SL2-S

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, frame-it said:

there is an SL2-S, a Q2 mono probably with the M10M sensor, and a special edition Q2 "007 Bond" version

I heard about the 007 version too. Any idea how it will look ? I’m imagining it navy blue, stealth, and extremely cool. 

when shall we expect these three announcements ? 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I heard about the 007 version too. Any idea how it will look ? I’m imagining it navy blue, stealth, and extremely cool. 

when shall we expect these three announcements ? 

Sorry to disappoint you but it’s regular black just with British Racing Green leather, a rather naff “gun barrel” logo lens cap and a little green Globetrotter case...

Just now, NigelG said:

Sorry to disappoint you but it’s regular black just with British Racing Green leather, a rather naff “gun barrel” logo lens cap and a little green Globetrotter case...

Sounds nice. How do you know? Do you have any photo leak to share ? 

the Q2 Monochrome

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 22 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

I don’t think so. 
Leica did not have the budget to build hundreds of different body. 

Same SL2 name suggest that the body is identical. But the inside will be different. Just like the whole M10 series : same body. Different internal with some minor cosmetic changes.  

Leica has no choice than to come up with a smaller, more compact FF L-mount body, IMO. Every manufacturer has one and the S5 with the Summicron-SL lenses just feels lighter to carry. The S5 is smaller than the Z6/7, just a bit thicker and 39 g heavier. It will be tough to compete if they put the innards of the S5 in the SL2 body, I think.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We asked for it since 2015 with the Q. Make it interchangeable and it will fly off the shelves. 
Instead we got SL.
We also got CL. Some were still saying make the CL with full frame sensor. It will sell like hot cakes. 
Did Leica listen for a smaller SL ? Nope. We got the heavier SL2 ! 

We want small AF lenses. Humongous SL zooms, we got. 
Then APO-Summicron-SL is ok, but not small nor light by any means  

I now think that Leica does not want to make us happy nor winning easy cash. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

Leica has no choice than to come up with a smaller, more compact FF L-mount body, IMO. Every manufacturer has one and the S5 with the Summicron-SL lenses just feels lighter to carry. The S5 is smaller than the Z6/7, just a bit thicker and 39 g heavier. It will be tough to compete if they put the innards of the S5 in the SL2 body, I think.

Well of course they have a choice and I'm not sure I see them coming up with one anytime soon.

While I agree about the size and feel of the S5, with the SL Summicron, the fact remains most of the FF AF lenses are all of a size that almost negates the smaller body advantage, and in fact most feel better balanced on the SL2 or S1/R bodies.  

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Boojay:

Well of course they have a choice and I'm not sure I see them coming up with one anytime soon.

While I agree about the size and feel of the S5, with the SL Summicron, the fact remains most of the FF AF lenses are all of a size that almost negates the smaller body advantage, and in fact most feel better balanced on the SL2 or S1/R bodies.  

The ‘no choice’ is complemented by the ‘tough to compete’ in the last sentence. What if Panasonic puts that 47 MPx sensor next in an S5 body? How many SL2 users would prefer the more compact camera then?

• Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

We want small AF lenses. Humongous SL zooms, we got. 
Then APO-Summicron-SL is ok, but not small nor light by any means  

I now think that Leica does not want to make us happy nor winning easy cash. 

The 75 and the 90 Summicron SL lenses are compact for these focal lengths and their optical performance, IMO. Even the 35 Summicron-SL compares favorably in terms of size with the Nikon NIKKOR Z 35/1.8 S.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chaemono said:

The 75 and the 90 Summicron SL lenses are compact for these focal lengths and their optical performance, IMO. Even the 35 Summicron-SL compares favorably in terms of size with the Nikon NIKKOR Z 35/1.8 S.

The 35 sl is a tank compared to the Sony 35 1.8 

• Thanks 2

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Steven:

The 35 sl is a tank compared to the Sony 35 1.8 

Sony lenses usually suck except stopped down is my experience. I bet that one does so hard.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

36 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

What if SL2-S really means speed. 
And for that it will use 24MP sensor with phase detect pixels ? Just to provide us awesome hybride phase-contrast detect AF 

That would imply that the normal SL2 is slow, a marketing own goal to use a sport term.

Edited by Joakim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

What if SL2-S really means speed. 
And for that it will use 24MP sensor with phase detect pixels ? Just to provide us awesome hybride phase-contrast detect AF 

In that example, rather that speed, I would call it sensitivity. 
In any case, if that’s true, Leica can take my money now. 
Any idea when that sl2s might be announced ? I’m itching to buy an sl2 but now I also want to wait and see the sl2s 

1 hour ago, Steven said:

In that example, rather that speed, I would call it sensitivity. 
In any case, if that’s true, Leica can take my money now. 
Any idea when that sl2s might be announced ? I’m itching to buy an sl2 but now I also want to wait and see the sl2s 

I dont have a crystal ball but I wouldn't count on this. Leica specifically says no to phase detect because of IQ loss issues, apparently.

Leica needs hybrid phase+contrast AF right now. Otherwise Leica R demise will repeat again. At the time only MF lenses, combined with the rise of digital killed the system. 
Now no phase detect will too. 

Look at close to zero sales of Lumix S in Japan :

At this rate Panasonic will left the camera business soon. Killing the L-mount alliance in the process. 

Edited by nicci78

vor 15 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

Leica needs hybrid phase+contrast AF right now. Otherwise Leica R demise will repeat again. At the time only MF lenses, combined with the rise of digital killed the system. 
Now no phase detect will too. 

Look at close to zero sales of Lumix S in Japan :

At this rate Panasonic will left the camera business soon. Killing the L-mount alliance in the process. 

Many people rant about the AF. Still no proof that this a real life problem, except for vloggers.

• Thanks 1