Q3 Bug Reports / Freezes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, James1975 said:

I'm really conflicted with the Q3. I love the images. But it does feel like they've released it with glitches. Similar to the M11. I´ve experienced freezing requiring battery pull outs at latest six times, it takes between 3-5 seconds to view photos after pressing the play button, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to centralise automatically the focal point (even though that setting is checked it simply doesn't happen and I always have to manually select where to focus by touching or joystick), start up time is slow (maybe 3 seconds or even four before it's ready to shoot), it keeps moving from photo to movie mode when it's hanging from my neck (probably bumping against my chest does that, not sure). At least it charges fine over USB (my M11 would only do that 70% of the time).

Image quality excellent. Focus etc a marked improvement on the Q2 (although I never tried the Q2 with the new most recent firmware). It's very durable (had it out in the pouring rain with no problems). The colours are really wow.

But it just doesn't feel like a finished product. Something I noticed with the M11. It's not a great look for a brand that so aggressively prices their goods (225€ for a sliver of aluminium to support your thumb alone?).

In another thread multiple times freezing has been attributed to the brand of memory card.  Have you tried that?  If not it would be worthwhile to know whether it was the cause.  The focal point centering is something I would like to be able to do but have yet to try.  Startup time may have something to do with the card.  Again, if you change cards and the cam stops freezing, then let us know about startup.  Can't comment of photo to movie mode but your hypothesis sounds correct.  So, it may just be a card issue and your chest... with a centralize focal point yet to be discovered.  If so, then it is a better finished product than people may think.  

All that said, when I got my Q3 as a first adopter, I expect to have issues that will require FW updates.  Haven't had a cam that didn't.  The Z9 I got 18 months ago was transformed into virtually a new cam with AF updates.  Most others I have owned, and they are too numerous to admit to, did as well.  Reading though these threads gives me an idea of what to look out for and test.  I recall years ago using my D3S for a wedding and having it hang constantly.  Had to pop the battery out numerous times.  I suppose I'm used to digital cams having issues.  Since I am going to use the Q3 mostly for pleasure and vacations, a minor glitch or 2 doesn't bother me.  As long as it doesn't bugger up my card and I lose images.... I will be happy.

Again gook luck and let the members here know your progress towards a finished product.

Bob, a happy Q3 owner.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Driften said:

With Leica when using auto ISO and you hit the max ISO set up it will decrease the shutter below the min shutter value. Some brands will just underexpose in that situation.

Nope, that's not the reason. The camera reverts the 'Shutter speed limit' in 'Auto ISO Settings' from f.ex. 1/125th to Auto. Some pictures were taken at ISO 320 with a shutter speed of 1/50th (my auto ISO is set to max ISO 6400).
I havn't found yet in which conditions the camera changes the setting. In can happen in the middle of a shoot.
I've now created a profile, as suggested by Stephen, and see if it helps.

On 6/12/2023 at 4:53 AM, Gueric said:

Also, in Auto ISO, when I set a maximum shutter speed (f.ex. 1/125th), the camera later reverts to automatic, resulting in blurry pictures (as I'l not aware it's taking pictures at 1/50th or lower).

What are you setting your minimum shutter speed to be?

43 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

What are you setting your minimum shutter speed to be?

1/125th. But, this said, I'll rather set it at 1/250th as the camera always favours low ISO over high shutter speed, while I rather need the latter. When the 'Shutter speed limit' stays correctly set, it apparently works as the default shutter speed, but that's surely as designed 😉

Leica responded.   Everyone who experienced a freeze should fill out this form. 

Our developers are investigating the freezing of the Q3. 

To help us analyze this specific problem, we would appreciate you answering several questions regarding the freezing of your Q3:

https://forms.office.com/e/mpwYb1qQCN

If you notice a pattern in the occurrences, or if you can provoke the freeze, please let us know.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2023 at 11:09 AM, NicoX said:

Hey!

I'm copy/pasting a post I made on another forum:

I simply wanted to share a few hiccups I came accross these last few days, using the Q3, and am keen to know if others have had the same experience (or if I should be concerned).

