SL2S FW6.0

Andy Y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently complained to Leica that although pressing the joystick to zoom in worked ok, you couldn't press it again to cancel magnification like you can when you assign magnification to a function button, you can only cancel it by half pressing the shutter release.  They said they understood the point and would put this right in a future firmware update. From the sound of it, they haven't!!

1 hour ago, Chris Nebard said:

Yes, it’s mentioned on a separate thread. Leica confirmed to me via their ‘chat’ button that the joystick zoom function has been removed for the manual focus of M lenses. I’d prefer not to use the thumbwheel or front buttons - using the joystick for locating my focus point, then zooming in to focus: just the one button. We don’t have that option anymore. It won’t impact everyone’s process, but it does mine. Crap decision. 

I use the joystick to get critical focus on my M glass every single time I use the camera. Hope this is incorrect. Just incredibly stupid

Edited by trickness
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, 0x2102 said:

Upgraded to 6.0 and the first thing I noticed is that I cannot longer click the joystick to zoom-in (magnify) in MF mode. Customize control -> Joystick shows MF-Mode greyed out and set to AE-L. Anybody else having the same issue?

What the fuck? Literally one of the few reasons for me to use an SL2/SL2-S for manual focus lenses over other brands. No joystick push for zooming? I won't be coming back to the SL cameras. Ever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, hdmesa said:

What the fuck? Literally one of the few reasons for me to use an SL2/SL2-S for manual focus lenses over other brands. No joystick push for zooming? I won't be coming back to the SL cameras. Ever.

when using m lenses it still works for me. Is it only an issue with autofocus lenses? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malabito said:

when using m lenses it still works for me. Is it only an issue with autofocus lenses? 

Ah, well in that case I don't care what they do with AF lenses 🫠 Glad it still works for manual focus lenses.

Edited by hdmesa

The literature on their firmware updates includes details under the headings 'NEW, 'EXTENDED FUNCTIONALITY', and 'IMPROVEMENT'.  It would be helpful if they listed all changes that they have made, so one could evaluate the +/-'s of updating before doing so, rather than having to rely on the 'gems' that early updaters find and post on these forums.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Ah, well in that case I don't care what they do with AF lenses 🫠 Glad it still works for manual focus lenses.

but it still behaves like before, if pressed it zooms and if you press again it doesnt do anything, this with none leica m lenses using the none leica adapter. I also have the leica adapter and some 6 bit coded lenses, will test these to see if its the same.

3 minutes ago, Malabito said:

but it still behaves like before, if pressed it zooms and if you press again it doesnt do anything, this with none leica m lenses using the none leica adapter. I also have the leica adapter and some 6 bit coded lenses, will test these to see if its the same.

Thank you for testing 

This was my chat query and the Leica response: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Seems like leica support doesnt know what they are talking about :) 

(Update: it works with a none leica adapter, as seen in the video below, with the leica adapter it doesnt work, the fw update broke the functionaility)

Edited by Malabito
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Chris Nebard said:

😆 I hope you’re right. I wouldn’t wish to update if they are! Thanks Malabito, assuming you’ve tried and tested it, it’s not an issue then? 

sadly its an issue with the leica adapter. I have a novaflex and a leica adapter. When using the leica adapter it doesnt work :( Used to work before the update. With the none leica adapter, (novaflex) it continues to work, the video above is with the novaflex.

So if you have a leica adapter dont update.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Malabito said:

sadly its an issue with the leica adapter. I have a novaflex and a leica adapter. When using the leica adapter it doesnt work :( Used to work before the update. With the none leica adapter, (novaflex) it continues to work, the video above is with the novaflex.

So if you have a leica adapter dont update.

Good grief! Even more ludicrous than I thought. So, let me get this right, due to the update, you now get more M/F functionality with a third party adapter? You couldn’t make it up.  Thanks for checking Malabito. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is even worse. I have the Leica M to L adapter for my M glass and the Metabones F to L adapter for my Nikon manual focus lenses.  After the 6.0 update I configured my SL2 for thumbwheel magnification.  Works fine with my M lenses, but with the Metabones adapter the Joystick magnification still works, but not the thumbwheel magnification. In order to have a consistent configuration for when I am using my manual focus lenses, I have to assign a FN button to magnification since that is the only method that works with both adapters.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Luke_Miller said:

It is even worse. I have the Leica M to L adapter for my M glass and the Metabones F to L adapter for my Nikon manual focus lenses.  After the 6.0 update I configured my SL2 for thumbwheel magnification.  Works fine with my M lenses, but with the Metabones adapter the Joystick magnification still works, but not the thumbwheel magnification. In order to have a consistent configuration for when I am using my manual focus lenses, I have to assign a FN button to magnification since that is the only method that works with both adapters.

Hopefully they fix this, but I'm afraid their fix might be to disallow the joystick press to magnify on all adapters, expecting us to use the thumbwheel instead. The fix needs to be allowing the choice for both joystick press and thumbwheel press for all types of adapters.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Hopefully they fix this, but I'm afraid their fix might be to disallow the joystick press to magnify on all adapters, expecting us to use the thumbwheel instead. The fix needs to be allowing the choice for both joystick press and thumbwheel press for all types of adapters.

Agree. Especially for those who also shoot with the SL, which doesn't have the option of zooming with the thumbwheel.

• Like 2