How widespread is the ‘FREEZE’ problem!?

slippyphoto23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 hours ago, slippyphoto23 said:

As somebody who is strongly considering an imminent upgrade from an M10-D to an M11, I am horrified to hear the problems uses are having with their cameras… A deep dive shows that this problem seems to have been going on for a long while and has been exacerbated by, new firmware which means even brand-new owners of the M11-P, are also suffering. 

I realise there is consolidated threads to deal with the problem and this isn’t intended to be a problem solving thread - Just a metaphorical Show of Hands (without malice or intent) - I am interested to know quite how many users registered on this forum are suffering from these issues?  

Many thanks in advance. 

According to Leica only a very small percentage of users have issues. 🤣 LOL. I wouldn't believe that for a second.

My M11 was problem free on FW 1.6.1,  but as of FW 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 I've had issues, including corrupt images and some somewhat rare freezes. However, many users have not been this fortunate and this across several M11 family cameras. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My email to Leica London this morning…

”I’ve been reading some fairly widespread reports about owner’s cameras ‘Freezing’ during operation. 

I would be incredibly concerned by this, considering I use my Leica M professionally, in collaboration with clients - taking advantage of the connection between the camera and the Leica FOTOS app (Which is exactly how I use my M10-D camera when shooting alongside an Art Director - so in theory the new live tethered preview feature is a real advantage)

Please can you offer any info to alleviate these concerns?”

Followed by their response…

We used to have the freezing issues at the beginning but since the latest firmware have been released we haven't been experiencing it. 
The tethering option is  a great advantage now specially if you shoot a lot of studio photography.

If you like to test drive one of the M11 it could be a good option to do. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.”

I am now test driving it on the 16th to the 19th so I guess I will find out for myself either way.
Edited by slippyphoto23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, slippyphoto23 said:

We used to have the freezing issues at the beginning but since the latest firmware have been released we haven't been experiencing it. 

The tethering option is  a great advantage now specially if you shoot a lot of studio photography.

If you like to test drive one of the M11 it could be a good option to do. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.”

If the Leica head office is silent about the problem, then Leica London has no choice but to follow the lead of the head office so as not to lose the dealership and maintain sales levels. They have nothing to lose by selling you the M11, you may be lucky and not run into problems. And if you encounter a problem, they will say with feigned regret that you are the only unlucky person and will offer repairs lasting several months or replacement

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smogg said:

If the Leica head office is silent about the problem, then Leica London has no choice but to follow the lead of the head office so as not to lose the dealership and maintain sales levels. They have nothing to lose by selling you the M11, you may be lucky and not run into problems. And if you encounter a problem, they will say with feigned regret that you are the only unlucky person and will offer repairs lasting several months or replacement

None of my Leica dealers would have dared to behave this way with me when i used my cameras professionally in half a century.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lct said:

None of my Leica dealers would have dared to behave this way with me when i used my cameras professionally in half a century.

Then I will assume that Leica London receives M11 cameras of some special series that do not have the problems described above😂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smogg said:

Then I will assume that Leica London receives M11 cameras of some special series that do not have the problems described above😂

Since when were products distribututed according to preselected or predetermined serial numbers ?

This discussion contains some ridiculous statements.!

@smogg    Please send your m11 for a full cash refund and don't buy another one.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, algrove said:

So upset as my M11's and M11M do not freeze up , but my M6 just froze up at exposure 39. Boy am I disappointed. Will send it in for repair.

You just need to push a little harder on the film advance and the shutter will start working again.  No need to send it in for repair. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, algrove said:

So upset as my M11's and M11M do not freeze up , but my M6 just froze up at exposure 39. Boy am I disappointed. Will send it in for repair.

You should always get another half frame beyond 39. Just use it for a bookend. M6 repair time is now six years. 

Edited by fotografr
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, fotografr said:

You should always get another half frame beyond 39. Just use it for a bookend. M6 repair time is now six years. 

6 months to look at it, a day to dissemble & 5.5 years to work out how to put it back together   

(The last lens I sent to wetzlar was incorrectly reassembled according to DAG who then fixed it for me) 

• Haha 2

To give you an additional data point: I have an M11 and an M11M, I have used the M11 since launch. I have never had a freeze issue with my M11M and experienced 3 freeze issues over the lifetime of the M11. After switching to a scandisk extreme pro 255G sd card I have not had any additional freeze issues on my M11 (over a 2 month period). I am on current firmware on both units 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, algrove said:

I use Sandisk 128 extreme pro 300/s SD cards only and never a problem.

Same with the following SD cards since firmware 1.6.1.
I format them with SD Card Formatter though.
• UHS1 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s (64gb)
• UHS1 Sandisk Extreme Pro 170mb/s (256gb)
• UHS2 Sandisk Extreme Pro 300mb/s (64gb)
• UHS2 Sony Tough 300mb/s (64gb)

Am 27.3.2024 um 00:12 schrieb jgeenen:

Whatever M11 upgrade will show up in the future - only upgrade if you are expecting a real benefit.

Like getting rid of the freezes. Like getting rid of the magenta cast. Like getting rid of the color noise in high ISO JPGs out of the cam. There are a few issues that need to be tackled. As a camera, the M11 is only half-finished.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, algrove said:

I had a problem with a Sony Tough card on my M10M and never used them since on a Leica. That said they performed well on my Fuji 100S.

My first SD card for M11, a 64GB Sony Tough card, caused freezes when i bought the camera in May 2022. I tossed the Sony card then and reverted to my usual Sandisk cards with no issues whatsoever since firmware 1.6.1. Funnily enough i've been given another 64GB Sony Tough card for Xmas 2023. I planned to sell it or to use it with other cameras but curiosity was too strong so after 2 months in a drawer i inserted the new Sony card in my M11 and formatted it with the camera under the excellent (to me) firmware 2.0.2. Total success since then. The card seems even more responsive than my fastest Sandisk but i did no metering TBH.

Edited by lct

46 minutes ago, don daniel said:

Like getting rid of the freezes. Like getting rid of the magenta cast. Like getting rid of the color noise in high ISO JPGs out of the cam. There are a few issues that need to be tackled. As a camera, the M11 is only half-finished.

All will be good with the M12. 🥴

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, don daniel said:

Can I please ask you to say how you "know" there's a magenta cast with the M11? Have you been shooting grey cards at fixed (and known) broad--spectrum white balances, and then measuring outputs from different RAW converters?

I"ve seen a few images here (with all the caveats that browsers etc... impose on colors) that seem to tilt towards magenta. I've seen a few arguments about it here, but nothing demonstrable or repeatable so far.

For me, so far (5k shots in), I haven't seen any of mine with a magenta cast except in the case of very poor illumination and mixed light when I measure neutrals at various stages of illumination. Of course, this is raw-processor dependent...

Now, an unfiltered M8: *that* had demonstrable magenta issues :)

As for color noise in high ISO out-of-cam JPEGs; yeah, it's there. They should fix that if possible (it's certainly fixable in post, but the whole point, I guess, of SOOC JPEGs is not have to do much post-processing :)) 

Edited by Jamie Roberts
  • Like 1