In no particular order:

• I'm unable to use Leica Fotos. I have a Google Pixel 6 phone, on Android 13, and for the love of me, I can't get this app to work properly. Not a single time have I managed to access the photos on my camera with the app. The WiFi keeps on disconnecting for no reason after establishing a connection. I truly have no clue what to do, except wait for updates that will stabilize things, hopefully.
  • In the last 7 days, I've had to perform roughly 4 hard resets, pulling out the battery. The camera freezes for reasons unknown; I can't figure out a pattern so far.
  • I find the camera surprisingly slow to turn on (3 seconds I would say) when I haven't used it for a couple of hours. It's immensely quicker after that.
  • When I acquire focus, the image will be blurry in the EVF yet the actual image taken will be sharp. Not sure if my EVF is flickering ever so slightly, or if there's something going on with the refresh rate. This only seems to occur while using C-AF and whilst half-pressing the shutter. This doesn't happen with the LCD. To be clear, the image looking through the EVF is sharp when I'm not focusing, or when I have acquired focus with S-AF. This only happens in iAF or C-AF. It's obviously quite distracting.

As someone else posted earlier on this Forum, I also find it odd to have no depth of field preview when using AF, even after half-pressing the shutter. You do have such preview in MF when half-pressing the shutter.

I look forward to reading other people's experience!

Hey guys,

So I actually heard back from Leica regarding all the above mentioned topics, and this is what they told me:

1. Regarding the Leica Fotos app, they're looking into my log files. No solution just yet. Still can't get it to work.

2. Regarding hard resets (I literally just had to do one), they invite me to report patterns, if any. Personally it mostly occurs when I'm switching from reviewing photos to taking photos. It's like the camera can't keep up. Maybe there's something going on with the readout speed of the SD card, I don't know.

3. Regarding the slow boot time (which, again, only happens when I haven't used the camera for some time; it works absolutely fine afterwards), they invite me to try a different SD card. Haven't done that yet.

4. Blurry EVF when acquiring focus in cAF or iAF (and sAF in 120Hz), they told me it's because, and I quote, "the camera continuously tries to find the best AF mode: contrast or phase detection. It actually does happen in the display too but is less obvious and will not have any effect on the sharpness of the picture taken." I can't say I'm super satisfied with the reply, but so be it...

5. Regarding the absence of DoF preview when using AF, they told me this only happens in cAF or iAF, but otherwise works fine in sAF and MF. I confirm you do have DoF preview in sAF (which I hadn't used so far) and MF (which was already established). They say, and I quote again, that this is "because the camera is in continuous focus metering and this is not a bug". I most definitely don't understand the technology behind the camera, so I can't comment on this other than by saying it's a bit of a pity from an end-user experience. It's a shame to have to review your photo to know if you have the DoF you intended for when picking an aperture (in iAF or cAF).

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, NicoX said:

Hey guys,

So I actually heard back from Leica regarding all the above mentioned topics, and this is what they told me:

1. Regarding the Leica Fotos app, they're looking into my log files. No solution just yet. Still can't get it to work.

2. Regarding hard resets (I literally just had to do one), they invite me to report patterns, if any. Personally it mostly occurs when I'm switching from reviewing photos to taking photos. It's like the camera can't keep up. Maybe there's something going on with the readout speed of the SD card, I don't know.

3. Regarding the slow boot time (which, again, only happens when I haven't used the camera for some time; it works absolutely fine afterwards), they invite me to try a different SD card. Haven't done that yet.

4. Blurry EVF when acquiring focus in cAF or iAF (and sAF in 120Hz), they told me it's because, and I quote, "the camera continuously tries to find the best AF mode: contrast or phase detection. It actually does happen in the display too but is less obvious and will not have any effect on the sharpness of the picture taken." I can't say I'm super satisfied with the reply, but so be it...

5. Regarding the absence of DoF preview when using AF, they told me this only happens in cAF or iAF, but otherwise works fine in sAF and MF. I confirm you do have DoF preview in sAF (which I hadn't used so far) and MF (which was already established). They say, and I quote again, that this is "because the camera is in continuous focus metering and this is not a bug". I most definitely don't understand the technology behind the camera, so I can't comment on this other than by saying it's a bit of a pity from an end-user experience. It's a shame to have to review your photo to know if you have the DoF you intended for when picking an aperture (in iAF or cAF).

No. 4 doesn't sound like that this is fixable because of how it works and hence it will stay blurry. 

No. 5 is reasonable how it is explained.

3 hours ago, NicoX said:

Hey guys,

#3 I wonder if this is related to periodic pixel mapping that kicks in after a predetermined amount of time. Is “haven’t used the camera for some time” over a period of 24hrs or more?

