What M lens is missing - what lens should Leica invent soon?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What are your cravings, needs, wishes and desires regarding M lenses that do not exist yet?
21mm Summicron? Perhaps a 24mm Summicron? A brand new and Karbe - updated 75mm f1.4 Summilux? A new line of affordable budget M lenses? Some vintage revivals?
Share your thoughts - within reason of course.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

High quality small size and light lenses...like they did before 🙂

The only real "hole" I see in the M lineup - assuming the 35 Summaron is real, and with the end of the 90 Summarit, is a 90mm f/2.8. I'd like to see (and would buy, even at "new Leica" prices) not necessarily a re-issue, but a rethinking of the 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! E39, 225 grams, f/2.8, only 50% longer than the 50 Summicron v.5 (67mm long)

My dream lens would be inexpensive, with a red dot, a steel front rim and the word "apo" engraved in capitals . 

Posted Images

Updated 75/1.4? Won't happen due to the 75/1.25. Affordable budget? Won't happen either, already done and CV is out of reach. 21/1.4 or 24/1.4? Already done, too big and expensive. Remain 21/2 or 24/2 that Leica never made i don't know why. I don't hold my breath though. More money to make with a 35/2 apo provided it remains compact enough i guess.

55 minutes ago, lct said:

Updated 75/1.4? Won't happen due to the 75/1.25. Affordable budget? Won't happen either, already done and CV is out of reach. 21/1.4 or 24/1.4? Already done, too big and expensive. Remain 21/2 or 24/2 that Leica never made i don't know why. I don't hold my breath though. More money to make with a 35/2 apo provided it remains compact enough i guess.

Regarding prices, the 75 Summicron APO sells for $4395 USD.  The 90 Sumicron APO sells for $5095 USD and the 75 Noctilux ASPH sells for $14,095 USD.

Given the above, Leica could release an updated 75mm Summilux and price it at $7000(ish), sell plenty of them and not erode sales of the 75 'cron, the 90 'cron or the hideously costly 75 Noctilux.

JMHO. 

Edited by Herr Barnack
12 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Leica could release an updated 75mm Summilux and price it at $7000(ish), sell plenty of them and not erode sales of the 75 'cron, the 90 'cron or the hideously costly 75 Noctilux.

Why not but i find hard to imagine how plenty of $7000(ish) 75/1.4 could be sold given that the very good CV 75/1.5 can be had for $1000 or less... I'm no armchair CEO though :cool:.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.