SL3 Rumored Price

petereprice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don’t mean to be a naysayer here as I’m a big Leica fan and own multiple bodies including the M6, M11-P and Q3.   But is the SL3 at a price rumored to potentially be at $1000 increase from the SL2 new , at $8000+, a bit too expensive for what it’s offering?  I know this might be a silly question when it comes to Leica but hear me out.  

The issue I have is that these new features rumored are only level setting Leica’s AF based cameras to modern competitors like Sony, Canon and Nikon.   Unless they incorporate AI algorithmic subject tracking and its performance match’s that of Sony or Canon, will it be even in the ballpark of consideration in that price range.  But we are talking about a price more expensive than the medium format Fujifilm GFX 100 II and around the Hassleblad X2D.  Both of which are offering bigger sensors.

The Q3 AF is still rudimentary compared to other brands and Panasonic’s current PDAF based AF cameras (priced quite affordable I might ad) like the S5 II and S5 IIx from what I hear has sufficient AF but not nearly as good as Sony, Canon and even Nikon offering comparable flagship camera bodies with premium technologically advanced features at considerably less than $8000.

At least with the M cameras they are offering a highly unique shooting experience that can’t be compared with any other system.  
Same with the Q3, which comes with a highly performant and premium built-in lens like the 28mm Summilux (offering Macro).

I think the current SL’s are a stretch, but are still “kinda” digestible but are already slightly overpriced.  But if this new SL3 is priced over that, I think I would probably wait till it shows up in the used market especially since I currently own a Sony A7rV and can’t see myself selling my entire professional Sony kit to move to this unless it offered something majorly unique worth the price.  And currently just looking at the rumors, I don’t see anything that would justify that price tag even if it has a premium build quality.  But I guess we’ll see when the announcement happens (hopefully) in a month or two.  
But would love to hear others weigh in on this.  

• Like 1

I won’t gonna lie the rumoured price of $8k SL3 make Hasselblad X2D or CFV-100c more attractive. Part of me still hoping SL3 offer features more than fast AF to justify the price. Also hoping the redesign of SL3 back is more closer to minimalistic SL601 with full touchscreen as I not a big fan of 3 buttons design like M10/11 and Q3.

• Like 3

You have to take inflation into account in making comparisons with the SL and SL2. I'm not trying to justify a particular price point - in the end Leica has to price it to sell. I suspect the SL series attracts fewer high rollers looking to buy it for the cachet compared to the M or Q, so Leica is obliged to make its pitch based on performance, not (just) a red dot. We shall see. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

I wonder if any lens bundles would be offered out the gate, say with the non-APOs, to make a system price more palatable?

Not sure I’m in the market, however, I have a GFX and M11. If I ever entertained the SL3 it would be a GFX replacement (autofocus, weather sealing, pixel shift, EVF). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trickness said:

I think an $8000 SL3 is going to be a failure unless it’s got medium format resolution (which is doubtful).

Leica's mirrorless medium format system is rumoured to come in 2025 (with rumours extending to the inner circles in Wetzlar), so SL3 will definitely not have a medium format sensor.

• Like 1

I believe there were similar concerns with the Q3 - rumours of silly price rises. I think even discussions on this very site. The reality was very different and was a pleasant surprise for all. I see no reason to being concerned with rumours. That is all they are.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, trickness said:

I think an $8000 SL3 is going to be a failure unless it’s got medium format resolution (which is doubtful).

I'm never surprised to realize the hordes of people always willing to pay whatever for objects of their desire. I just don't know how well known the Leica SL system is or isn't outside of a few on-line forum communities. 

I do hope the SL system succeeds and am very curious to see how quickly it sells out at release or not. Just not sure Leica pricing whatever it turns out to be is always a determining factor when it comes to those that purchase Leica. 

Edited by LBJ2

54 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

I'm never surprised to realize the hordes of people always willing to pay whatever for objects of their desire. I just don't know how well known the Leica SL system is or isn't outside of a few on-line forum communities. 

I do hope the SL system succeeds and am very curious to see how quickly it sells out at release or not. Just not sure Leica pricing whatever it turns out to be is always a determining factor when it comes to those that purchase Leica. 

