SL3 Rumored Price

petereprice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

12 minutes ago, JohnSantaF4 said:

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks would be a reasonable SL3 price, given incremental improvements, inflation, and economies of scale in manufacturing, etc

We will know the 100% correct exact amount at launch and will be able to reverse engineer the math with all the variables (the labor cost, worker's wages, cost of cleaning the Wetzlar premises including floors, windows, toilets, taking out the trash, proper disposing of batteries, biohazard waste etc. after work, economies and scale of manufacturing, fees for importing parts from China, marketing expenditure, royalties for L-Mount Alliance and how all of the above is affecing profit margins to ponder on the rationality of the price.

But if you ask me today, same price as SL2 would be so cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Planetwide said:

Since you asked

Canon R5 Key Specs

• Announcement Date: 2020-07-09 
  • 45MP - Full frame CMOS Sensor
  • ISO 100 - 51200 ( expands to 50 - 102400)
  • Canon RF Mount
  • Sensor-shift Image Stabilization
  • 3.20" Fully Articulated Screen
  • 5760k dot Electronic viewfinder 
  • 12.0fps (20.0fps Electronic) continuous shooting 
  • 8K - 8192 x 4320 video resolution
  • 120fps High-Speed Video
  • Built-in Wireless
  • 738g. 138 x 98 x 88 mm
  • Weather-sealed Body

Leica SL2 Key Specs

• Announcement Date: 2019-11-06 
  • 47MP - Full frame CMOS Sensor
  • No Anti-aliasing (AA) filter
  • ISO 100 - 50000 ( expands to 50 - 50000)
  • Leica L Mount
  • Sensor-shift Image Stabilization
  • 3.20" Fixed Type Screen
  • 5760k dot Electronic viewfinder 
  • 20.0fps continuous shooting 
  • 4K (DCI) - 3840 x 2160 video resolution
  • Built-in Wireless
  • 835g. 146 x 107 x 42 mm
  • Weather-sealed Body
  • Replaced Leica SL Compare 
Reasons to choose Canon EOS R5 over Leica SL2
Anti-dust Shutter Mechanism
YesvsNo Shutter is closed to protect the sensor 
LCD Screen
Fully ArticulatedvsFixed Type Flexible shooting positions 
Max ISO
51.200vs50.000 2% higher Max ISO 
Number of Focus Points
5940vs225 5715 more focus points 
Weight
738 gvs835 g 97 g lighter 
Max Video Resolution
8192 x 4320vs3840 x 2160 Higher Resolution Video 
AE Bracketing Range
±5 EVvs±3 EV Wide Bracketing range is useful for HDR 
Selfie & Vlogger LCD
YesvsNo Rotate LCD for taking Selfies 
Focus Bracketing
YesvsNo Take multiple photos shifting focus point 
IS Stop Effectivity
Up to 8.0-stopvsUp to 5.5-stop 2.5 stop more Effective Stabilization 
CFexpress Card Support
Yes (Type B) vsnone Read/Write in Ultra High Speeds 
Animal Eye AF Tracking
YesvsNo Easily lock and track focus on animals 
Vehicle Tracking AF
YesvsNo Easily lock and track racing cars and bikes 
Webcam Function
YesvsNo Use your camera as a Webcam 
Anti Flicker
YesvsNo Reduced uneven color and exposure under flickering light 
Eye Tracking Focus
YesvsNo Autofocus system locks on the eye and tracks the subject 

Reasons to choose Leica SL2 over Canon EOS R5
Viewfinder Magnif.
0.78xvs0.76x Larger Viewfinder 
Sensor Resolution
47 MPvs45 MP 4% more pixels 
Max Elect. Shutter
1/40000svs1/8000s faster electronic shutter 
Battery Life
370 shotsvs320 shots 50 more frames with a single charge 
Flash Sync Port
YesvsNo Connect off-camera flash 
Full-size HDMI Port
YesvsNo Use standard HDMI cables without adapters

You have skipped a lot of reasons to have SL2. 

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

You have skipped a lot of reasons to have SL2. 

I didn't skip anything in the reference that I used. But, just in case, here's the one that I used: https://cameradecision.com/compare/Leica-SL2-vs-Canon-EOS-R5

I do own the SL2 and I agree there are other reasons to own the camera. But my point was that, other camera's do bring a lot more options to the table. Whether, this is relevant to an individual is something only that individual can decide. Many on this board prefer the minimalist nature of Leica's, personally, I don't. I even missed the 4 programmable rear buttons on the original SL, and I wish that they would bring them back

While it's easy to ignore, or not use features in a camera, it's very limiting if you want them and they are just not available.  Again, and I stress, this is personal preference. However, I am at the point where several items will make or break it for me. Items such as a flip up screen, decent AF, better high ISO performance, better focus tools when using MF lenses are a few. We will see what the SL3 brings, along with its price point...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just hidden some posts discussing if a certain term is racist or not.

If you think something unappropriate was written in this forum, please report it.

And do not start an off topic discussion about it.

Thanks
Andreas & the moderators team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

vor 10 Stunden schrieb JohnSantaF4:

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks would be a reasonable SL3 price, given incremental improvements, inflation, and economies of scale in manufacturing, etc.

I believe around 6000 Euro would be reasonable, but I am afraid it will be priced somewhat higher.

