Is my SL2-S Bundle the Right tool for the job, or is there a better tool?

lencap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings!

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this post, but I'll try.  I was at a family event over the weekend, and brought the SL2-S to capture it.  While there I also brought my Nikon D5600 with the 18-55 kit zoom (28-80 FF equivalent).  I brought the Nikon for the family to use, taking any shots they wanted, with the camera set on "Auto Mode".  Several family members used it during the all day event, and over 100 images were created.  I gave no direction for what/how to shoot, merely mentioned that the camera is set to take pictures for best results automatically, and then showed them how to adjust the zoom lens to get the FL they wanted to use.  I used the SL2-S with the Leica 50mm SL-Summicron F/2.0 ASPH lens, part of the Leica "bundle".

When I looked at the images I was surprised by the family shots - they took a wide range of shots, making use of nearly the full zoom range of the Nikon, and some of the shots were nicely composed, even artistic.  I was delighted, but also it raised some questions.  I had the single 50mm Leica lens, and while I was perfectly happy with it, I admit that in many situations having a choice of different FL lenses would have been useful.  I owned the 24-90 Leica zoom in the past, but frankly the weight and size made it a lens I shot "on occasion", not a default do it all lens.

I was left wondering if maybe I should rethink my Leica kit.  What good is having a Leica camera if I can't use it to get all the shots I'd like in any circumstance?  Then I thought about the Nikon D5600 that I bought on a Nikon Refurbished Sale.  That setup cost was about equal to the sales tax I paid when I bought the Leica bundle and accessories (bag, SD cards, etc.).  I also realized that I don't use the SL2-S as much as I did when I first bought it.  I did add the Panasonic 20-60 L mount zoom to the mix, a very inexpensive way to have some focal length choices without having to constantly change lenses or carry them with me.

So, I guess I'm asking myself an uncomfortable question:  Did I buy the Leica setup to create the images I want, in any circumstance I might face?  If so, what do I need to change to give me that flexibility?  (Add back the 24-90 zoom, or perhaps the 24-70, or just use the Panasonic and not stress over the gear as much as the ability to get the shot with the correct framing and FL?  The less comfortable question, and the one I don't really want to ask myself is: "Is Leica ownership (with all that may imply) the real reason I bought the SL system?"  Or, phrased more directly: "Am I 'That Guy' - owning a Leica because I can, not because it's creating the images I imagined when I bought it?"

Still, if a cheap D5600 camera was capable of capturing the "feel" of the family event without much effort, and the Nikon Z kit I sold to buy the Leica could do that with greater control and flexibility, what is the "use case" for the SL platform?  I guess what I'm trying to decide is: "What is the "right way" to view the SL2-S platform, and how should I use it?"  Sorry if this post sounds like an "existential crisis" - that isn't my intent.  I was just surprised about the images that others created with the D5600 kit - many were fine shots, and all were nearly effortless.  It made me wonder why Leica killed the CL platform, and whether the size/weight/cost of the SL2-s platform is not the right tool for the job.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Your very insightful and honest appraisal suggests to me that you know you are “that guy” who owns a Leica because you can, not because it's creating the images you imagined when you bought.

As @FlashGordonPhotography suggested, Leica is for those who derive enjoyment from it. That it. If that isn’t you, that is entirely legitimate. It’s not a club that offers its members some other intangible benefits they can’t get somewhere else.

You don’t need Leica at all. Get rid of it and get another Nikon Z with a standard zoom (or similar). Capture those family occasions and whatever else you fancy. One more moment cogitating about how to make Leica work for you is a complete waste of time, effort and energy. It’s just not important.

If you want something to spend your money on, go and buy cameras for those family members who show an interest. Enhance their lives and your own.

All the best. 

Edited by Mute-on
  • Like 2

This is similar to what I experience when I hand over my second camera to my wife. Last time it was a GX8 with standard kit lens when we were on holiday at the sea side. She has a good eye for beauty and composition, but has no clue about FL, aperture or other technical things. The GX8 was set on P mode and all she hat to do was zoom and click.
This always results in shots that are very pleasing. Not always perfect, but often the shots I would not take, and a nice complement to my set of pictures.

In your case you even had more viewpoints from different people. Also, it is liberating when you do not have to think about technicalities and just have to click. I doubt that my wife and I would ever take the same pictures of the same event or trip. Even if we used the same gear, we each see and notice things differently. No problem with that. Part of the joy of using my Leica M9 or SL is that I am in control, and that there is some challenge in using a prime and MF or at least in choosing the right parameters for a difficult shot. Seeing the results on my computer looking exactly as I planned screen after PPis very satisfying. Sometimes it is even better than I expected. Someone else will  not feel or see it in the same way, they will just see a shot amongst the many.

All I know is that these 2 Leica's are my preferred tools. Maybe other tools are better suited to use automatically, but they get in the way more if you have a particular plan to execute...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From your description over this event it seems these sort of shootings are your use case for photography.  

