What is your favorite 75 mm lens - why do you like it?

On 1/11/2022 at 11:53 AM, mnutzer said:

'lux 75 is my only lens of this focal length.
With staggering prices on the second-hand market it may help finance an M12 or M13 in a few years' time.

My suggestion Never sell a Leica M lens to finance a new M body.  Leica lenses will hold value, bodies not. 

… and the M13 … probably not before 2030.  And that is a long time.  In the mean time enjoy the superb 75 lux. Or leave it on the shelf for a couple of months, even a year. And then try it again. It will amaze you. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

75mm f2 APO Summicron, with the 35/1.4 FLE, 21mm f3.4 SEM and 135mm f3.4 APO. Great four-lens setup for any M, in my case an M262 I purchased new in February, 2016 and still enjoy using to this day.

If I can get my hands on a good priced used copy of a 135 3.4 APO we would have the same kit, my concern is the 135 will get little to no use….. on the other hand it could bring an entirely new dimension and , we’ll more fun 

I’ll often just go out with the 135 and look for subjects specific to it. Using the 35/1.4 as the main lens the 135 frame is always presented so you can check it for good subject matter.

I sent the M262 and 135 APO to DAG on receipt of the lens and he adjusted the cam on the lens to be well matched with that camera and the keeper rate has been really good. Didn’t want him adjusting the rangefinder as it worked well as/is with the others, primarily the 75.

I checked with DAG before sending and he did that one specific alignment and got the setup back to me within 10 days. 

Edited by Gregm61

The R 80/1.4 😁

I have had the M 75/1.4 too; they are both magical lenses but I marginally prefer the R's slightly more ethereal rendering - and swapping one for the other releases quite a lot of cash! Also, having to use Live View does mean that your wide-open shots are going to be dead in focus..... 

On 1/12/2022 at 4:42 PM, lct said:

What's a non-apo Summicron, do you mean a 90/2? Just curious as i thought that all Summicron 75 are/were apo. 

Apologies, I didn't realise that the 75 Summicron was always APO.

• 2 months later...

I've owned a few M-75/1.4 (Canadian and German versions) ... which were a love/hate relationship. 

Hard to be a spontaneous shooter when shooting at f/1.4 and you had to select time the shots between heart-beats to maintain critical focus when desired ... LOL!

However, for me, 75mm is a sweet focal length for a two lens carry. My favorite kit is 35/1.4 ASPH and the 75/2AA. I use it with a M monochrome and a Sony 43 meg A7R-II and 24 meg A7-II with a TechArt Auto Focus adapter.  

I've also used it manually on a 61 meg Sony A7R-IV ... SO,. I am fairly certain that it'll be just as wonderful on the M-11 I am lusting for ...

"Portrait With Pet".  M-75AA @ f/2.5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have not a 75mm lens but am in the market to buy one. I do appreciate that there are capable lenses besides the Summicron 75, but the Summictron would be my choice. I have an M10, Summicron 28 v2, Summilux 50asph and a Telyt 135 which all focus accurately wide open with the rangefinder, the latter takes a bit more effort.

In the past I tried out four different Summicrons 75: one was totally off, one did not focus at infinity and two backfocussed at 5 - 10 meters distance by several metres at F2.

My question for Summicron 75 owners: is this normal behaviour or was I just unlucky? In other words: is accurate focus with RF at F2 something that should not be expected?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, stephan54 said:

In the past I tried out four different Summicrons 75: one was totally off, one did not focus at infinity and two backfocussed at 5 - 10 meters distance by several metres at F2.

My question for Summicron 75 owners: is this normal behaviour or was I just unlucky? In other words: is accurate focus with RF at F2 something that should not be expected?

Thanks.

To quote from post #12 of this same thread:

** the 75 APO-Summicron was Leica's first attempt (2004) at an FLE lens for the M, and that mechanism has a "rap" for getting out of adjustment, leading to focus errors (e.g. front-focusing close up and back-focusing at infinity), color fringes, fuzzy corners and so, until serviced. Especially in its first ~10 years of existence.

From 2006 until 2015 or so, every single copy I tried (~6) showed optical problems of one kind or another. Even one Leica rep's "demo" copy.

That may have been resolved once Leica opened the new Wetzlar factory (reportedly capable of meeting tighter tolerances) - but I still don't really trust them any more than I would a rattlesnake.

I bought a (new) 2/75 less than 2 years ago (the chrome special edition) and did not find any fault with it. I like it all the more as it is so smooth to use.
I like the crisp rendering and very nice bokeh for a remarkably compact Lens.

I also own the ‘lux 75 I had adjusted in Wetzlar a few years ago. I will never sell this Lens. I seldom use (bulk + not easy to focus) if but what an amazing Lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10M + APO 75