SL2S FW6.0

Andy Y

33 minutes ago, insomnia said:

I agree they should have kept the option to leave it at Zoom for the "muscle memory" problem.

its not simply a muscle memory problem

with manual lenses, the joystick zoom/position function was convenient, super fast to use & logical.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

vor 3 Minuten schrieb frame-it:

its not simply a muscle memory problem

with manual lenses, the joystick zoom/position function was convenient, super fast to use & logical.

You could argue it's super logical to have AE-L on the joystick. And it's super logical to use the wheel for magnification. It's your preference as you're used to it. We should have the option, that's it.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Att1 said:

Is this FW update delete all the user profiles ?

yes, you should save them before doing the update. And be aware that after the update is finished, you should restart it a couple of times. I restarted the camera ones, reloaded my profiles, did some changes to them and after restarting it again i lost everything. 

7 hours ago, frame-it said:

well, after extreme use in several countries for almost 5 years, its acceptable, but lets see how good the SL2/S quality is

My issues were from out of the box. I had to disable the clicking functionality in several cases.

P.S.: I had no issues with GFX100II and GFX100S.

Edited by SrMi

12 hours ago, V23 said:

Of cause it is up to you what adapter you will be using or not. It works with my Novoflex LET/LEM as you describe. With Leica M to L adapter, you get additional useful function by pressing upper front Fb and then turning front thumb wheel you get four levels of magnification that is not available with Novoflex adapter, your choice.  

You do get different levels of magnification with the novoflex. With the leica adapter now you don't get any additional functionality, you get less functionalities. With the novaflex adapter you can use the wheel and the joystick, and when using the wheel, you get the different levels works like with the leica one, and you can also use the joystick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lpeeples said:

Also, used to be able to press play to see an image and then delete all.  The Delete All is missing now.  So the only way to delete images is to reformat the card? Or am I missing something?

Leica's notes about the changes mention this specifically. It was replaced by "Delete all unrated".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malabito said:

yes, you should save them before doing the update. And be aware that after the update is finished, you should restart it a couple of times. I restarted the camera ones, reloaded my profiles, did some changes to them and after restarting it again i lost everything. 

I had a somewhat similar experience. After updating the lens firmware on a second lens, I had to re-set the date/time again, and re-import my profiles before re-starting the camera a third time. Save those profiles when the camera asks you to!

• Like 1

I've just updated, using the firmware downloaded to a SD card; updated my 6 lenses as well. No particular problems, but a couple of irritations:

• As noted by Chuck in the previous post, after you update a lens, it expects you to confirm/enter your language, date and time. This got tedious after the sixth.
  • Each time a lens was updated it also wiped the user profiles. Since I am a learning animal, I stopped reloading profiles after the second lens, and reloaded them after all lenses were updated.

I can well understand that losing the joystick for magnification would irritate some people, and I agree it should have been retained as an option. I shall be happier with the new set up because of how I focus with M lenses, which is mainly for portraits: I just want a quick zoom in to focus, then zoom out and recompose - I don't want to use the joystick to move the focus point around, which is slow if you're working with people. Using the dial to zoom in as much or as little as I choose, and zooming in progressively from low to high magnification is intuitive. When I used the joystick to zoom in I had to separately find the dial, which I found awkward; and if the magnification was set on high I could easily get confused with which part of the scene I was looking at. So whether this change is good news or bad news for you may depend on whether moving the zoomed-in focus point is important for you.

There is a slight ergonomic disadvantage for me with using the wheel. I use a handstrap on the SL2-S, and if I have pulled it tight then it is more awkward to reach the wheel with my thumb than the joystick. I suppose I could put magnification on the front wheel, but that's where I always have shutter speed. Hey ho, first world problems. Solution: slacken off the handstrap a bit.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Am 8.12.2023 um 19:23 schrieb Malabito:

Seems like leica support doesnt know what they are talking about :) 

(Update: it works with a none leica adapter, as seen in the video below, with the leica adapter it doesnt work, the fw update broke the functionaility)

The video link doesn't seem to work? Can you share this link? Thank you very much.

10 hours ago, Malabito said:

You do get different levels of magnification with the novoflex. With the leica adapter now you don't get any additional functionality, you get less functionalities. With the novaflex adapter you can use the wheel and the joystick, and when using the wheel, you get the different levels works like with the leica one, and you can also use the joystick. 

After retesting Novoflex adapter on my SL2S you are right you get several levels of magnification.

To my ‘horror’ thought, I noticed that using Leica M mount lens on Novoflex adapter Image Stabilization is greyed out (not possible to use) that would be more worry some to me than joystick function limitation. Your Kilometrage (sic) my differ.

Image Stabilization on my Lumix S5II works with Leica M/L as well as Novoflex M/L adapters with Leica M lens mounted, strange why Leica does not allows this on SL2S, they must have good reason for it.

Haven’t updated as yet but have a question about how the the thumbwheel magnification now operates. Do you just turn it to change magnification, or do you have to press it first and then turn it? I ask because I currently use thumbwheel press, followed by turning, to switch between PASM modes. 

6 minutes ago, Carrot said:

Haven’t updated as yet but have a question about how the the thumbwheel magnification now operates. Do you just turn it to change magnification, or do you have to press it first and then turn it? I ask because I currently use thumbwheel press, followed by turning, to switch between PASM modes. 

You just turn it, no need to press. Pressing still brings up the PASM selection.

You can select from a number of options for the wheel ('Customise Control' in the menu): ISO, EC, Shutter Speed. And you can put Magnification on the front wheel if you want - or not have it on a wheel at all.

In fact, I wish I could disable the wheel press entirely. I usually have EC on the rear wheel; sometimes, in the heat of the moment, I find I've pressed it and switched to S, M or P without noticing.

Edited by LocalHero1953