SL2-S

nicci78

5 hours ago, hamey said:

Personally I would be very interested in a all manual focus version of the SL2 system.

As I have  few R and M lenses as well as Zeiss Milvas ZF lenses that I could use on it, not interested in the SL AF lenses.

Of course it must be optimised for MF shooting, this could very well get me back into the Leica system.

So why spend heeps of dollars on a camera's auto focus system that I will never use, just good MF confirmation is all I need.

So Leica if you want more of my money give me that requirement

Dreaming..

Isn’t that the M10-R ? 
AF tech is essentially free. Just a bunch of algorithms. Don’t use AF lens and voilà. 

NB : video capabilities are also free. 

I would have purchased a 24MP SL2 as my entry to the system, but have no interest now after using the SL2.  Likewise, the original M Monochrom covers my digital monochrome camera requirements. But if rumors (and Nicci’s guesses) are accurate, I hope Leica finds many buyers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

All totally speculative...........

- The M10 received a major upgrade and extra letter (M10R) well before a M11 was expected.
- Leica seems to keep its body renumbering for bodies with significant dimensional/shape/control changes, not internal changes (so we got a SL2, but not a M11).
- Variants launched with a new letter part way through a model run are upgrades, not simplified versions, which are kept for previous version production line run offs (M-E).

So a SL2-S should be a significant upgrade to the SL2 in the same body shape. If 'R' stands for Resolution and 'M' for Monochrom (and 'E' for Economy???), what might 'S' stand for? In English or German?  

Edited by LocalHero1953

11 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

....what might 'S' stand for? In English or German?  

Maybe the S stands for stabilized.  I'd love for it to be "small" as mentioned above, but if they changed the size to be more compact I'd think it would become a new model. 

Edited by Lids

It has to be in german. Leica always use German for its naming scheme. It is M = Messersucher (Rangefinder)

Monochrom (Monochrome)

S may stand for Schnell (Quick, Fast)

It is certainly not small. Because small in German is klein

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

It has to be in german. Leica always use German for its naming scheme. It is M = Messersucher (Rangefinder)

Monochrom (Monochrome)

S may stand for Schnell (Quick, Fast)

It is certainly not small. Because small in German is klein

Good point: SL is a short name for Spiegellos (I believe), meaning mirrorless. If so, it would be somewhat strange to mix Spiegellos with an English worded add-on. 

On the other hand, isn't the R in M10-R an aberration for resolution? If so, this is an example for a mix of German (Spiegellos) and English (resolution). 

• Like 1

What we know so far ? 

Leica and Panasonic are partenering for years to bring full frame mirrorless to market.

• Leica Q were the first test drive : build by Leica with extensive use of Panasonic technologies.
  • Leica SL were the second test : build by Leica with the most advance tech from Panasonic : like DFD AF algorithms.
  • With all that knowledge, they officially formed the L-mount alliance with Sigma. Stephan Daniel said in an interview that this alliance will also permit them to buy certain key parts with Panasonic. Just to make economy of scale.
  • That’s why we got 2 completely different body : SL2 and S1/S1R. But sharing some parts : EVF, sensor, IBIS, DFD AF tech, etc...
  • So it is quite logical for Leica to use the 24MP sensor of S1-S1H-S5 for its SL2-S

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

What we know so far ? 

Leica and Panasonic are partenering for years to bring full frame mirrorless to market.

• Leica Q were the first test drive : build by Leica with extensive use of Panasonic technologies.
  • Leica SL were the second test : build by Leica with the most advance tech from Panasonic : like DFD AF algorithms.
  • With all that knowledge, they officially formed the L-mount alliance with Sigma. Stephan Daniel said in an interview that this alliance will also permit them to buy certain key parts with Panasonic. Just to make economy of scale.
  • That’s why we got 2 completely different body : SL2 and S1/S1R. But sharing some parts : EVF, sensor, IBIS, DFD AF tech, etc...
  • So it is quite logical for Leica to use the 24MP sensor of S1-S1H-S5 for its SL2-S

So S for schnell (fast), possibly? 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Brian Puccio said:

Bare with me here as I’ve only started recently looking at digital Leicas.

Panasonic S1 -> Leica SL

Panasonic S1R -> Leica SL2

Panasonic S5 -> Leica SL2-S?

SL2 is not a clone of S1R. 

They are different camera.

However they share :

• same sensor, albeit a thinner sensor stack filter for the Leica.
  • same 3.2" screen (but fixed for the Leica)
  • same same OLED EVF 5 millions dots.
  • same IBIS

The rest is different :

• Maestro III SOC for Leica vs Venus engine for the lumix
  • Completely different body
  • Different battery
  • DNG for Leica vs RWL for Panasonic
  • Like 1