M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

Now Leica Rumors says the film advance lever will most likely not serve any specific purpose. I wonder how easy it will be to take it off?

Easy peasy with a different collar, I'll bet.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

The lever is in the cocked and locked position, and the camera is held this way:

Yup. Always in the way when open. That's why I never liked that type of lever. I always had them flat against the body when shooting because I don't put my thumb there. 

2 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Now Leica Rumors says the film advance lever will most likelynot serve any specific purpose. I wonder how easy it will be to take it off?

If Leica fits the M10 M-D with a totally non-functional lever, the churning sound audible in the streets of Wetzlar will be Oscar Barnack turning in his grave...

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, charby57 said:

As I look at this lever on the pictures, it looks like being quite a bit shorter than one on a regular analog leica mp or m-a. 

The R-D1's is even shorter. Enough to cock the shutter but useless for a dummy the M-D's is not according to my crystal ball. The latter may have some haze though.:D

7 hours ago, charby57 said:

As I look at this lever on the pictures, it looks like being quite a bit shorter than one on a regular analog leica mp or m-a. 

It doesn’t reach the hot shoe on the top deck of the camera.

The Visoflex explains why is that.

Edited by rosuna
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, schattenundlicht said:

If Leica fits the M10 M-D with a totally non-functional lever, the churning sound audible in the streets of Wetzlar will be Oscar Barnack turning in his grave...

Barnack died about 17 years before the first Leica with a wind on lever, but your point is well made. I understand that this one may function as an on/off device and also as a grip 'thingy'. Some might call this affectation, but let us wait until the announcement during the week.

William

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willeica said:

Barnack died about 17 years before the first Leica with a wind on lever, but your point is well made. I understand that this one may function as an on/off device and also as a grip 'thingy'. Some might call this affectation, but let us wait until the announcement during the week.

William

I am aware that you are aware that I am aware of the timeline of Leica camera development ;)

I think, we both agree, that Barnack, his restless engineer's mind meticulously optimizing his cameras from iteration to iteration, while retaining the ingenious basic principles, would never have added any non-functional or pro forma element on any of his LTM bodies. I presume that the mere idea would have abhorred him.

Our speculations will be moot, however, in a few days.

Kind regards

Mathias

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 minutes ago, schattenundlicht said:

I am aware that you are aware that I am aware of the timeline of Leica camera development ;)

I think, we both agree, that Barnack, his restless engineer's mind meticulously optimizing his cameras from iteration to iteration, while retaining the ingenious basic principles, would never have added any non-functional or pro forma element on any of his LTM bodies. I presume that the mere idea would have abhorred him.

Our speculations will be moot, however, in a few days.

Kind regards

Mathias

Well, probably Mathias - 

But if there had been an issue that 76% of M users had bought a 'thumb grip' either from Leica or from a third party company, but that thumbie used up the hot shoe - which didn't just mean that they couldn't use flash, but that they couldn't use the EVF either . . then it might be worth putting some thought into something which would be an optional thumb grip, but wouldn't snag on your bag or take up the hot shoe, or scratch the back of the camera when dust got behind it. 

I know nothing, but it seems to me that there might be an argument on practical (engineering) ground for adding something which solved a problem and improved ergonomics. Personally, even at my huge advanced age, I can just about manage to carry my M10 without assistance.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, schattenundlicht said:

Thanks Mathias. I was aware that you were aware etc. I was just teasing. My own preference if I want to use old technology is to do just that and to take photos with an old camera. Pretend old technology on new cameras is just a form of conceit, but some people seem to like it. For me it is just like drinking watered down whiskey.

William

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Well, probably Mathias - 

But if there had been an issue that 76% of M users had bought a 'thumb grip' either from Leica or from a third party company, but that thumbie used up the hot shoe - which didn't just mean that they couldn't use flash, but that they couldn't use the EVF either . . then it might be worth putting some thought into something which would be an optional thumb grip, but wouldn't snag on your bag or take up the hot shoe, or scratch the back of the camera when dust got behind it. 

I know nothing, but it seems to me that there might be an argument on practical (engineering) ground for adding something which solved a problem and improved ergonomics. Personally, even at my huge advanced age, I can just about manage to carry my M10 without assistance.

It was good to meet you again in Wetzlar a couple of weeks ago, Jono. I never use a 'thumbs up' thingy as sticking my thumb up in the air while holding a camera is an unnatural action for me. I do have a theory, however, that the 'thumbs up' business goes back to the Double Stroke M3 when putting your thumb behind the wind on lever was an assurance that two strokes had been applied. I always say that you cannot call yourself a 'real Leicaman' unless you have used a Double Stroke M3. Now what I want to know, tongue in cheek or otherwise, is whether the M10-D is single stroke or double stroke, perhaps with two functions?

William

Edited by willeica

19 minutes ago, willeica said:

It was good to meet you again in Wetzlar a couple of weeks ago, Jono. I never use a 'thumbs up' thingy as sticking my thumb up in the air while holding a camera is an unnatural action for me. I do have a theory, however, that the 'thumbs up' business goes back to the Double Stroke M3 when putting your thumb behind the wind on lever was an assurance that two strokes had been applied. I always say that you cannot call yourself a 'real Leicaman' unless you have used a Double Stroke M3. Now what I want to know, tongue in cheek or otherwise, is whether the M10-D is single stroke or double stroke, perhaps with two functions?

William

William - it was lovely to meet you as well, but one of my few regrets is that I didn't find time to sit down and talk properly!
So many people and so little time!

I'm afraid I can't claim to have used a double stroke M3 (my bad) but I certainly am not keen on the thumbs up (or any other kinds of dressing up!). I've no idea whether the M10-D is single or double stroke . . . but I hope and trust that you can tuck it away if you don't want it (even if your friends keep on taking the Mickey!). 

Even worse, I do like a little water in my Whiskey

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, if this is real, I will be sorely disappointed that Leica didn't go full retro and release a digital IIIf, with a winding knob and separate VF and rangefinder windows. 

They could even make the SD slot extra fiddly to replicate the film loading.

Why not go all the way?

• Haha 4

vor 4 Stunden schrieb oldwino:

Well, if this is real, I will be sorely disappointed that Leica didn't go full retro and release a digital IIIf, with a winding knob and separate VF and rangefinder windows. 

They could even make the SD slot extra fiddly to replicate the film loading.

Why not go all the way?

Unfortunately SD - cards are already sold with an edge cut off. So there is no chance for the unspoiled experience of a Barnack-Leica.

• Haha 2

I am one of those "76%" who bought a thumbs up and frankly care about ergonomics more than exactly following a 1950's design. (Which I will probably be banned for life from the forum :- )

A list of everyday objects that have been improved with ergonomics since the 1950's is a very long list

I too care about ergonomics and for me a 'thumbs up' is very unergonomic. It takes all sorts. My point about the M3 DS was about the origins of the 'thumbs up' for rangefinders which I don't see being used on Nikon or Canon SLRs etc. Perhaps the reflex hump gets in the way, but the need for good grip on those cameras is still the same. I suspect that the M10-D lever will be marketed as a 1950s style 'thumbs up'.

William

Having owned and used M2s, M3s (single & double stroke), M4s, M4-2s, M4Ps and M6s, I can honestly say that I've never used the wind on lever as anything other than a wind on lever. I don't want or need anything added to my digital Ms like a 'thumbie' either. A wind on lever which is not a wind on lever would seem to be the antithesis of what Leica should really be trying to be about. We will (may) see.

• Like 1