How widespread is the ‘FREEZE’ problem!?

slippyphoto23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As somebody who is strongly considering an imminent upgrade from an M10-D to an M11, I am horrified to hear the problems uses are having with their cameras… A deep dive shows that this problem seems to have been going on for a long while and has been exacerbated by, new firmware which means even brand-new owners of the M11-P, are also suffering. 

I realise there is consolidated threads to deal with the problem and this isn’t intended to be a problem solving thread - Just a metaphorical Show of Hands (without malice or intent) - I am interested to know quite how many users registered on this forum are suffering from these issues?  

Many thanks in advance. 

Posted (edited)

Does the freezing problem consist of the camera becoming unresponsive very occasionally for some users requiring popping the battery out and in again?  I understand the DNGs also get corrupted potentially;  is it all the DNGs on the card are corrupted or just a few?   I got a M11P but have not used as I have been using other cameras but am deciding between the Leica and the XD2 when going on holiday.   For me, I don't mind if it freezes as per my description as my photos are not commercial and I don't absolutely need them.  Of course it would be better if it did not happen.  

Edited by ymc226
  • Like 1

I did get the camera on the first day it was released.  If it ends up behaving correctly, should I hold off on updating the firmware as reading the last pages of the main M11 freezing forum, the latest firmware may have made things worse?

My experience is if images saved to internal memory then very rare occurrence, maybe 1 in 1,000. Made worse by saving to card and being impatient when switching on. If freezes I pop battery and then continue. Single image lost. Not acceptable but for non professional minor hassle. 

• Like 1

My M11 is still working flawlessly since 12 months and two upgrades of firmware. However, the improvements of the new firmware are marginal, so what should be the need of an upgrade this time? Whatever M11 upgrade will show up in the future - only upgrade if you are expecting a real benefit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

In Forum terms, it is 100 pages with 20 posts per page kind of a problem pressing on for 2 long years since the M11 launch. Read for yourself:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/357248-m11-freeze-issues-merged/

And how many of those post are from people who don't even own an M11 verient?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, slippyphoto23 said:

As somebody who is strongly considering an imminent upgrade from an M10-D to an M11, I am horrified to hear the problems uses are having with their cameras… A deep dive shows that this problem seems to have been going on for a long while and has been exacerbated by, new firmware which means even brand-new owners of the M11-P, are also suffering. 

I realise there is consolidated threads to deal with the problem and this isn’t intended to be a problem solving thread - Just a metaphorical Show of Hands (without malice or intent) - I am interested to know quite how many users registered on this forum are suffering from these issues?  

Many thanks in advance. 

Do you need statistics? It's like this: 2 out of 2! Both of my M11 cameras have major problems. However, I will note that I often use continues high speed. 
Would you take the risk of buying a new camera now, given that the camera came out over 2 years ago? The problem has not yet been resolved, and with the release of firmware 2.0.2 it only intensified. At the same time, Leica has remained proudly silent for more than 4 months, obviously not fulfilling its promise to release the promised quick fix.

A reasonable doubt arises: is a fix possible in principle?

Edited by Smogg

1 hour ago, Smogg said:

Do you need statistics? It's like this: 2 out of 2! Both of my M11 cameras have major problems. However, I will note that I often use continues high speed. 
Would you take the risk of buying a new camera now, given that the camera came out over 2 years ago? The problem has not yet been resolved, and with the release of firmware 2.0.2 it only intensified. At the same time, Leica has remained proudly silent for more than 4 months, obviously not fulfilling its promise to release the promised quick fix.

A reasonable doubt arises: is a fix possible in principle?

I would say it’s just shocking!! As a professional photographer, and a regular user of my M10-D, wirelessly connected to the Leica FOTOS app - so that clients can see images I shoot in real time (also an advantage over the regular M10/P - which doesn’t do this in real time)

The wireless to the preview exclusive to the M11, gives a real advantage over the M10 In that regard, (not to mention the resolution). Great theoretical reasons for an upgrade - But I honestly don’t understand how Leica can be silent about this problem considering how widespread it seems to be. Hate to say it but I am totally put off reading the threads. 

For what it’s worth, I will however reach out to a sales representative to relay my fears, and report back here what they say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Al Brown:

In Forum terms, it is 100 pages with 20 posts per page kind of a problem pressing on for 2 long years since the M11 launch. Read for yourself:
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/357248-m11-freeze-issues-merged/

To be clear: this problem shouldn't be there! But these 2k posts don't say much about the quantity of freezing cameras, as nearly 750 of the 2000 posts came from only 4 members, see thread-statistic

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, slippyphoto23 said:

Many thanks in advance. 

You have and obviously use a M10-D, and you say you use it professionally too, so I guess it works for you pretty well and you like the "screen-less" D model as well I guess too..........So, there's plenty of rumours flying around about Leica releasing a M11-D maybe this year sometime, whether that's true or not I don't know but if I were in your shoes I'd just wait a while and see what Leica does in this regard. Because of the lack of a LCD and a D model requiring other means of changing settings such a camera would have a somewhat different software / firmware set-up and would be more recent I guess than the current software/firmware versions out there for the M11/M11M/M11P, so with some luck a new member of the M11 family might be a better bet.

My M11 bricked after two months back in 2022. It went to Leica NJ, where they swapped out a faulty circuit board. Since then, it's frozen maybe twice with near daily use. It was a disappointing intro to the M system but I love this camera and can't recommend it enough (now that I have one that works).