Missing lens hood on Leica Summicron 90 mm F2

PTJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi I am new to the forum. I own a Leicaflex Black SL which I bought in 1977. I also purchased a 90 mm F2 Summicron Lens with a collapsible metal lens hood which has been lost. Can anyone recommend a likely source?

Welcome to this forum!

The Leica Summicron 90 R always had a collapsible hood and was made in 2 versions according to our wiki pages:
https://wiki.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/90mm_f/2_Summicron-R

First you need to identify your lens, because the hood was either 1 piece or 2 piece version.

Sourcing an original Leica R sun hood as a spare part will not be easy AFAIK. You could look at this list of service centers and ask for a quote:

If your lens is a later E55 it might be fairly cheap/easy to source some third party screw on sun hood that fits in the filter thread.
Even a cheap Chinese one would do the trick. Tell me if you need exact measurements of the original sun hood once your lens is identified.

The first version with a series VII filter thread will not be that easy. The pitch and size of this filter thread is not compatible with an E size.
This cine conversion ring is the smallest solution that I could find. It will convert the front diameter to a standard E77 filter thread:
https://www.precisious.fr/gb/front-lens-rings-lens-mod/20-45-ring-cine-77mm-80mm-od-adapter-lens-mod.html#/31-size-77mm