If that is the case, yes, you are the guy that bought the leica because you could and now you should sell it... unless it drives you to pick it up and photograph a whole lot (which I don't read in your post).

As others have stated, I find pure joy shooting with my Leica's. I even bought a small sony recently and use it a lot and am happy with it, but always return to Leica's for whatever it is they offer: build quality, ergonomics, lenses, the experience of using it and I so Love their RAW files vs Sony...

There is no right or wrong, only what is right for your case and whatever you chose will be legitimate.  

• Like 1

For me, it was just the look and feel of the SL2-s (and the discount). At the time I tried both the Nikon Zf and SL2-s, the Leica just felt so much better in the hand, even though the Nikon probably outguns the SL2-s. I have both the 50 and 35 f2 Ashp which are light and have snappy AF. I don't really use my M lenses, as on the SL2-s I like to have AF. The 50 and 35 are enough for me, similar to my M-setup. I might add a Sigma or Pana mid-zoom one day, not the Leica zooms, just too big and too heavy. 

I admit that it crossed my mind a few times if I did the right thing buying the SL2-s, but then I remember why I bought it. So, just use and enjoy it and don't look back. If you sell it you will probably end up losing more money...    

You certainly can take great images with many cameras for much less money than Leica.

the question is- do you enjoy using the Leica over other cameras? Do you appreciate small advantages in optics and color management? If not, sell it.

if yes, enjoy it, but dont expect it to take better images than other brand cameras.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lencap said:

When I looked at the images I was surprised by the family shots - they took a wide range of shots, making use of nearly the full zoom range of the Nikon, and some of the shots were nicely composed, even artistic.  I was delighted, but also it raised some questions.

You didn't mention how your own pictures turned-out.

It all sounds like a good thing, except for the self-doubt. Your family took some good pictures, they had fun, and they created long-lasting memories. To be honest, it sounds like the same thing would have happened, had you used the Nikon and passed the Leica around. Or if the Leica had a zoom and the Nikon had a 50. Or any other combination.

As much as we (here) rarely like to admit it, equipment doesn't directly affect the quality of images. I learned that at my university photo club, where the best images were rarely made by those with the best kit. Just having a camera (or smartphone) gets you 95% of the way there.

Two conclusions:

Your family is into photography, which is great.

If it bothers you that your Leica cost so much, try shooting with a less expensive camera. You might enjoy the experience more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I try to avoid analysing other people's photography in relation to their kit, but since you invite it.......😏

The sort of family social event you write about, where you are a participant (not a pro photographer employed to record it), cries out for a lightweight versatile camera that is easy to use while balancing a glass of wine and a plate. That is not a SL2-S with a 50mm (not versatile) nor with a 24-90 (not lightweight). You are right: it is not the tool for the job.

If you are happy being "that guy...." then buy a CL+18-56TL or a Q2/Q3. If you are not happy being "that guy......" then you can add the Nikon (and many others) to your list of choices. This is exactly why I own a Q2 (as well as a SL2-S).

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 5

It is all about content and the photographer’s “eye”. You would also been happy with smartphone photos in this event. Now take your Leica into more demanding photographic situations and you might see the edge that Leica gear gives you. 

• Like 1

d5600 vs SL2S .. There is too much difference.

I don't think SL2s are for "new beginners".. usually, you get S2LS after much research or owning a Leica previously.

If you don't mind D5600, you have saved LOTS of $$$. Congrats!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, lencap said:

Still, if a cheap D5600 camera was capable of capturing the "feel" of the family event without much effort, and the Nikon Z kit I sold to buy the Leica could do that with greater control and flexibility, what is the "use case" for the SL platform? 

As a long time event shooter my zoom lenses are my bread and butter.  The way I like to shoot events requires it.  Sounds like you too are a zoom lens guy when shooting events.  I recently shot two informal events with my newly acquired Q2 just to familiarize myself with the camera.  Results were OK, but not up to what I would have gotten with my regular kit.  My enjoyment in photography comes from both the results I achieve and how much I enjoy using the equipment in my hands.  I enjoy shooting with My SL and SL2 more than my Z8.  If you enjoy shooting with your SL2-S more than the Nikon gear it replaced - keep it and get some L-Mount zooms with which you are comfortable.  Otherwise, you know what to do.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I appreciate the replies - all are helpful, thank you.

Reflecting on my initial post, along with your replies, has added another layer to explore.  It recalled my early photography experiences with my dad over 60 years ago.  He shot black/white and developed negatives with me at home.  It was a wonderful bonding experience as well as learning experience.  Back then “taking pictures” was an event, and the cost of doing so, while never the deciding factor, was a factor.  Later on, with inexpensive Kodak cameras we could “take snapshots” in color and every store made that less tedious and less expensive than developing at home.  We took more pictures, and dad taught me and my 3 siblings how to compose and shoot.  Those memories are still strong, and were foundational in how/why I enjoyed photography.  Like many families at the time money was tight, and photography became less frequent.  Dad’s cameras were used for decades as there was no budget to replace them, and with film there was no need to.  Tech specs were non-existent,, nor was “GAS”.  Photography was a hobby, or a family event.

