Best M10 Strap

Snipe10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, raphael said:

Unfortunately, Leica changed the design of the 14312 strap.
Older versions have a broader band at the pad, while newer versions have a constant breadth:

Old:

New:

This is a problem if you hang the strap diagonally on your torso and wear a backpack. Then the pad can get stuck at the backpack straps.

Does anyone know what's inside the pad? Does the strap go through the pad? If so, is it possible to remove the pad entirely?

I have these straps, the newer version. You cannot take the rubber pad off unless you resort to irreversible surgery on it I guess and that's not a great idea I think........... I've tried other straps over the years, even the fine leather ones that came with the M10-D and M10-M, but always reverted to these. I even have tried very hard to like the PD Sling straps, bought four of them and they do have interesting capabilities, especially being able to remove the strap easily when you need to and being able to adjust the length quickly..........BUT I always come back to this 14312 type. I bought a job lot of them on Ebay last year, 50 USD for six of them..........They are now on all of my M's, film and digital, for me they are the simplest and the best solution,  

I go back and forth on using half cases for my M cameras but have Arte di Mano cases and straps for them.  The straps are great quality with regards to the stitching and finishing along with quality and choices of leather (a line similar to Hermes sourced leather is available).  The half cases are the best finished in regards to fit and finish I have tried.  Of course no cases for my SL/SL2 and upcoming TL2 which will be minimalistic for travel.  Arte di Mano is also available from Leica Miami in certain styles for immediate delivery.  Otherwise, I've had to wait up to 8 weeks for special order items.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb andyturk:

Interesting. I've got two of those straps and really don't like the pad much. It makes wrapping the strap around my forearm cumbersome.

How did you remove the rubber/plastic without harming the strap itself?

I only can say: carefully with a very sharp knife (like a scalpel). It is hard for me to describe it better in English. 

If i may recommend an alternative. I use the slim strap from Deadcamera straps. Along with the large protection disks for the lugs

https://deadcameras.com/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

On 5/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, ymc226 said:

I go back and forth on using half cases for my M cameras but have Arte di Mano cases and straps for them.  The straps are great quality with regards to the stitching and finishing along with quality and choices of leather (a line similar to Hermes sourced leather is available).  The half cases are the best finished in regards to fit and finish I have tried.  Of course no cases for my SL/SL2 and upcoming TL2 which will be minimalistic for travel.  Arte di Mano is also available from Leica Miami in certain styles for immediate delivery.  Otherwise, I've had to wait up to 8 weeks for special order items.

Arte di Mano half cases and straps are really nice, and I have them for my M10-R and Q2M. But the spit rings on their straps are too thin in my opinion, and I've replaced them with thicker ones. Anyway, their waxed cotton neck straps are really, really nice – very easy to wrap up and use as a wrist strap, and they store easily in a very small space in the camera bag. I use the regular length for their straps (shoulder or over the neck carry) since I don't have to wrap them as many times to use as a wrist strap.

Arte di Mano with thicker split rings:

My favorite straps for cross-body are the COOPH Leica Paracord straps in the longer 126cm size – perfect comfort and super-fast to bring the camera up to the eye without the strap binding or grabbing on my clothes – I lift and rotate the strap/camera in one motion, left hand lifting the strap off the left shoulder, right hand bringing the camera to the eye. These are thicker straps, but they can still be wrapped and used as a wrist strap. To fit them into a tight camera bag, I just wrap them around the lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, elmars said:

I only can say: carefully with a very sharp knife (like a scalpel). It is hard for me to describe it better in English. 

Help! I can’t get it off. It’s too sticky for a scalpel or just my fingers. Any advice?

54 minutes ago, raphael said:

Any advice?

Buy a new strap. Seriously. Finishing what you have started will weaken the strap beyond where I would want to use it.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 2

I actually just bought this strap *new*.

It seems like that you cannot remove the pad from the latest version. The pad is hard-glued onto the strap. You just can't strip it off.

Even after 2 hours working on this there's still rubber on the strap. Which makes the strap now completely unusable. I guess I have to trash it.

Edited by raphael

I've used the frequently mentioned Leica 14312 strap on various M bodies over the years. I prefer it to the more recent stock leather M straps. But I didn't put one on my M10 since the body no longer has the small plastic pieces on each side above the lugs to prevent body abrasions.  Has anyone used the 14312 on an M10 for an extended period and determined whether there is a camera wear issue where the plastic strap connector rubs against the body (black or silver)?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I've used the frequently mentioned Leica 14312 strap on various M bodies over the years. I prefer it to the more recent stock leather M straps. But I didn't put one on my M10 since the body no longer has the small plastic pieces on each side above the lugs to prevent body abrasions.  Has anyone used the 14312 on an M10 for an extended period and determined whether there is a camera wear issue where the plastic strap connector rubs against the body (black or silver)?

