Q3 Bug Reports / Freezes

Hey!

I'm copy/pasting a post I made on another forum:

I simply wanted to share a few hiccups I came accross these last few days, using the Q3, and am keen to know if others have had the same experience (or if I should be concerned).

In no particular order:

• I'm unable to use Leica Fotos. I have a Google Pixel 6 phone, on Android 13, and for the love of me, I can't get this app to work properly. Not a single time have I managed to access the photos on my camera with the app. The WiFi keeps on disconnecting for no reason after establishing a connection. I truly have no clue what to do, except wait for updates that will stabilize things, hopefully.
  • In the last 7 days, I've had to perform roughly 4 hard resets, pulling out the battery. The camera freezes for reasons unknown; I can't figure out a pattern so far.
  • I find the camera surprisingly slow to turn on (3 seconds I would say) when I haven't used it for a couple of hours. It's immensely quicker after that.
  • When I acquire focus, the image will be blurry in the EVF yet the actual image taken will be sharp. Not sure if my EVF is flickering ever so slightly, or if there's something going on with the refresh rate. This only seems to occur while using C-AF and whilst half-pressing the shutter. This doesn't happen with the LCD. To be clear, the image looking through the EVF is sharp when I'm not focusing, or when I have acquired focus with S-AF. This only happens in iAF or C-AF. It's obviously quite distracting.

As someone else posted earlier on this Forum, I also find it odd to have no depth of field preview when using AF, even after half-pressing the shutter. You do have such preview in MF when half-pressing the shutter.

I look forward to reading other people's experience!

I’ve had plenty of bugs and crashes. Freeze on card format, freeze on firmware update (!!!), when clicking Play I have to wait sometimes 5 seconds to see the pictures (uhsii card 150mb/s), when reviewing pictures the focus reticle is sometimes still there, crash on app connect, no usb charging even when the camera says it is charging (15W charger), and I forget some 🫣. I’m confident firmware updates will help but the veery long startup time will likely never be better.

Turning off the wireless connections seem to speed things up.

But unfortunately the default profile which cannot be changed has wireless connection always on. So switching profiles and scrolling past the default profile will lag the system as it has to turn on the wireless connection. 

My Q3 sometimes seems to automatically revert from AF-s to iAF.

Also, in Auto ISO, when I set a maximum shutter speed (f.ex. 1/125th), the camera later reverts to automatic, resulting in blurry pictures (as I'l not aware it's taking pictures at 1/50th or lower).

Someone else have these problems or knows why (if there's a reason)?

1 hour ago, Gueric said:

Have you set up and saved a User Profile (containing your favoured settings)? I use user profiles and have not so far experienced the problem you mention.

Stephen

I'm really conflicted with the Q3. I love the images. But it does feel like they've released it with glitches. Similar to the M11. I´ve experienced freezing requiring battery pull outs at latest six times, it takes between 3-5 seconds to view photos after pressing the play button, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to centralise automatically the focal point (even though that setting is checked it simply doesn't happen and I always have to manually select where to focus by touching or joystick), start up time is slow (maybe 3 seconds or even four before it's ready to shoot), it keeps moving from photo to movie mode when it's hanging from my neck (probably bumping against my chest does that, not sure). At least it charges fine over USB (my M11 would only do that 70% of the time).

Image quality excellent. Focus etc a marked improvement on the Q2 (although I never tried the Q2 with the new most recent firmware). It's very durable (had it out in the pouring rain with no problems). The colours are really wow.

But it just doesn't feel like a finished product. Something I noticed with the M11. It's not a great look for a brand that so aggressively prices their goods (225€ for a sliver of aluminium to support your thumb alone?).

Do you ever download software updates for your computer, tablet, or phone? Fuji regularly seem to offer up software updates for their cameras. You can look at this as a negative or a positive in that the manufacturer is continuously looking to make improvements.

Your choice: glass half full or glass half empty.

32 minutes ago, James1975 said:

start up time is slow (maybe 3 seconds or even four before it's ready to shoot)

I've seen some other comment like that, I believe. I really don't understand it at all as my Q3 is always ready to shoot within a couple of seconds at most.

Stephen

3 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Do you ever download software updates for your computer, tablet, or phone? Fuji regularly seem to offer up software updates for their cameras. You can look at this as a negative or a positive in that the manufacturer is continuously looking to make improvements.

Your choice: glass half full or glass half empty.

If I buy a pint in the pub I would be very upset if it were only half-full!

6 hours ago, Stephen_C said:

Have you set up and saved a User Profile (containing your favoured settings)? I use user profiles and have not so far experienced the problem you mention.

Stephen

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try that (although I shouldn’t need to do that). Btw, I thought I couldn’t edit the profiles and only now, with the help of the manual, I found the ‘Manage profiles’ on the bottom of the list 😉

9 hours ago, Gueric said:

My Q3 sometimes seems to automatically revert from AF-s to iAF.

Also, in Auto ISO, when I set a maximum shutter speed (f.ex. 1/125th), the camera later reverts to automatic, resulting in blurry pictures (as I'l not aware it's taking pictures at 1/50th or lower).

With Leica when using auto ISO and you hit the max ISO set up it will decrease the shutter below the min shutter value. Some brands will just underexpose in that situation.