Used SL2 and SL2S prices

T25UFO

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree with Mikko and you too Bruce. At my studio I generally recommend clients to set an upper limit for around 1 meter on the long side for 24mp if they are interested in maintaining maximum quality for highly detailed prints, but of course they can be printed larger and still look nice. But I would say from about 40x60cm and above, the advantage of the higher resolution sensor becomes visible. My point was not that it cannot be done, but that it is done better by the SL2 at larger print sizes. Of course, if you are shooting at very high ISO, then the SL2S is likely to maintain an advantage, but that is honestly not a situation where I have had occasion to test, so I cannot say whether 24mp and lower noise looks better in a big print than 47mp and higher noise in a big print. It might be a wash. Neither is ideal, to be honest...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BLeventhal said:

In some ways you are correct, but in others... at least in my case... you are wrong. 

I'm predominantly a Nikon shooter who uses a Z9 and Z8 for nature photography. I value the 47MP files I get from these cameras when I photograph landscapes and wildlife. I, however, owned Nikon Z6, Z6II, and Zf bodies since their introduction. I have used/abused the latter and loved them for the highly flexible 24MP sensor. In fact, I find the capacity to pull shadows from the BSI 24MP sensor to be ideal, and have printed many of these pictures 20+ inches. It is with this background that led me to buy a Leica SL. 

I've now owned 2 SL's... the most recent of which is within the return period. After thinking about my decision to spend $1600 US on a 2015 camera, I decided that if I were willing to double the "investment," I could have a newer Leica body. After looking at used prices in the US, I saw that $3200 could get me an SL2 or SL2-S in 8 to 9 condition. I am looking at Leica Stores as the source because I want a minimum of a 6 month warranty on the body. In the end, I've decided to buy an SL2-S for $2900 in "8+" condition. I chose this because of the 24MP file because I know how flexible these files can be.

cheers,

bruce

‘I find the capacity to pull shadows from the BSI 24MP sensor to be ideal’

I do not think you will be disappointed. The sl2s does really well in this regard, outdoing my m10r. It’s the better choice in my opinion for a walk around do it all camera when you do not have a specific purpose for the resolution advantage of the sl2. 

• Like 3

Last year, while waiting for the 3 to come I bought a 2s. I was really doubting between the 2 and the 2s. I recently added the 2, demo, being cheaper than my second hand 2s.

But I couldn’t be more happy: having two same yet complementary bodies instead of one new 3.

For those on a budget: it are happy times.

• Like 2

After selling the SL2 in waiting for the SL3, picked up a used S1r, liked the files but didn’t enjoy the bulk and weight, and changed over to a used S5ii. Lightweight and good colors, but like the S1r, crazy making menus. Not the same league as the SL of course in terms of build, but thought it’ll do since transitioned over to a XD2 setup for the resolution needed for landscapes.

As the SL3 announcement came, was thinking to wait until it comes to the used market in another year or so. As luck would have it, a silver SL2 came up and didn’t think twice before snapping it up; particularly after seeing the Red Dot Forum SL3 vs SL2 compare episode  showing minor differences in detail and resolution, despite YT isn’t the reference on picture quality. 

Not thinking a SL3 will be in the cards given the silver finish gives the SL2 a small pinch of being special. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

As of today June 13, 2024. Leica SL2S second hand in Prague Foto shops (FotoSKoda, Megapixel) for cca 3300 Eur and going down every week.

If you want to sell yours - you'll get aprox 2000 .Eur

Edited by mipo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently got SL2 from MPB for just over 1900GBP, I think it is a good price for SL2, I wouldn't pay more than 2100 for it. I'd suggest even to look at SL 601, camera is great and you can get it for just over 1k GBP. I'm still not sure If I'm going to keep SL2. It has multiple issues which I'm still debating If i can live with or not. I may just sell it and grab either 601 again or SL2s for a good price.