Jeff

It does rub and show on an M10 (black).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, raphael said:

I actually just bought this strap *new*.

It seems like that you cannot remove the pad from the latest version. The pad is hard-glued onto the strap. You just can't strip it off.

Even after 2 hours working on this there's still rubber on the strap. Which makes the strap now completely unusable. I guess I have to trash it.

Don't trash it. Carry on removing the pad and braid paracord round it as Leica's COOPH. I did it (see#27): 5m of Paracord (there are lots of colors, and will cost you less than 5 or 6 EUR/£/$) , look for tutorials on YT, and it's done in less than 30mn.

Edited by Gelatino

4 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Jeff

I've only used the 14312 straps on my M's, film or digital, since forever it seems. For me they are the perfect match, no reason to go for other more expensive solutions even though I have tried some like the PD Leash for instance and then returned soon enough to the 14312......But yes Jeff for those M's that don't have the plastic "rubbing strake" pads on you can get abrasion over time. I've simply put a small piece of black gaffer's tape where the pads used to be and the problem / annoyance is solved. My cameras, stills or cine, have always worn gaffer's or black paper camera tape with pride at their proven usefulness. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:35 AM, Snipe10 said:

Getting my first M10 and need a strap. Looking at the Holdfast Maven which is a plain strap but well made. It's flat instead of braided and made of buffalo hide. Any other recommendations? Thanks, 

I love the Artisan & Artist ACAM-25ER Easy Slider Camera Strap (and especially in the Khaki colour)

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/product_detail.php?id=189

1419249614_IMG_450920.jpg

vceuTqu34VZYg_nLWL--n2mh8zmyQCj1egU5Kr22

http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/ufiles/1448247699.jpg

Another favorite is the Leica Rope Strap Desigend By COOPH, with O-Ring - 49.6"/ 126cm (prefer the red one, but many colours to select from)

https://store.leica-camera.com/uk/en/rope-strap-red-designed-by-cooph?number=18597

5041780152.jpg

https://www.leica-store-muenchen.de/en/product/15587/leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-126cm

leica-rope-strap-designed-cooph-olive-12

Edited by martinot

+1 for Peak Design if you like to swap straps, like quality products and innovative designs. I just don't like the aesthetics of the plastic anchors. They are however, very durable.

I decided to go with this Rock n Roll after a lot of research:

https://rocknrollstraps.com/shop/camera-straps/rock-n-roll-m-straps/rock-n-roll-m-red-dot/

If you want to wear it across your body (my preference) make sure you select a longer length. I went with the default 100cm which is only really suitable around my neck or over my shoulder. I love this strap for both its build quality and the way it matches my black M10.

I used the included Leica strap until my new one arrived and it is probably the best included strap I've ever experienced. I found it a bit rigid and narrow at first but it's not a bad strap. 

4 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

+1 for Peak Design if you like to swap straps, like quality products and innovative designs. I just don't like the aesthetics of the plastic anchors. They are however, very durable.

I decided to go with this Rock n Roll after a lot of research:

https://rocknrollstraps.com/shop/camera-straps/rock-n-roll-m-straps/rock-n-roll-m-red-dot/

If you want to wear it across your body (my preference) make sure you select a longer length. I went with the default 100cm which is only really suitable around my neck or over my shoulder. I love this strap for both its build quality and the way it matches my black M10.

I used the included Leica strap until my new one arrived and it is probably the best included strap I've ever experienced. I found it a bit rigid and narrow at first but it's not a bad strap. 

The one pictured appears to lack any leather protective rings (included with Leica M10 strap) to avert top plate abrasions above the lugs.

Jeff

19 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The one pictured appears to lack any leather protective rings (included with Leica M10 strap) to avert top plate abrasions above the lugs.

Jeff

I recently found that even with protecting flap my M10-R shows abbressian marks. The finish is apparently very sensitive. 

It did come with protective leather rings. In fact, I was stressed at first because I could only find one in the box but the second was there. 

I also agree that the finish is sensitive. The leather protective rings from the Leica strap that was included appears to ever so slightly rubbed part of the finish off. I have been watching it while using this strap but it doesn't seem to have gotten worse. Then again, I've only been using it for about a month.

• Thanks 1