As I grew older and started my own family I remembered my “together time” with dad, and “buying a camera” at that time didn’t involve the same challenges as today.  Film was still the only choice, no digital was available, and labs still developed and printed without much effort or cost.  Later on, as the kids were finishing up high school or college I entered the early digital world.  I also was intrigued by the tech driving the new image creation tools, and embraced it fully.  Back then the quality of digital gear improved quickly, leading me to “upgrade” often.  That pattern repeated for many years, and eventually led me to Leica M film bodies and the M9.  It was a combination of earlier memories, along with the continued fascination with digital technology.

Along that journey things started to change - the learning curve for Lightroom and all kinds of tools shifted from the joy of composition into a much larger learning process of digital developing.  The fun started to go out of the hobby, and I chased the latest technology in an attempt to cut down on Photoshop and other tools that moved me away from composing and into an abyss of fine tuning every image for hours.  I traded away my M7, 9, M-A, MP for the SL and Q bodies to offset my poorer senior citizen eyesight.  That experiment is a work in progress, but the impact of GAS and higher costs for my gear leaves me feeling a bit “guilty”.  It’s not a severe drain on my resources, it’s more the memory of dad using whatever camera he had and still making the photos he wanted to make.

Your comments have made me revisit these thoughts, and I’ll continue to sort them out.  It’s not about the gear, or the expense, it’s about rekindling the enjoyment of photography.  Watching different family members grabbing the Nikon, framing a shot and taking the picture while enjoying themselves and having fun was eye opening.  Thanks for the comments, and suggestions.  Keep them coming!  This forum is more helpful and far less expensive than psychiatric counseling!

Edited by lencap
  • Like 3

@Lenscap when I stopped with weddings, I didn’t photograph for several years before picking up a second hand fuji xpro1 with a 35/1.4. Didn’t want to bother with processing, so I tried to adjust the jpg presets in-camera and simply photograph and enjoy. The fujis did great, and I guess fuji really mastered its jpg settings.

Now, for the long winternights, I enjoy photoshop, but as spring has started, I rarely touch my computer privately. So my photos are standing till I have time.

Even now, with a beautiful leica setup, but a lack of a q3 with 40/50 lens I am considering to buy a xpro3 with a 35mm lens as my daily camera.

For event photography as a hired pro, the SL with zoom would do great. But being part of the event, it is too much of a weight, size. A M has great size, but is not really one handed.

There is not one trade of all in camera land anymore. At least not for me…

• Like 1

Forget the make of camera or in most cases the lens...  Pick and use what makes You feel good... Leicas like any other marque are only good if you enjoy the experience.. Why not try a 3rd party zoom lens on your Leica? I put a 1950's Summaron on my CL, changed my perspective and really opened my eyes to what is possible... If in the end the Leica is a 'pain' sell it and move On... 🍻

lencap - just a thought - I would try a USED (from dealer) Lumix 20-60 zoom L mount - on your SL2-S. You can pick one up for about $250 - I did. The Lumix 20-60 is great for quick snaps and works very well on the SL2-S (as I use). Small investment to try before you go do something you might regret AND might be just what you need for those family events. Just a thought.

• Like 1

Meh- you just need more lenses. BUY, BUY, BUY!!!!! My SL2 is my second  favorite body to shoot with next to my Xpro2. I like the look and feel of the Leica. I love the files in the right conditions. I also like the red dot, no shame in that. If the pictures are even marginally "important" I take a canon or sony body. Not that the Leica and Fuji aren't capable, they just aren't always the right tool for the job. I think if you are looking for a do it all body you are always making some sort of compromise. 

I'm reading this looking over all your shoulders as the situation rings a bell. For many years I owned and used a Canon F1 setup with 3 cameras, an enormous Billingham bag full of lenses and paranoia that if I didn't take all my kit with me I would miss THE shot I needed to capture. Essential I believed the equipment would "save" me. In the end it all go sold off because film at that point was as good as dead. There was no saving left.

Eventually I found my way to a Leica CL and a few lenses, and then a Q2 which was replaced by a Q3. These days I'm in Forrest Gump mode - "Simple is as simple does" - enjoying going out with one camera and one lens.

That happens to be a Leica, but it doesn't have to be for you. What counts is the enjoyment of using the camera and the excitement of seeing the images you produced. That's all that matters: not brand name, snob appeal or bragging rights - just simple personal satisfaction from what you get out of the experience. 

Maybe loaning out equipment to family members is a generous gesture, but not the one that tells you whether you get direct hands on enjoyment from using the kit you own. That's a different question.