#4 Happens in every single mirrorless camera that I know of, especially noticeable on Sony cameras with high resolution EVFs. Maybe it’s just harder to notice on ‘cheaper’ cameras with lower resolution EVFs.

#5 Makes sense to me.

32 minutes ago, beewee said:

#3 I wonder if this is related to periodic pixel mapping that kicks in after a predetermined amount of time. Is “haven’t used the camera for some time” over a period of 24hrs or more?

#4 Happens in every single mirrorless camera that I know of, especially noticeable on Sony cameras with high resolution EVFs. Maybe it’s just harder to notice on ‘cheaper’ cameras with lower resolution EVFs.

#5 Makes sense to me.

On #4, a blurry EVF when acquiring focus in C-AF or Eye AF does not happen with my Sony A1 or A7R5. Also, when using eye AF I use my Sonys in C-AF for best use of that technology...people move. 

22 minutes ago, goodbokeh said:

On #4, a blurry EVF when acquiring focus in C-AF or Eye AF does not happen with my Sony A1 or A7R5. Also, when using eye AF I use my Sonys in C-AF for best use of that technology...people move. 

I don't believe I have that with my OM-System OM-1 either, but I'm too much of a layman to claim it's the same technology and, therefore, feel like I'm genuinely comparing apples and apples...

Edited by NicoX
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NicoX said:

I don't believe I have that with my OM-System OM-1 either, but I'm too much of a layman to claim it's the same technology and, therefore, feel like I'm genuinely comparing apples and apples...

Also, with my Sonys I believe they use phase detect AF only in C-AF mode. This sure seems like it's a Q3 firmware issue that will be sorted out in time. Thank you for the updates NicoX.

6 hours ago, beewee said:
10 hours ago, NicoX said:

#5 Makes sense to me.

#3  It has been 3 hours since I turned the cam off and it has the same slow boot time ~3s.  However, when I am shooting and turn off the cam for short periods the boot time is pretty quick ~1 second.  Would be interesting to get an explanation.

I originally solved this problem by switching to a faster memory card and it the new V90 memory card seemed to fix the issue, but it’s back again.

A couple days ago, the battery was completely drained even though the camera was off and today it froze on the Leica logo after deleting a photo and turning the camera off. 

I just click the battery release to fully turn off my Q3 now.  

On 6/20/2023 at 12:42 PM, NicoX said:

Hey guys,

For those who may run into similar issues:

1. Formatting my SD card did the trick. I still had photos taken with another camera on my SD card and it was evidently messing with the Leica Fotos app.

2 and 3. Changing to a faster SD card (now 300 MB/s, coming from 170) hasn't changed a thing. Camera still freezes every now and then, and still slow to boot after several jours of inactivity.

4 and 5. Nothing new there, but now i shoot in sAF because the absence of DoF preview in other modes is really bugging me. I sincerely hope they can improve the UX there.

• Like 1

My freezes stopped occurring when I turned off Leica Fotos and removed the Q3 from the app. The slow speeds of all camera operations eg playback etc will probably eventually be remedied.

I consider the above two issues relatively trivial when compared to the EVF/LCD screen issues including the depth of field, and most importantly the sudden incorrect variation of exposure when the shutter is half depressed. Leica/Panasonic have obviously made major errors when implementing their phase detect system. I hope head office in Germany quickly acknowledge these faults and fix these issues promptly.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2023 at 4:13 PM, goodbokeh said:

Is this what is being posted as a 'blurry evf' actually the focussing/lens pulsing in and out in continuous and out as does the Q2 but to a lesser degree. Someone said, as I pointed this out elsewhere, that this is to do with the way panasonic/leica implement focus with their hybrid sensors. I find it odd behaviour and while I can live with the  pulsing on the Q2 (which is fully contrast detect) I wouldn't accept this behaviour on a new Q3. And no the Sony's don't do this

Edited by viramati

vor 43 Minuten schrieb viramati:

Is this what is being posted as a 'blurry evf' actually the focussing/lens pulsing in and out in continuous and out as does the Q2 but to a lesser degree. Someone said, as I pointed this out elsewhere, that this is to do with the way panasonic/leica implement focus with their hybrid sensors. I find it odd behaviour and while I can live with the  pulsing on the Q2 (which is fully contrast detect) I wouldn't accept this behaviour on a new Q3. And no the Sony's don't do this

This is true. It is only in „iAF“ and it’s quite disturbing!

• Thanks 1