M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, adan said:

Not really - the pink faces come from using the default "daylight" camera calibration or profile. Which, once an image is white-balanced for extreme yellow light, removing too much yellow from pale skin (a tint of orange), makes the skin magenta.

Take it from a pro who has corrected hundreds of faces shot under low-Kelvin light, with or without IR filters, M8/9/10 -  you will STILL have to use a separate calibration (red primary shifted +10-20 yellow depending on the light's Kelvin color) to "de-pink" skin. Use the correct profile and the presence or absence of an IR filter has neglible effect.

They both look pretty bad. The subject looks sunburnt in the first. In the second, he looks like he is about to throw up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adan said:

Take it from a pro who has corrected hundreds of faces shot under low-Kelvin light, with or without IR filters, M8/9/10 -  you will STILL have to use a separate calibration (red primary shifted +10-20 yellow depending on the light's Kelvin color) to "de-pink" skin. [...]

Great if the mask were orange but if it were red, as i dare not suspect it ;), i would simply adjust WB (5000k) personally. YMMV.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

10 hours ago, adan said:

Not really - the pink faces come from using the default "daylight" camera calibration or profile. Which, once an image is white-balanced for extreme yellow light, removing too much yellow from pale skin (a tint of orange), makes the skin magenta.

Take it from a pro who has corrected hundreds of faces shot under low-Kelvin light, with or without IR filters, M8/9/10 -  you will STILL have to use a separate calibration (red primary shifted +10-20 yellow depending on the light's Kelvin color) to "de-pink" skin. Use the correct profile and the presence or absence of an IR filter has neglible effect.

I was sometimes wondering what was happening to the skin colors but never thought it through. Your explanation sounds reasonable to me. As we normally know how things look like, global adjustments don't always work well enough. I will try your approach next time something similar pops up. My subjects do not always wear masks ...

lct - yes, but now your background walls are incorrectly greenish (as are the highlights on the face - talk about nauseous ;) ).

Global white balance needs to be set for neutrals (whites and grays ("dark" whites)) and not used to "correct" individual colors.

Ideally one uses a ColorChecker target to create a "yellow light profile,"  which may involve adjustments to hue and saturation across all three primaries. And saves that as an available preset, which can be applied to those pictures that need it. My own "ad hoc" red adjustment was a bit simplistic, although illustrating the principle.

Here's a more sophisticated profiling (Note - the primary RGB sliders also affect their color complements. Thus the blue settings also change yellows - in this case less yellow saturation as well as blue, and slightly more reddish yellows (as well as more cyan blues, of which there are few in this picture):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

BTW - the gentleman in question is Hispanic American. Therefore his skin color may (I didn't ask for his "23andMe" genetic profile ;) ) be influenced by any or all of the following: Native American (which itself derives from NE Asian via the Bering Strait), Iberian, North African, possibly sub-Saharan African, or Northern European.

I happened to take the crowd-shot below a couple of months ago, and took the opportunity to sample skin colors across the crowd, which are shown in the side panel. Samples taken from non-highlight/non-shadow foreheads (or cheeks). Overcast lighting white-balanced off the white banners.

Not perfectly representative of the entire "U.S. Melting Pot," but enough variation to show that any one random "internet arbiter's" opinion of "correct skin color" can be filed under "ignorant - and ignorable."

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 2

Another AWB challenge, but it came out well.  Low light, daylight from an adjacent room, and a big orange wall...

L1009897 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr M10-D, M28 asph/2.8@2.8 ISO 2000