M10 - the Image Thread

TheGodParticle/Hari

We have warm/yellow LED bulbs in recessed lighting which makes my wife's skin a little more yellow.

The picture is pretty darn close to how it looks under the specific lighting. 

No camera is going to be truly perfect as their are so many variables, including those outside of the cameras control. I like what I am seeing in my very limited testing.

Remember, I spent 0 seconds editing. I can make the yellowish tint disappear in 3 seconds but wanted to send unedited images. Again, the LED bulbs are more responsible for the yellowish tint than the M10s WB, which again I think is an improvement over the M240 and certainly the M9.

D

• Like 1

We have warm/yellow LED bulbs in recessed lighting which makes my wife's skin a little more yellow.

No camera is going to be truly perfect as their are so many variables, including those outside of the cameras control. I like what I am seeing in my very limited testing.

Remember, I spent 0 seconds editing. I can make the yellowish tint disappear in 3 seconds but wanted to send unedited images. Again, the LED bulbs are more responsible for the yellowish tint than the M10s WB, which again I think is an improvement over the M240 and certainly the M9.

D

what WB setting?  Auto? tungsten?  I think the edited version would be more relevant and useful.  Again, the white looks pretty much white, which threw me off...

Nice pics!

Did you (or anybody else) get the impression that the pictures get considerably softer from 3200 to 6400 in RAW? I am asking because I saw a comparison in the German forum with 100% crops where this is the case: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266174-leica-m10/?p=3193191 (pictures imported as DNG in LR and OOC according to the post).

There is basically no noise but it looks as if this was smoothed out.

You pics do not create this impression but they are not in full resolution.

Edited by a.j.z

I took the M10 to the Women's March On Washington today, and shot about 200 pictures.  The light was abysmal - it was completely flat and gray/white, and given how many women were wearing bright pinks and purples, I worried the pictures would come out really garish and awful, the colors too hot.  While I find I still can learn how best to adjust WB, the work needed in LR was pretty minimal, and the color rendering quite accurate. 

Attached is a link to a write-up of the event which also provided an opportunity to post images that I think can give you a sense of how well this camera performs.  

https://tulipfrenzy.com/2017/01/21/the-leica-m10-at-the-womens-march-on-washington/

Please note: while I clearly was at the event today in sympathy with it, if the politics offend you, just look at the pictures.  That's why I post them here -- to give you a sense of how the M10 performs under very difficult light conditions.  And if you don't want to peak, here's the spoiler: this is the best M I have ever used, and I've owned every one going back to the M7.

I hope you enjoy this post and find it useful.

Nice samples. I would say --- for me --- this type of light is the perfect digital light FOR ME.  No shadows. No black eye sockets. Just a giant soft box in the sky. Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to get down to the DC store and take a few shots with this M10.

• Like 1

D

Leds have a discontinuous color spectrum (like fluorescents) they are missing some colors completely. Often photography under LEDs look different than the subject looks to your eye, when you were shooting. This is also true of "Professional film LED lighting". 

Edited by hmathias

Leds have a discontinuous color spectrum (like fluorescents) they are missing some colors completely. Often photography under LEDs look different than the subject looks to your eye, when you were shooting. This is also true of "Professional film LED lighting". 

True. However, there are some high CRI lights such as these: http://keldanlights.com/english/products/modular-video-lights/video-8m-cri.html?ridcat=22

"CRI" is a standard description of Visible light rendering (visible by means of the human eye) color light balance, CRI has nothing to do with photographic or cinematographic image rendering. That is precisely the problem, it looks great to the eye but photographs yellow or red or blue.  

Edited by hmathias

"CRI" is a standard description of Visible light rendering (visible by means of the human eye) color light balance, CRI has nothing to do with photographic or cinematographic image rendering. That is precisely the problem, it looks great to the eye but photographs yellow or red or blue.  

Is there a standard for sensors? A problem is that different sensors see the same light differently. Underwater videographers seem to like the Keldan lights - they are easy to ID in a shot of a diver using one or more typically two and sometimes more.

I will say this - the light from tungsten lights is much easier to look at then that from LED lights. I do not have the high CRI variety. I use them mainly as focusing lights for my underwater photography so as long as the AF sensor sees them that is OK. They might be OK for black and white photography.

Edited by waterlenz

Not the finest pictures but the first chance I have had to walk around and take some pictures. It was after 5PM when I reached Syracuse so pictures are high ISO. The M10 files take a load of abuse. I spent about an hour as the sun was setting at Syracuse U.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

Minimal processing because these won't be printed or shared other than test shots.

• Like 2

Jpegs may not be the finest examples. Just enjoy being part of the forum! 

• Like 9

I played with an M10 at the Leica store today, and I am very impressed. The smaller size is much more noticeable than specs would make it seem. The camera is absolutely beautiful and incredibly responsive (buffer etc.), and the files are really impressive. These were taken under really tough conditions to give me a feel how the camera handles these extremes. These are not pictures I would usually post, but I think they can offer some good insights.

This first one was taken at ISO 3,200 then pushed another +1.3 stops in Lightroom (Exposure +1.3) and highlights adjusted -45. It shows a wide variation of color temperature and EV, and the camera handles the range admirably.

Edited by BerndReini
  • Like 10