. And the size fits perfectly, so there's no chance it will fall off.

Edited by hirohhhh
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing I don't like about this lens is that it is so lightweight that the camera is not well-balanced on the strap, and it leans upwards. I heard there are balancing rings out there, but for me, that defeats the whole purpose of this lens, which is to be compact.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to counterbalance the front a bit more?

With the S31 and S16 filters that @Huss introduced, this photo was taken at f8-f11 with M10P using live view function.  Happy lunar new year!