What is your most used lens on your Leica Monochrom?

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, Camaro5 said:

I have an M246 and use either a 28/2.8 Elmarit or a 50/2 Summicron (Ver. 5)  I don't see a huge difference in sharpness or image quality.  Both are excellent, but I might give the Summicron a slight edge in having a bit more contrast.  

When I first got the M246 I had a Voightlander 50/2 APO-Lanthar.  It was pretty nice on my SL2-S shooting in color, but for some reason I didn't really care for the monochrome images.  They just seemed a bit dull.  I suppose it's personal taste, but the monochrome images with the Summicron had a lot more character and tonality.   

From my usage of my Elmarit 28mm/2.8 and Summicron 50mm/f2 v.5 on my M246, I’d say the 50 has definitely more contrast, but that’s me, lol

Mine now has the 50mm lux pre asph e46 pretty much glued to it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

M Monochrom with Apo 50 Summicron

M10M with 35 Summicron Asph - not that it's better than the 35 Summilux 1.4 but the Summicron has smaller and shorter barrel which works much better when shooting from the hip. The Summilux tends to cut off heads without some sort of modified holding position which people tend to notice. 

• 4 weeks later...

The M10M lives with the APO 35mm.

• Like 2

My M11M has my MATE pretty much glued to it. This lens is my favourite on the mono but I wouldn’t use it on my M11. It has too many issues with colour, for me. Plus being f4 the Mono allows much higher ISO’s without penalty.

If you’re listening Leica, I’d kill (or give you many of my dollars) for a modern version of the MATE for M……

Gordon

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/7/2023 at 6:37 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

If you’re listening Leica, I’d kill (or give you many of my dollars) for a modern version of the MATE for M……

Maybe the only new lens that might interest me.  As long as they don’t further complicate it with close focus mechanics.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2023 at 1:43 AM, WALTERIO2000 said:

Hi... I have a leica m11 Monochrome... but I can't find the ideal lens for this camera, thanks for advising me which would be the best lens for this camera that gives me real black and white images...

I love some of the classic lenses on it, the 50mm f2 Rigid, the 35mm f1.4 Steel rim and the 28mm f5.6 Summaron is also beautiful on it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/18/2023 at 12:43 AM, WALTERIO2000 said:

Hi... I have a leica m11 Monochrome... but I can't find the ideal lens for this camera, thanks for advising me which would be the best lens for this camera that gives me real black and white images...

Am sure many others better qualified than me to advise on the best, but I tend to keep the APO 35 on my M11M and am very happy with the results.  Attached at random a photo taken today, nothing special as a picture but gives a sense of the b&w image…

• Like 5

For me, it's an even split between my Summicron-M 50mm f/2 and Summilux 35mm f/1.4 pre-ASPH, with the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 coming up fast. The Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 has done as many exposures as either of the 50 or 35mm lenses, but that's all negative and Polaroid print copy work and I discount that as original photography. 

All my other lenses (10, 21, 24, 28, 31, 43, 90, 135, and 180 mm) together have made about the same number of exposures as the above three. 

G

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 7:43 PM, WALTERIO2000 said:

Believe it or not any M mount lens will give you real black and white images. I've tried, and never gotten a color picture out of the camera no matter the lens.

If you mean something different than that, only you can answer that question. 

My favorite is my regular old 50mm summicron, same lens that's my favorite on any camera. Don't think too hard no notices the difference in these lenses other than the photographers. 

• Haha 2

On 7/17/2023 at 4:43 PM, WALTERIO2000 said:

Lighting condition matters the most. You don’t even need a Monochrome camera to get “real” b/w images.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting topic. After using my VC 35 2.5 and Zeiss 35 2.8 Biogon for a while, I’ve been more and more drawn to older glass for my M246 Monochrom. The lower contrast has a very appealing look to my eye. 

Right now I’ve settled for a Canon 28 2.8 LTM (also loving the 35 2.0), a Summaron 35 2.8 and a Summicron 50 2.0 Rigid. 

The Summaron gets the most use by far, with either a yellow or orange filter. 

• Like 1

50 mm APO on the M10M

• Like 2

• 4 months later...