What’s your most reacquired lens?

Cronilux

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Specific lens model - 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M (thin).

Love/hate relationship involving size/weight (++++) vs. aperture-speed (--) vs. flare tendencies (---) vs. sample variations (---) vs. availability with 6-bit coding.

I think my current count is about 6± repurchases over 22 years.

Specific focal length: 75mm. many reacquisitions, counting different models

Partly because of sample variations/quality control with the early APO-Summicrons' FLE mechanics. Probably 5 different copies of that model alone, new and then used. Plus the 1.333x-crop interregnum with the M8, which also had the least-accurate 75mm framelines ever.

And partly because there have been a lot of new 75s (including Voigtländer) over the past 22 years. And I have acquired them all at least once - each had a unique balance of pros and cons. 

In order of first ownership:

C/V Color Heliar f/2.5 LTM + adapter (2003)
APO-Summicron-M-ASPH (2005)
Summilux-M (2009 - with arrival of M9, + 2-3 reacquisitions)
Summarit-M f/2.5 (2013)
Summarit-M f/2.4 (2015)
C/V Heliar Classic f/1.8 (2018)
C/V Nokton f/1.5 (2020 - finally, Summilux speed and Summarit weight, and 0.7m focusing - in one lens!)

Edited by adan
  • Like 4

Having added the Leica M system in April 2018, so being new to Leica, I have yet to sell any M-mount lenses, but, am contemplating a “thinning of the herd,” so, am reading the replies, for reasons LUF members have sold lenses, and, any resulting regrets, to use as guidance.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb RexGig0:

Having added the Leica M system in April 2018, so being new to Leica, I have yet to sell any M-mount lenses, but, am contemplating a “thinning of the herd,” so, am reading the replies, for reasons LUF members have sold lenses, and, any resulting regrets, to use as guidance.

Remember one thing: „never sell a Leica lens!“. Put them on a shelf. They won’t become cheaper, ever. 

Camera bodies okay, but selling lenses is just a mistake. 

• Like 2

I had a 50mm Summicron V5 for about a year.  Great lens but I sold it to fund a 50mm Summilux ASPH V1.  That lens never disappoints but I missed having a 50 that is a bit smaller so I bought a 50mm Summicron V4, which optically is the same as the V5.  It's now my most used lens.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As a hobbyist musician I have a lot of stories like that about guitars...

But regarding Leica lenses I have just one: When I finally got the money to buy a nice used f/0.95 Noctilux, I got one in the local photo store and used it just a few time before finding the lens was definitely too big and cumbersome for the M... And honestly it was hard to nail focus with this lens on a rangefinder. So I traded it for a brand new f/1.2 Noctilux that I really love fore the size and dual personality (wide open vs stopped down). 

But then I happened to pass by the store window from time to time and I was seeing my f/0.95 Noctilux sitting there and not being sold... for months. So after about a year I finally got into the store and negotiated a VERY good bargain to get it back...

And now I use it on the SL2-S with focus assist and it has become one of my favorite lens for this camera. 

4 hours ago, gigithephotographer said:

Leica Q2. Just bought my sixth copy. It usually doesn’t last two months until I get rid of it again. 

I’m exactly the same, except my current copy is my third. The camera fills a practical niche in my hobby. But I just don’t like using it as much as my M system. The first time, I sold my Q2 for a 35 FLE. The second time, I traded it for 50 Lux. Now that I have all the lenses I want, I’m thinking of using the Q2 in a trade to upgrade my M10 into an M10-R or M11.

1) Noctilux F1. I lost count how many I bought and sold. Didn’t lose that much money because prices kept going up. I tried I really tried even using it as a one lens kit overseas. 
2) MATE. First the 55mm version. Too much blockage. Slow aperture. Then 6bit version E49 and M8 came out and it seemed like good idea. I should have kept it then but 28mm no longer wide enough with the crop. 
3) 50mm Summilux ASPH. I need to get another one :)

11 minutes ago, gigithephotographer said:

I love the pictures that I see coming out of it on the LFI gallery. I buy it and realise how horrible it is to use, because I find the lens too big and awkward, and because the AF is atrocious, so I convince myself that I’m better off with an M and a 28 elmarit. So I sell it. Months later, I go back to the LFI gallery, and I love the pictures that come out of it. Repeat six times. 

I completely understand your reasoning because I own the Q2M and the AF is atrocious.  I have missed a lot of shots with it for street photography. Will you give the Q3 a chance?

reacquired- or borrowed (for me)

That would be the 50 F/1 Noctilux. Many, many years ago I got it on loan (trying it three times) for photo projects. When I was younger I was sure at some point I would buy this lens. I think I convinced myself the F/1 would be perfect for those particular photo stories. Each time the results never lived up to my expectations. On the other hand - my 35, 50, 80 summilux R lenses produced excellent results. I think the grass is always greener................especially when you're young

20 minutes ago, gigithephotographer said:

I did, and I chose to reacquire a Q2 over a Q3. Not the place to discuss this, but I feel like the Q3 is the same generation as the M11 in terms of image output. This means the generation when leica decided to be Sony. I really disliked the image of the M11 which is way too digital for me, and I equally dislike the Q3 rendering. The Q and Q2, however, are really magic. So is the M10. 
I’ll see if the sixth time is the right one for the Q2, but this time I’ll approach it differently. I won’t try to make it the camera for everything, and maybe it’ll be a more long term relationship. 

My current Q2M is my second one and I will keep it. I have come to understand its limitations and will not attempt to make it do what it cannot. I have the M10M for street photography. The Q2M can do everything else.

I have only ever sold one Leica M lens, a 35 cron asph which I absolutely loved. However I used the money to fund its replacement, the 35 APO. I don't need two 35 crons, so I don't think I will buy the asph again.

If I ever sell and re-acquire a lens it will be my brass 50 lux asph to get a lighter one.

Edited by kona