M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 hours ago, schattenundlicht said:

Thus, at best, we get a superfluous, faux retro, boring mechanical action wind lever - at worst, we get an abominable non-functional lever or one that is used for some counterintuitive task better suited to buttons or wheels. 

I agree, if the lever is non-fuctional or used for any silly task, but it would be interesting if it is for cocking the shutter.

16 hours ago, schattenundlicht said:

With th M10-P this is already negligible.

So the M10-D "motorless" will be even more negligible. 

If the Visoflex is an option, the M10-D could offer the possibility of turning off the motor for manual cocking operation (just when you spread out the lever).

When the Visoflex is in place, the lever has to be folded up and the motor-driven cocking of the shutter turns on.

Easy and intuitive. 

Anyway, I don't use a Visoflex, so a pure motorless camera would have been perfect for me.

Edited by rosuna

19 hours ago, ramarren said:

Winding the shutter takes very little power.

Operating the imager sensor and its supporting electronics takes vastly more power than that, probably on the order of two orders of magnitude more power. And the noise of the motorized shutter wind is almost indiscernibly different from that of a manually wound shutter, if you listen to the sounds of the Ms in the link I posted. It is a stupid fetish thing to add to a modern camera, which must have a large power supply attached anyway to function.

The same may be said about the LCD screen. 

This camera is about the reproduction of pure mechanical operation on a digital camera. 

The only flaw I see in this camera is the possibility/option of a Visoflex, because it implies the electric motor for cocking the shutter is present ( although you can turn off the thing).

• Thanks 1

Following on from Rosuna’s Opinion, I think there will be a few disappointed people.  If history is followed, the -D variant is designed for leica aficionados who want to transition from film to digital.  The -D will not offer any system adjustments. Indeed, there may even be no facility to format an sdcard.    No menu - because no screen- and minimal adjustments in the viewfinder.  Wireless transfer may be implemented in some innovative way, but no screen to configure the network.  Frame and Shoot to the sdcard, no review, remove sdcard and take images into your preferred device.    Simple.  Lighter. Less to go wrong.  The advance lever would save power and add to the economical use of battery.

How  many variants of a standard M10 can you expect from Leica. Every iteration of the theme devalues your current model.    This isn’t the next model of the 10.   It’s looking like a parallel/minimalist variant specifically for a certain group of users.  Don’t plan on selling your M10 or M10-P yet!

IMHO

Edited by lucerne
Clarity

Kwesi.

probably because there will be no alternative method to add exposure compensation for those who use it.   No menus, so every feature has to be be outside.

this camera appeals to me.  I wish I had bought the previous -D.   Limited production and difficult to find secondhand.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, lucerne said:

The -D will not offer any adjustments. No menu - because no screen- and minimal adjustments in the viewfinder.  Wireless transfer may be implemented, but no screen to configure the network. Frame and Shoot to the sd card, no review [...]

All this could be done through the EVF i guess.The latter can be used the same way as the screen on current bodies.  

19 minutes ago, lucerne said:

Kwesi.

probably because there will be no alternative method to add exposure compensation for those who use it.   No menus, so every feature has to be be outside.

this camera appeals to me.  I wish I had bought the previous -D.   Limited production and difficult to find secondhand.  

Hi Lucerne,

They could put the exposure comp dial where the ISO dial is currently shown the M10-D.

The whole set up makes me wonder if the majority of digital M users prefer auto ISO

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Hi Lucerne,

They could put the exposure comp dial where the ISO dial is currently shown the M10-D.

The whole set up makes me wonder if the majority of digital M users prefer auto ISO

Yes.  But I wouldn’t want to have to raise the button in the way it is implemented on the 10.   Just a rotating switch for speedy operation.    However, the traditional film leica had the rotating iso dial on the rear.  

Its too late for more modifications.  It’s released next week.   I hope they have kept the body and operations very simple.  As for operation via a smartphone, no thanks. I travel extensively.  I only want the camera in my hand.  

2 minutes ago, papimuzo said:

User of a M-D (262) the addition of the superfluous fake film advance level will be a deal breaker for me. I will unfortunately miss the M10 ISO key and refined external dimensions. A pity.🤧

Won’t the ‘fake’ film advance lever just act the same as a ‘Thumbs Up’ would? When I use my old M6 my thumb is nearly always on the advance lever at the first detent. I might be in a small minority here, but I think it’s a nice idea and really like the concept of this M10 MD. I might need to trade my 262 for one of these.

• Like 2

We've been using advance levers as thumb supports for decades. My favorites were the M3 double stroke and the R-D1 in the digital realm. Reason why i suspect the new M-D will have a double stroke or a short single stroke a-la R-D1, but i may be wrong as often...

The notion of the LCD-less M-D was not to save power: The notion was to minimize the distraction of menus, settings, chimping, etc. To reduce the digital camera to the same basics that made a film M great: concentrate on focus and exposure, concentrate on the subject only. All the configuration controls, menus, and their attendant buttons can be done away with when you don't have an LCD and don't have the distractions of camera configuration needs or image review in your face. That's the purpose, not the silliness of saving a couple of milliamperes power. My M-D typ 262 runs just a hair longer per charge than my M-P typ 262 did ... mostly because I spend so much less time diddling with camera configuration settings rather than shooting. 

Of course, the ability to review a photo immediately is a great advantage of digital cameras with LCDs, and the multiplicity of configuration options is another. But there are plenty of cameras around that give you these things, and only two that don't: the M Edition 60 and the M-D typ 262. 

I await seeing what Leica actually announces, if anything, and how they explain all the added frippery they've added to the "barest digital camera" concept. And I remain happy that I have my M-D typ 262.

G

• Thanks 1

Time for an unsolicited wish list of function mappings:

1) The three position dial on back will be "red" for manual wind, "white" for power wind, "WiFi" for tethered operation.

2) The top button will function as a "Wake Up" switch for manual wind mode.

3) The lever will cock the shutter in manual wind mode.

Also, can I have it in Silver chrome please?

Monies being saved up, ready for a new toy.

Eric

1) The three position dial on back will be "red" for off, "white" for on, "WiFi" for wifi connection with the phone.

2) The top button will function as a "configuration" of a few parameters without a phone.

3) The lever will cock the shutter in manual wind mode... when the lever is out manual rewind is activated, when the lever is folded power rewind is activated.

• Like 2

Let's look at the real thing -- here's my M2, bought used almost 50 years ago, and it has seen action every year since then:

C1090644 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL 60

The lever is in the cocked and locked position, and the camera is held this way:

C1090646 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It's a pretty good thumbrest, and with your right hand in this position you know it's ready and are ready for the next shot.  The left hand is free to focus, fight off the crowds, or whatever.