M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

The lever is obviously for cocking the shutter, just like the R-D1

But still it will be extremely interesting to see how Leica implements it - whether the lever is the only way to crank the shutter or entirely optional (my bet is on the later)

Another question is what does the button on right edge of the top plate do

We should also see a substantial bump in battery life

Price will also be interesting to see as even though it will cost less to make, due to its "niche" status they could very well charge a premium for it

Edited by charleswang

Most important question: will the lever be double or single stroke?

With the last firmware 2.6.5.0 we already got new shutter times for the M10: 1/25 (together with 1/24) and 1/50 (together with 1/45 and 1/60). If you don‘t believe me, just choose „A“ for shutter times with fixed ISO and look what you see in the viewfinder when you go slowly from a dark to a brighter surroundings (you have to do it slowly not to miss one of the new times).

1/25 and 1/50 were the times of the very early M3; so I guess the advance lever will have double stroke.🤓

• Haha 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Fedro:

good to see the ISO dial at the back, if it is what it looks like from the pictures, it is a pity that did not use it for ISO setting

Are you looking at a different camera maybe?
ISO setting is as on the M10, on top!

36 minutes ago, satijntje said:

Are you looking at a different camera maybe?
ISO setting is as on the M10, on top!

I am looking at the same camera: given that they went through the pain of adding what traditionally is a ISO dial at the back, I would have preferred if they actually used it for ISO setting, instead of exposure compensation and switching on/WIFI

Edited by Fedro
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2018 at 10:54 PM, HELM said:

I like the idea of not having to protect a screen - Leave ISO knob alone. Perfect the Leica Fotos app so that if you really need to look at a histogram or review a shot, you can with Apple or Android phone. The processing power in modern phones dwarfs what Leica could buy and install in the camera for a processor. I always travel with my phone so one screen to protect is enough

My mental model of the M10-D is that Leica starts with an M10 or M10-P and leaves stuff out.   The Leica Rumors pictures, if valid, show that LiveView is supported.  Now that FOTOS is available, even some degree of configuration management ought to be possible.  I'm using FOTOS with an M10, and already I have found that white balance and drive mode (delay, continuous, etc.) can be set through FOTOS.  I wonder what else is accessible.  My candidate would be the parameters of AutoISO.   The electronics of an M10 provide ISOs in steps one stop apart, so I can't see them going away from the ISO wheel at the rewind position.  That means that the back dial would work for exposure compensation, since that is supported with 1/3 stop increments.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GG Media Works said:

Leaked photos of the new M10-D! I hope the lever does indeed cock the shutter as with the film M's! Official announcement is rumored for October 23rd!

https://leicarumors.com/2018/10/16/pictures-of-the-leica-m10-d-camera-leaked-it-has-an-advance-lever.aspx/#more-54726

Follow the thread.

Jeff

There is a joy in the physical tactility of a film camera that until now has not been rivalled in a digital. Good on them. I really would like to sell my kidney and dive back into the digital Leica arena, but I need both.

As someone who shot with a Leica M for three years, after shooting my M7 for about a month, this is precisely the camera I wanted Leica to make!

This trend to design a digital M as an electronic replica of a film M seems to be reaching new, but in retrospect (I guess) obvious, territory.

A “film” advance lever?

Where does it end before it gets really silly?  Will this camera, or a future M11-D, have a battery shaped like an IXMOO film canister?  Or an SD card shaped like a take-up spool that you can only remove in total darkness?

Or how about they remove exposure metering and increase the fully manual experience by requiring external light measurement, or (even better) using a mounted Leicameter?  

Genius.

But, das Wesentliche?

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, dancook said:

I love the idea that the crank lever could be used to power a single shot, and that you'd never have to charge an external battery :)

That would be useful, and indeed would entice me.  But something tells me we’re in for disappointment..

13 minutes ago, M9reno said:

That would be useful, and indeed would entice me.  But something tells me we’re in for disappointment..

you never know, but I tend to agree with you on this one

it seems to me they are trying to make it look as close as possible to a film M while retaining as many features as possible of a digital M, not sure where this will land

I was waiting for this release, but since I saw the dial used for WIFI and lever I am not sure what to think .. not long to wait I guess

I think this is as close as we've gotten to a digital version of the original M concept and I applaud Leica for that. Bravo!!

My only critique is that: 

1 - the ISO dial should be on the back and expanded so you dont need a menu for intermediate settings

2 - the stuff currently on the back dial should all go where the current ISO dial is. all you need there is a +/- symbol, a wifi symbol  and on/off symbol.

the +/- position would then work with the thumbwheel.

Anyway, a great effort. looking forward to a test drive

Edited by Kwesi