M10 M-D

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How many here who started with film SLRs, I wonder, used the advance lever as a thumb rest?

Two things are counter intuitive about the film Ms for me, coming from Nikon, are (1) I'm used to the camera being "On" when the lever is in the stand off position, and "Off" and locked when the lever is closed, and (2) the feel of the lever.  For some reason, the Nikon lever felt like it was made for your thumb to rest behind.  The M3 and MA, somehow, not so much.

I really don't know what to make of this lever on the M10-D ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

How many here who started with film SLRs, I wonder, used the advance lever as a thumb rest?

Two things are counter intuitive about the film Ms for me, coming from Nikon, are (1) I'm used to the camera being "On" when the lever is in the stand off position, and "Off" and locked when the lever is closed, and (2) the feel of the lever.  For some reason, the Nikon lever felt like it was made for your thumb to rest behind.  The M3 and MA, somehow, not so much.

I really don't know what to make of this lever on the M10-D ...

I guess tomorrow will tell the tale......

Well here's my $2c of predictions/wants 😁:

Lever:  On switch. That's all. Pick up the camera, one stroke and it's on. Very nice feel to that. No need for off, as auto-shutdown will be set to eg 10 minutes.

Rear dial : Red dot is (gasp!) video, as all red dots are. Left is Wifi. Centre white dot is neither, ie just off.

How does one code in a wifi password though????? Is little LED in OVF fully alphanumeric? Or will it require the visoflex for setup? Or just use WEP?

Looking forward to getting one of these ... oh wait, it'll be 2020 before I can actually get one in shop ...  patience, patience ... :-)

Regardless which function the lever will have or not have, 95% of my friends will think I'm totally stupid when I tell them that the camera I’m currently using (future vision), is a digital camera without a diplay but with an advance lever instead. And all this for a around 8,000 euros – without a lens.

What a crazy, beautiful, exciting yet costly niche. 😁

Edited by RF’sDelight
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, edwn said:

Well here's my $2c of predictions/wants 😁:

Lever:  On switch. That's all. Pick up the camera, one stroke and it's on. Very nice feel to that. No need for off, as auto-shutdown will be set to eg 10 minutes.

Rear dial : Red dot is (gasp!) video, as all red dots are. Left is Wifi. Centre white dot is neither, ie just off.

How does one code in a wifi password though????? Is little LED in OVF fully alphanumeric? Or will it require the visoflex for setup? Or just use WEP?

Looking forward to getting one of these ... oh wait, it'll be 2020 before I can actually get one in shop ...  patience, patience ... 🙂

The Leica "Fotos" app, which is supposed to be universal, uses a QR code to link camera and device.  They will have to provide a workaround for that somehow for a camera with no display.  It would have to be something unique to the camera like serial number, or perhaps a long button press on the camera when in proximity to a phone.

10 hours ago, AlanJW said:

The Leica "Fotos" app, which is supposed to be universal, uses a QR code to link camera and device.  They will have to provide a workaround for that somehow for a camera with no display.  It would have to be something unique to the camera like serial number, or perhaps a long button press on the camera when in proximity to a phone.

It's possible that there may be a QR code somewhere on the bottom plate as someone else suggested.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb rramesh:

So there are people who want a classically minimalist M with no LCD and buttons etc, but still want WiFi, a phone app, visoflex, and maybe even the darkroom to go with that classically minimalist experience? 

Its all about emotion not logic 🙂

I did use the prototype of the M10-D for several years.

The lever is with full function,  tauten the shutter and transporting the SD-Card-Roll to the next empty file.

Normally you are able to work out in that way 36 files per card, some of the real tricky fellows do have a technic while loading the new card and

end with 38 to sometimes even 40 exposures! But this might be a rumour, I never had more than 38...

BTW the video-function is fake news, this is not possible on SD-Card-Rolls!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rramesh said:

So there are people who want a classically minimalist M with no LCD and buttons etc, but still want WiFi, a phone app, visoflex, and maybe even the darkroom to go with that classically minimalist experience? 

I am probably one of those. I love the simplicity and look of old cameras, but I am too young to have any experience with analog film (and probably too lazy to learn). Instead I put on old lenses and I often edit my pictures so they look even more old. I think many digital images tend to look lifeless and boring. 😊