Leica SL2 - problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am the original owner of a Leica SL2. I carefully cleaned the camera today, in order to photograph it in the studio so I could then sell it online, once I have a new SL3. When I went to photograph the rear LCD screen the camera would not power on, at all. I tried four different batteries, with the same result.  I tried swapping out the memory cards, switching lenses, using a remote cable, and nothing works. Not even a flicker of an LED. I did remove a tripod bracket from the camera but cannot imagine that would create this issue.

Could I have inadvertently hit a button or command that sort of put the camera permanently to sleep?  It shows no signs of life. I have had this great camera for several years, taken many thousand images, and never once had a problem like this. I am completely baffled and concerned if I have to send it in to Leica for repair it will be gone for many months. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Posted (edited)

I consulted my psychic who said, "Your camera quit because its Leica spirit heard you were going to put it up for the auction block...it decided to give up the ghost before being sold into slavery again".   I fired my psycho psychic.   All kidding aside, Jaapv's suggestion might help.  A fellow photographer who uses the SL2, his camera did a similiar action and it was battery contacts.  I hope you find a solution that isn't costly.  r/ Mark 

Edited by LeicaR10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

Did you clean out the battery compartment? If so check the battery contacts inside. 

Yes, I carefully cleaned the battery compartment and all the battery contacts with electronic cleaner & compressed air.  Also attached a USB cable from an iMac to the camera.  Still dead as a doornail.  Unless it comes alive I will be shipping it tomorrow to Leica for repairs, don't seem to have an alternative.

• Like 1

Maybe leave the battery out over night. Charge the battery and put it in the next day. I had a similar Problem once. But for me, the top Display went on shortly and out again, after i put the battery in. Other than that, no signs of life. 

I sent the camera to a friend who just put his battery in and it Was running again... Really weird. Maybe you have more Batteries or a friend with the bp scl4/6 battery. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I already did leave the batteries & memory cards out overnight.  I also tried five different batteries, all of which work fine in my SL2-S. Unfortunately I think it needs to go to the Leica Hospital, for who knows how long.

• 1 month later...

Just bought my first two Leica cameras at Christmas, the SL2 and Q2 Monochrome, using the discounted voucher program for the SL2. Now I'm regretting it because the SL2 is now a $7,600 brick.  It has been babied and I've only put on about 2,500 shots in ideal conditions.  Now it won't turn on and I've tried all of the recommendations across multiple forums to take out the battery and SD card for multiple days, and other ridiculous steps to try to get it working again.  This is probably my 30th camera in my life and I've never had this kind of problem with Nikon or Sony cameras.  I've never been so disappointed with a camera.  And now to see it's probably going to need to go back to Germany for a circuit board just weeks before a trip is the icing on the cake.  I call this a serious flaw in design.  And what happens if circuit board #2 does the same thing?  I know my 2-year warranty won't reset so feeling completely ripped off (not to mention the several L-mount lenses I've purchased for my new "premium" camera that I'll need to resell at a significant loss).  The Q2 has been great but clearly the SL2 voucher dumping program was a sham.

I understand your disappointment, but Leica buys their electronic components somewhere in the far East like everybody else. And electronics fail occasionally. The circuit board on my Russel Hobbs coffee grinder gave up the ghost last week…  Actually the SL2 is pretty reliable. 

Really?  Most SL users are here and it is not a common issue . this thread is a rare exception. Don't forget that problems tend to accumulate on the Internet.