M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 minutes ago, UliWer said:

Whoever may be interested in a M10-D hoping he may use the app for some functions he otherwise misses: wait until you can be very sure that the app is usable at all. 

Working with both Android and iOS apps, I am finding that the M10 is probably the best supported, then the CL, then the SL.  So I am optimistic, but this is still good advice.

vor 21 Minuten schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

...  But since there is no touch-screen interface in the M10's firmware, it would be a lot of work to use that pathway with an M10-D.  ...

Have a look at the old "Leica M App": you can zoom in and move the focus point with the (normal) M10. You use your touchscreen on the device like the touchscreen on the M10-P.

Though I have to add a caveat: Perhaps (just my theory) my recent experience with constant freezing of the M10 when I try to connect to the "Fotos App" started after I tried the old "Leica M App" again. It had an update which enables to use it with Firmware 2.6.5.0. I tried this and it worked. I am not sure about any causality, though after this try with the old "Leica M App" I had the bad experience with the Fotos App, which I havn't had before (though I never took the Fotos App for a good solution).  

BTW: Which version for iOS of the "Fotos App" do you use? Mine is still 0.24.0 and I cannot find any other version on Testflight. Other users here wrote about 0.24.2 for iOS...

Edited by UliWer

Looks like the M10-D (if the pictures are authentic) and the Pixii share a few key design assumptions.

https://pixii.fr/why-pixii

"By moving software and screen off the camera we can make both parts better. The camera software now evolves at the speed of an app. The camera body is updated directly from the Cloud. And when you upgrade your phone, you get a better screen and a better processor for your photos."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UliWer said:

Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean, but it is possible to move the focus point in LV with the M10. Of course M-lenses won‘t focus automatically at any point in the field, but you can do it manually:

You shift the position of the detail within the image field by the direction pad and get a target cross to indicate the center of detail. With the M10-P you can do it on the touchscreen. Since the M10-D does not seem to have a direction pad (and of course no screen) it seems as if this would not be possible. It wasn‘t possible with the M240. 

I assume he meant that rotating the camera changes the subject distance unless you pivot around the correct point on the sensor. Not that that’s a big deal.

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

BTW: Which version for iOS of the "Fotos App" do you use? Mine is still 0.24.0 and I cannot find any other version on Testflight. Other users here wrote about 0.24.2 for iOS...

I'm using 24.2 in both Android and iOS/TestFlight flavors.  Incidentally, in saying that the M10-D probably doesn't accept touch commands, I may be wrong.  What if it is based on the M10-P, which has a touch screen, rather than the M10?  In fact that is the most likely path.

18 hours ago, rosuna said:

If the advance lever is for cocking the shutter... this camera is WONDERFUL. A piece of art and a perfect design. The best M digital camera, and a landmark in the Leica tradition.

A manual activation of the shutter saves battery and makes, probably, an almost silent actuation. 

Winding the shutter takes very little power.

Operating the imager sensor and its supporting electronics takes vastly more power than that, probably on the order of two orders of magnitude more power. And the noise of the motorized shutter wind is almost indiscernibly different from that of a manually wound shutter, if you listen to the sounds of the Ms in the link I posted. It is a stupid fetish thing to add to a modern camera, which must have a large power supply attached anyway to function.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No. The battery merely powers the electronics for the shutter timing.

((EDIT: I sometimes still fight the new forum software on my iPhone. This was supposed to refer to the question of M7 power usage for shutter winding. My answer came too late and without the quote @jdlaing))

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rramesh said:

A big drain on the battery is the LCD screen and shutter. How about a manual shutter lever and powered by a really small battery, like a CR2032 battery? Would be a great way to reduce weight I think.

An almost fully manual rangefinder with a digital sensor.

If the Visoflex truly is an option, a CR2032 battery would be able to power it for about two minutes, 45 seconds with GPS enabled. The M10 M-D will surely need a full sized M10 battery.

The wind lever could be used to cock the shutter, but I fully agree with others that it would make no sense whatsoever from an energy balance point of view.

Even if cocking the lever was used for charging the digital operation, any sensor readout, buffer clearance and SD card write controlling (which can be quite voltage sensitive) might become very unreliable. You move a mechano-electrical automatic watch all day. You don’t want to ratchet your pseudo wind lever all day ;)

Thus, at best, we get a superfluous, faux retro, boring mechanical action wind lever - at worst, we get an abominable non-functional lever or one that is used for some counterintuitive task better suited to buttons or wheels. 

I would much prefer the „leaked“ images to be fabrications :(

Edited by schattenundlicht
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, georgio said:

I thought the lever was to make the camera ready to shoot the next picture.
Actually the same way as the lever was doing on the famous Epson RD-1 camera..

Indeed it should wind up the shutter the same way as the R-D1 did, otherwise i see little point to what looks like a shutter charge lever but i lay be wrong. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, a.noctilux said:

John, your idea of magnification/move in the field in Visoflex 020 on M10 (M-D) is very nice.

Possibility without adding the direction pad ;).

The moving function may add a button (why not keeping the focus front button of M10 ):

- moving left or right with the wheel only

- keeping the front button pressed then up and down with the wheel

a bit clumsy but why not :rolleyes:

From my post #44

Front button is there (but may have other functions also, we'll see in few days ):

https://leicarumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Leica-M10-D-camera-without-LCD-screen5.jpg

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Arnaud,

I was wondering if moving the focal/magnification point could be relegated to the iPhone/Android App.  Easy with the touch screen.

I’m far from convinced about the winder.  It won’t be the first time the rumours site has it wrong.

John

John,

I hope that this is only an option ( change setting via Smartphone is clever idea ), and in basic use not relying on another device.

If "wrong rumours", that wouldn't bother me as happy user of M-D:

Think not having strong enough budget to buy one M10-D if available.

I wonder where they took those images ?

• Like 1