I too remember the crazy speculation about how much the Q3 was going to be priced at. And I think realistically, these rumors that the SL3 is going to be $8000 at launch are incorrect. $7495? Maybe. More likely $6999. I hope it ends up being less.

I don’t think that the SL series of cameras inspires lust like the M and Q lines, which are niche products, albeit highly successful ones. They don’t really compete with anything. This is not the case with the SL. So as much as I’m sure Leica would love to sell an SL for 9K, that would require the SL to have a X factor that it just currently does not have.

And I say this as somebody whose favorite camera of all time is the SL2.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Just not sure Leica pricing whatever it turns out to be is always a determining factor when it comes to those that purchase Leica. 

It's not just a Leica thing. The A1 and Z9 are very close to the SL2 price. The SL2 isn't always the most expensive, depending on current offers and bundles. Canon is about to release a range-topping mirrorless, so you can bet they'll want at least as much money for it.

It reminds me of something a mentor pointed-out in my teenage years, namely that an M6 with 50 Summicron, 500 CM kit, F3 with motor, and Sinar "student" kit were almost exactly the same price in the New York stores, and that this price was the same as a high-quality riding mower! It's what the market will bear. Things went a little crazy during the first years of digital, when people were paying $15,000 for a 16 megapixel 1D, but we seem to be back to normalcy (adjusted for inflation). None of these high-end cameras are cheap, they never were, but they aren't really differentiated by price.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, trickness said:

I too remember the crazy speculation about how much the Q3 was going to be priced at. And I think realistically, these rumors that the SL3 is going to be $8000 at launch are incorrect. $7495? Maybe. More likely $6999. I hope it ends up being less.

I don’t think that the SL series of cameras inspires lust like the M and Q lines, which are niche products, albeit highly successful ones. They don’t really compete with anything. This is not the case with the SL. So as much as I’m sure Leica would love to sell an SL for 9K, that would require the SL to have a X factor that it just currently does not have.

And I say this as somebody whose favorite camera of all time is the SL2.

A young female student was lusting after my SL2-S and 24-90 on Saturday (not after me....). She was toting an old Fuji film SLR, and had a number of cheap cameras at home (Lubitel, Braun). Keen photographers with any basic knowledge of the brands are capable of lust for a Leica.

• Haha 2

SL3 at $8k does seem a bit much in light of similar/more lustworthy X2D being the same price.

With the X2D I get more resolution, bigger sensor, and with most of the primes a smaller/lighter/cheaper body+lens package.

I'd have liked to see Leica pursue smaller/slower line of L mount primes rather than rebranding Sigma/Panasonic as they have decided to do.

The APO lenses are technical marvels, but they should be for $5k and 700g for F2.0 speed.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

A young female student was lusting after my SL2-S and 24-90 on Saturday (not after me....). She was toting an old Fuji film SLR, and had a number of cheap cameras at home (Lubitel, Braun). Keen photographers with any basic knowledge of the brands are capable of lust for a Leica.

You only took half of what I said to make your point 🦴

The M and Q cameras inspire IRRATIONAL lust, which makes people open their wallets and ignore things like price, lack of features, or anachronistic technology (rangefinder). 

Lots of people complement my SL2 also, but it's not a fashion accessory for pop stars or well heeled millennials. It does not have the X factor of the M or (to a lesser degree) the Q. It is nowhere near as aspirational a camera as the M or Q.

Edited by trickness
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, steveBK said:

The APO lenses are technical marvels, but they should be for $5k and 700g for F2.0 speed.

Wouldn't you rather they were $500, 200g, and the same Apo performance? How do you decide what price and weight a lens should be?

16 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Wouldn't you rather they were $500, 200g, and the same Apo performance? How do you decide what price and weight a lens should be?

I think I handled that in the preceding line - “I'd have liked to see Leica pursue smaller/slower line of L mount primes rather than rebranding Sigma/Panasonic as they have decided to do.”

Im sure something between 400-500g at a slower speed is achievable with good results for Leica, at a $3k price point maybe  

Rather that than buy a Leica body and put Sigma lenses on it

• Like 2

Personally, I thought the launch of the Q3 was (is) a disaster. But apparently, it sold (is selling) like hotcakes. Marketing concerns have a logic of their own. Like @trickness I too think the SL2 is the best camera I've ever had. I think I'll wait this one out until the SL4 comes around.

• Like 1