SL2S FW6.0

Andy Y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, feelssadman said:

I'm slightly pissed that they announced this exact feature in a firmware update for the SL3. From leicarumors.com,

Strategically, is isn't smart from Leica to add it to the SL3 first and/or to not immediately follow up with a firmware update for the SL2 because this potentially shows that they do not care about SL2 users anymore (which I hope is not true of course).

Not that I want the changes on my SL2, but...

Leica is a company with limited resources, a team works on SL3 software, I imagine with time it will get to SL2 software too.

It is not the case that they work on the firmware all the time is someone calls in a bug.  In my experience, they will get to it when the next firmware update is scheduled.
the process can take 3 months to a year. In that time they take note of changes requested, prioritize changes, leave room for new features, do beta testing, and release to consume. if you have worked with corporate teams, all that takes time.

49 minutes ago, feelssadman said:

Actually, we should be able to downgrade to 5.2 again. From a technical perspective, there shouldn't (theoretically) be any issue with re-installing it. I've found the firmware images for the SL2 and the SL2-S at reddotforum.com for the

you can try it for yourself, but it will just say that there is no new update in the camera.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2024 at 6:01 PM, helged said:

+1. Same for me... 

Me too. I bought the camera to take photographs not spend time doing re-programming of things that worked perfectly before but don't after a firmware update.

It's the disease of the 21st Century that you now have to check yourself in at the airport, scan your purchases at the supermarket and re-program your products after you bought them ..oh, and also request an instruction manual which should have been included in the box.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Page 126 0f the manual.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

Page 126 in the SL2-S manual. Page 115 in the SL2 manual.

Did you read my question? I've asked when camera is in AF mode, not MF, it works in 601, but it doesn't work on SL2:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 6:05 PM, pf4eva said:

Anyone know if it is possible to assing AF-ON to joystick in AF mode like on SL601?

Works for me on my SL2.  I set up all my cameras that way.

Edited to add:

FW 6.0 just removed the ability to assign the zoom function to the joystick.  For back button auto focusers, this is a useful feature when using a manual focus lens. 

Edited by Luke_Miller

2 hours ago, pf4eva said:

Did you read my question? I've asked when camera is in AF mode, not MF, it works in 601, but it doesn't work on SL2:

That's how you get back-button autofocus on the SL or the SL2 - select MF mode for the joystick, and then choose AFs or AFc. It's not the most intuitive approach in the world (nowhere do the manuals headline "Here's how you do back-button autofocus!"), but that's how it's done.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Chuck Albertson said:

That's how you get back-button autofocus on the SL or the SL2 - select MF mode for the joystick, and then choose AFs or AFc. It's not the most intuitive approach in the world (nowhere do the manuals headline "Here's how you do back-button autofocus!"), but that's how it's done.

I believe both the SL and SL2 (I have both) work the same.  Putting the camera in manual focus and assigning autofocus to the joystick prevents the shutter button from initiating autofocus.  Otherwise, if you focused using the joystick the camera would refocus when you released the shutter.

Edited by Luke_Miller

9 minutes ago, Luke_Miller said:

I believe both the SL and SL2 (I have both) work the same.  Putting the camera in manual focus and assigning autofocus to the joystick prevents the shutter button from initiating autofocus.  Otherwise, if you focused using the joystick the camera would refocus when you released the shutter.

I just sold my 601 and it was working in AF mode, it only works in MF mode on SL2, that's why I've asked specifically about AF mode

2 hours ago, pf4eva said:

I just sold my 601 and it was working in AF mode, it only works in MF mode on SL2, that's why I've asked specifically about AF mode

Your Typ 601 must be different than mine.  When I put mine in AF mode both the shutter and joystick initiate autofocus.  Setting AF to Manual is the only way to keep the shutter button from autofocusing which defeats the purpose of back button focusing.

1 hour ago, Luke_Miller said:

Your Typ 601 must be different than mine.  When I put mine in AF mode both the shutter and joystick initiate autofocus.  Setting AF to Manual is the only way to keep the shutter button from autofocusing which defeats the purpose of back button focusing.

What may be going on here is a miscommunication.  The answer to pf4eva's exact question "Anyone know if it is possible to assign AF-ON to joystick in AF mode like on SL601?" is yes.  One can assign autofocus to the joystick regardless of the camera's focus mode.  This is true for the Typ 601, SL2 and (presumably) the SL3.  The confusion arises due to the assumption that the question being asked is actually "How do I set up for back button focus?" And back button focus, as normally defined, requires autofocus initiation to be a function of the joystick alone.  Hence the need to put the camera in manual focus, which removes autofocus initiation from the shutter button.

Possibly one can find a use case where it is beneficial to leave autofocus assigned to both the joystick and shutter button.  My imagination falls short.

• Thanks 2

On 4/18/2024 at 8:04 PM, Luke_Miller said:

What may be going on here is a miscommunication.  The answer to pf4eva's exact question "Anyone know if it is possible to assign AF-ON to joystick in AF mode like on SL601?" is yes.  One can assign autofocus to the joystick regardless of the camera's focus mode.  This is true for the Typ 601, SL2 and (presumably) the SL3.  The confusion arises due to the assumption that the question being asked is actually "How do I set up for back button focus?" And back button focus, as normally defined, requires autofocus initiation to be a function of the joystick alone.  Hence the need to put the camera in manual focus, which removes autofocus initiation from the shutter button.

Possibly one can find a use case where it is beneficial to leave autofocus assigned to both the joystick and shutter button.  My imagination falls short.

Not sure why but I've used back button AF in AF mode on 601 quite often, just to prefocus but not trigger shutter accidentally, so I got used to it. Not a huge deal really.

Actually I just realised that with MC-21 I can't set MF mode in camera at all... So back "button focus only" on SL2 work on native L mount lenses it seems.

I've also noticed that on SL2, when you increase size of focussing point, it goes back to standard after camera is powered off. Is there a way to make it persistent? It is quite annoying IMO.

Edited by pf4eva