For me personally - we have to see what advantages it has over the SL2/ SL2-S. Is the C-AF that much improved, that I could sell my Canon and just use the SL3 for sports as well? (I kind of doubt it). Will the high ISO IQ be as good as SL2-S (or even better)?

What I would really like is a 36 MP SL3-S ;) with AF close to or as good as Canikon-sports cams.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Al Brown said:

We will know the 100% correct exact amount at launch and will be able to reverse engineer the math with all the variables (the labor cost, worker's wages, cost of cleaning the Wetzlar premises including floors, windows, toilets, taking out the trash, proper disposing of batteries, biohazard waste etc. after work, economies and scale of manufacturing, fees for importing parts from China, marketing expenditure, royalties for L-Mount Alliance and how all of the above is affecing profit margins to ponder on the rationality of the price.

But if you ask me today, same price as SL2 would be so cool.

I agree and personally though I believe it's going to come in at about £200/$300 more than the current SL2 pricing, I don't think even Leica think it can take a bigger increase given the Sony A9III. Z8/9 and shortly the R1.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Planetwide said:

I didn't skip anything in the reference that I used. But, just in case, here's the one that I used: https://cameradecision.com/compare/Leica-SL2-vs-Canon-EOS-R5

Fair enough, but that kind of check-mark comparison is rarely useful. It's like young boys comparing their parents' cars by the metric of top speed. I did that with my friends, I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

So the camera that goes to ISO 51,000 is 2% better than the one that goes to ISO 50,000? The camera that has a tick for "8K" is better than the one that can do high-quality 5K all day without overheating? Don't forget that Canon had to release a separate R5c model, with a huge cooling backpack, to get the 8K to work for more than a few minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

Fair enough, but that kind of check-mark comparison is rarely useful. It's like young boys comparing their parents' cars by the metric of top speed. I did that with my friends, I'm sure we weren't the only ones.

So the camera that goes to ISO 51,000 is 2% better than the one that goes to ISO 50,000? The camera that has a tick for "8K" is better than the one that can do high-quality 5K all day without overheating? Don't forget that Canon had to release a separate R5c model, with a huge cooling backpack, to get the 8K to work for more than a few minutes.

Since I own both camera's, I can tell you that most of the differences are true. The SL2, is predominantly a stills camera, with essentially useless AF for video, tracking etc... But as I said in my follow on post, it doesnt' really matter, as it is only about user preference. Leica has chosen a certain ethos (minimalism) vs say Canon/Panasonic etc... IF the camera works for you, then it's what you should buy. I own the SL2, predominantly for non of the reasons that I listed. Do I wish that it had some or all of those points, frankly yes, but I like camera's with buttons vs menu's - again a personal choice. The SL2 does slow me down, and add an M lens, and I enjoy a slower manual experience. I add an APO prime, and it's an amazing image. 

For my commercial work, it's all Canon. Faster, when I need it. Better integration with TS lenses when I need it, better video when I need it. And amazing zooms when I need it. 

Obviously your use case might be different. But we live in an age of very capable camera's from all manufacturer's and each one has its particular advantages.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Planetwide said:

Since I own both camera's, I can tell you that most of the differences are true.

I have/had both cameras but recently sold the R5 and all Canon lenses. The list of differences is true but far from complete. You are also missing some relevant features of Canon. A spec list is not sufficient to describe the differences.

On 2/6/2024 at 6:34 AM, Simone_DF said:

I reckon cost of labor in Japan is expensive (Sigma, Voigtlander), and cost of labor in Portugal is cheaper (Leica). 
Leica support is the industry’s joke. It takes months to get a repair. Don’t know about Sony, but Canon’s service is top notch and fast. 

Does Canon repair 50 years old lenses and bodies? I don't think you quite get what it takes to support for years bodies and lenses. The time it takes is simply a question of size. Which of course is also a reason for costs. But hey keep believing that Leica overcharge. No skin off my back.

• Haha 1

The last percent of quality is always a magnitude more  expensive. You are not only paying for the lens, although it being handmade in an expensive country does not make it cheap to build, you are also paying for Leica not applying cost restraints to optical glass and for precision machining of the mechanical mount to the narrowest possible tolerances. And not to forget: a lens design archive containing the work of some of the most brilliant optical engineers ever, dating back 175 years. As for cameras, Leica prices reflect a small series premium. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 6:34 AM, Simone_DF said:

Don’t know about Sony, but Canon’s service is top notch and fast.

Canon Professional Services (CPS) is indeed quite good, but it's an extra-cost service. You need to own a minimum number of their current professional bodies and lenses to qualify. If you don't qualify/pay for CPS, you'll be in the same boat as everybody else. A local pro had a 1Dx with them for months, because she didn't own enough L lenses to jump the queue. I think she ended-up buying a new body and selling the repaired body when it finally came back.

Sony's US repair services were a source of complaints on the old LensRentals blog, I don't know if that's been resolved, or what the situation is in other markets. At the time, the blog claimed that it wasn't worth it for them to send stuff to Sony, but keep in mind that they could do some sophisticated repairs in-house.

There was a lot of talk a few years ago about Nikon shutting-out all independent repair services in the US.

Hasselblad closed their New Jersey repair facility last year, which is unfortunate because they were excellent.